Votes: 25 44.6%
  • The Signalman

Votes: 31 55.4%

• Total voters

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Well here it is, the FINAL tie of the second round, in which we see the much improved Good Companions face off against The Signalman. Only one can progress to the quarter finals so make your vote count

10156743.jpg

V

8124386072_a78747d4e6_z.jpg

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What a match!

Gave it to the companions on the strength of their ale offering. It really was a 2-2 draw with the companions winning on penalties.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not been to either so won't vote in this tie, would rather vote for both pubs in the Evening Star v Farm round !

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think this will be the lowest scoring, least interest tie.

A kind of Paraguay v Greece -type second round match up.

Signalman for being local to me. If they get through, whoever they meet, it will be a hammering for them.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I voted for the Good Companions. Was one of my locals during the years I lived at the Dials and also frequented it back when I attended college up the road. It has improved a lot in the past couple of years.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I think this will be the lowest scoring, least interest tie.

A kind of Paraguay v Greece -type second round match up.

Signalman for being local to me. If they get through, whoever they meet, it will be a hammering for them.

Unless the Farm pulls off an upset, the winner of this tie will be facing the Evening Star in the quarter finals...

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
This is going to be a tight one, Signalman just edges it for me, it's one of my locals and they have good festivals there every now and again.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
The Good Companions the only http://www.indigopubco.com/ pub in the draw. What does that say about the way they do pubs? More a chain pub than Craft.

It says something, probably that all their pubs are alright but none of them are great.

Tough decision this one, two of Brighton's behemoth pubco's facing off.

The Good Companions is a pretty decent boozer during the day but weekend evenings it is horrendous with crazy loud music, and has a quiz hosted by some no mark off Juice one of the week nights so those are pretty big minuses for me.

The Signalman is the more consistent pub, though being Drink in Brighton the ale selection can be variable (too many WJ King offerings for me) though some times it is all Dark Star which I do like.

I'm gonna go for the Signalman, just. GC is too situational to win this tie. Whoever goes through is getting a hell of a beating in the next round anyway.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
The Good Companions the only http://www.indigopubco.com/ pub in the draw. What does that say about the way they do pubs? More a chain pub than Craft.

What it says is that quite a few of the pubs they've taken on were quite troubled before they did. The Good Companions included. The Hanover which is local to where I live now is another pub that is significantly better than it used to be in the bad old days of the Queens Park Tavern. I also prefer The Cow to The Tin Drum at Seven Dials which pre-dated it. They do have a good mix of ales at their pubs, although perhaps sometimes on the pricey side.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
What it says is that quite a few of the pubs they've taken on were quite troubled before they did. The Good Companions included. The Hanover which is local to where I live now is another pub that is significantly better than it used to be in the bad old days of the Queens Park Tavern. I also prefer The Cow to The Tin Drum at Seven Dials which pre-dated it. They do have a good mix of ales at their pubs, although perhaps sometimes on the pricey side.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Reservoir and the choice of beers but most of the other pubs they have are too expensive.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea

What they've done with the old Pub With No Name on Southover Street is very decent too. That place was looking distinctly scruffy before they refreshed it as The Southover and now it has a sterling selection of delectable ales to choose from, including very competitively priced Hophead

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
What they've done with the old Pub With No Name on Southover Street is very decent too. That place was looking distinctly scruffy before they refreshed it as The Southover and now it has a sterling selection of delectable ales to choose from, including very competitively priced Hophead

Haven't been in there since the rebranding, so I should give it a go soon as it is near to me now. What I found when I went there in its PWNN days was that it was one of those pubs that didn't quite know what it wanted to be, so you'd end up with a cramped bar on a Sunday afternoon with people watching the football on the screen all the while families were sitting down to eat roast dinners, with kids running about. It tried to accommodate everyone, but in actual fact made it uncomfortable for everyone. Seems as though they've gone back to trying to make it a more traditional boozer and good luck to them. It was always my favourite pub out of the 5 on Southover Street.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
What a match!

Gave it to the companions on the strength of their ale offering. It really was a 2-2 draw with the companions winning on penalties.
Really, last time I went in there they just had 6 pale ales, that's WEAK in my book.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Well it's a narrow victory for the Signalman in a tie that has obviously failed to inspire most. This is the least voted on match up so far. But it has been a long old round, which is now over.

Tomorrow the quarter finals will begin

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here