Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Game changer

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I'm a little shocked that it hasn't been mentioned yet but the substitution of Lita for Forster-Caskey seemed to be the changing point of the match. We had a dire second half without forcing Turnbull to do anything and once the change took place we dominated play.

This could be due to the influence of Lita or down to Oscar's change of formation either way both deserve a mention

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Shows that Oscar wants to win games. Brave move after conceding.
Last season we would have probably brought on El Abd.

We could have had a couple more as well after Lita came on.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009

Agreed, it seemed to change the momentum and something we should look to do more often

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Seemed to do the trick. I was quite surprised when I heard Lita was coming on for JFC rather than Barnes. Not because I don't rate Barnes but because it is somewhat rare for us to have two strikers on the pitch at the same time!

I thought the same but I'm not a Barnes fan. He was poor but to be fair with the system change he was a different player. Up top on his own is not a position for him. He is better a bit deeper and moving forward.

Lita showed the presence, experience and intelligence up top that Barnes lacked. Barnes fed off that well and would be worth considering for the next game.

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Should also congratulate Jones and Garcia for the decision. We all thought Lita for Barnes was going to happen (which was a bit obvious in hindsight) but they took off JFC which was an excellent decision. Which is why I don't manage the team. :)

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'm a little shocked that it hasn't been mentioned yet but the substitution of Lita for Forster-Caskey seemed to be the changing point of the match. We had a dire second half without forcing Turnbull to do anything and once the change took place we dominated play.

This could be due to the influence of Lita or down to Oscar's change of formation either way both deserve a mention

Great thread. You are absolutely correct.

Well done Oscar.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I don't have the evidence to support this theory but it feels like Oscar is happy to go for the win and has done a few times this season. So yesterday wasn't a surprise. Am really starting to enjoy his blend of positive keep ball.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

***I wasn't there***

But can any team go away and expect to dominate the home team for the full 90mins, esp in this division.
PD did his job at half-time and Donny came out to play in the second half.
The Albion weathered it for as long as they could, and then kicked on to win.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
***I wasn't there***

But can any team go away and expect to dominate the home team for the full 90mins, esp in this division.
PD did his job at half-time and Donny came out to play in the second half.
The Albion weathered it for as long as they could, and then kicked on to win.

I agree with this but I doubt og will of been happy with how we seemed to have no answer to Donny and the inevitable goal. Our reaction was first class and all plaudits to the subs made and players but rather than gloss over that second half I think we will be well aware and be working on it,

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

See, what worries me are the comments from Nathan jones after the game. He was talking as if making this substitution was a big risk that they only took because it's been so long since we won and they felt they had to win this one to keep in touch for when everyone else is fit.

Surely that means that they aren't as desperate to win other games, that they seeing going for it as a risk that they haven't previously been willing to go for.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Was it 442 or did he put Barnes out wide left like monday night when Lita came on and Barnes was still on the pitch

On Monday (from what I saw at he game) when Lita came on the tactics seemed to be sit deep and boot it in Lita's direction if you get the chance. Yesterday (listening to the radio) it seemed to be attack and go for the win.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Agreed, it seemed to change the momentum and something we should look to do more often

Err, Oscar also brought Lita on during the last quarter against Yeovil & Watford....?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
On Monday (from what I saw at he game) when Lita came on the tactics seemed to be sit deep and boot it in Lita's direction if you get the chance. Yesterday (listening to the radio) it seemed to be attack and go for the win.

When lita came on we pressed extremely high up the pitch and didn't give Donny an inch of space (we had been giving them miles in the the previous 40 minutes) once we started closing down and pressing we scored two goals and could've had 2 more in added time.

I think maybe we don't have the fitness to press constantly for 90 minutes, you only really see teams full of elite athletes like Barca and Bayern which are able to stay tight to players for 90 minutes make it work, putting that pressure on at the end of the game meant that we used our energy just when Donny were running out of theirs. Great tactics IMO, very well done OG.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As we climb the table under Oscar, as we will, I'll be interested to see if he remains as attack minded in his substitutions when we are drawing or get pegged back. For what it's worth I think he will go for a win rather than a draw whenever possible.

Really looking forward to the rest of the season, the fans, for the most part, have warmed to Oscar and the team seem to understand how he wants them to play. Exciting times again IMO.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I know, right? Last season was shit. Where did we finish? Oh yeah, 4th. Damn Gus and his shit tactics getting us to our highest finish in 30 years. I sure hate that guy.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Err, Oscar also brought Lita on during the last quarter against Yeovil & Watford....?

Yes, at Yeovil he came on for Barnes so no change of set up
Against Watford he came on for Conway which ment we were missing a wide man
Doncaster he came on for a central midfielder which made him another outlet for the midfield and seemed to work better

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here