Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can anyone help me pay my utility bill,as i am not a M/P.

Eric Potts

Jul 26, 2004
Top o' Hanover
They do a difficult job , and could easily obtain higher salaries in the City for instance . So this seems fair and above board . I too claim expenses to which i am entitled.

They do a difficult job , and could easily obtain higher salaries in the City for instance . So this seems fair and above board . I too claim expenses to which i am entitled.

Yes it's very hard maintaining second homes and duck houses.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
They do a difficult job , and could easily obtain higher salaries in the City for instance.

Could they really though? Can you see Dianne Abbott working on the trading floor at Barclays? If she wasn't an MP she'd have a middle management job with a local council at best.

Alot of these career politicians wouldn't last 5 minutes in the private sector.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)

Maybe we need more classes in school about what one day we might be entitled to to make sure we get our hands on it.
I offer no respect to these so-called top of the ladder business people for being elected as representatives and making their best efforts at cutting their own costs. Surely they're meant to be symbols as to how us commoners should live our lives. To argue that we'd all do it is no good for me as all that says is that we're all greedy shits and that's surely not the message government is trying to give out to us. Fingers crossed the perpetually faux intellectual and self-serving Russell Brand will mouth off momentarily on tv and continue his role as our moral guardian.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the obvious and only fair way forward is to ban all expenses claims. in any profession. see how many journalists sign up to that.

Eric you little scamp you've been fishing on a Sunday!

This sort of rapaciousness amongst MPs could easily be ended.

1. Pay all back bench MPs £150,000 per year.
2. Stop all current allowances to all MPs.
3. MPs then have the choice to use part of their salary on whatever they like instead of claiming expenses.
4. Any MP living over a three hour commute to London will be given a one bedroom self contained flat that is owned by the state.
5. When the MP retires or loses their seat they give back the flat back so the next MP for that particular seat has use of the flat.
6. Any MP living within a three hour commute will get a yearly second class rail season ticket for their journey to London.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I have to say our M/P Karen Bradley has not claimed,but she does employ her husband on the going rate of 42K which is just as bad.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
why do most of the deep red ones I clicked tories?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Eric you little scamp you've been fishing on a Sunday!

This sort of rapaciousness amongst MPs could easily be ended.

1. Pay all back bench MPs £150,000 per year.
2. Stop all current allowances to all MPs.
3. MPs then have the choice to use part of their salary on whatever they like instead of claiming expenses.
4. Any MP living over a three hour commute to London will be given a one bedroom self contained flat that is owned by the state.
5. When the MP retires or loses their seat they give back the flat back so the next MP for that particular seat has use of the flat.
6. Any MP living within a three hour commute will get a yearly second class rail season ticket for their journey to London.

By 3 hour commute do you mean 1.5 hours each way - if so then that would be the vast majority of MPs - if not then it it would be totally unreasonable to expect someone to spend 6 hours a day travelling to and fro work.

Presuming it is the former do you think your proposals would work out any cheaper than the current system of expenses - I suspect it wouldn't though it would need a full costing to work it out.

As an aside, for supporters of a sport that pays its second stream players, (ie Championship players), as ridiculously high wages as it does to then criticise MP's income seems slightly surreal.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here