Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Jonathan Minns

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes
Jonathan Minns , who has died the day after his 75th birthday, was an engineer infused with the spirit of Stephenson and Brunel; entranced by steam and the marvels of mechanical antiquities, he restored a derelict Victorian water pumping station at Hove, Sussex, and transformed it into the “British Engineerium”. In 1971, with a few friends and £350 capital, he saved the Goldstone pumping station in Hove a fortnight before it was due to be demolished.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/technology-obituaries/10421780/Jonathan-Minns.html

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Fascinating Telegraph obituary that's made me feel guilty about never having visited the Engineerium despite loving that kind of stuff.

Hopefully the Engineerium will once again be open to the public, what are they doing there that is taking them so long?

Interesting obit, interesting and rewarding life and he must have had a brilliant childhood. One to add to my "fantasy dinner guest list" - I would sit him with Fred Dibnah and just listen to the chat.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Hopefully the Engineerium will once again be open to the public, what are they doing there that is taking them so long?...

http://www.britishengineerium.org/

"..The historic buildings with their huge steam beam engines are being lovingly restored to their original splendour, and the beautiful gardens landscaped. New exhibition buildings are being constructed utilizing the latest technologies to showcase the way that engineering has created the world.."

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hopefully the Engineerium will once again be open to the public, what are they doing there that is taking them so long?

Interesting obit, interesting and rewarding life and he must have had a brilliant childhood. One to add to my "fantasy dinner guest list" - I would sit him with Fred Dibnah and just listen to the chat.

I seem to remember some local businessman took it over and is embroiled in a planning issue with the council. I'm not sure what his motives are or what the issue is though.

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
MK Seagull, I suggest you read Robert Rankin's 'The Brightonomicon'.
This will put everything into perspective.
Hope to see you soon, after 31/03/14 I'm gone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here