Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Firefighters Striking During Firework Weekend.

Right or Wrong?

• Right. They have just cause.

Votes: 27 39.1%
  • Wrong. It's just greed.

Votes: 42 60.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Right or Wrong?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Won't striking affect their ability to do their second jobs? ???

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The whole point of striking is to cause as much disruption as possible, so I guess it makes some sense. But public sympathy, if there is any, will soon disappear if people get injured/die as a result.

The developed world really should be beyond striking by now.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
As I understood it they would still respond to life threatening 999 calls just non emergency 'cat up a tree' type things they would not go to

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
As I understood it they would still respond to life threatening 999 calls just non emergency 'cat up a tree' type things they would not go to

Unfortunately I think the press headlines will have caused more harm than good for public support even if this is the case.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
IMHO striking should be made illegal under any circumstances. Work to rule etc by all means but do not strike as I can see no justification for a strike.

The whole point of striking is to cause as much disruption as possible, so I guess it makes some sense. But public sympathy, if there is any, will soon disappear if people get injured/die as a result.

People won't die or get injured tonight as a result of firemen striking to protect their pensions,they will die or get injured because they are arsing about with pyrotechnics when not qualified to do so.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Anyone voting wrong needs to ask themselves if they'd feel safe being rescued from a burning building by 60 year old firefighter.

If the government are to pigheaded to see this after 3 years of negotiations then striking is sadly necessary.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
People won't die or get injured tonight as a result of firemen striking to protect their pensions,they will die or get injured because they are arsing about with pyrotechnics when not qualified to do so.

While drinking their 7th can of Stella. And while lighting a Chinese Lantern purchased for 99p from Big Pete on London Rd.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
More to the point, with no fire cover, does it impact on the footie this weekend. I'm thinking H&S here.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Anyone voting wrong needs to ask themselves if they'd feel safe being rescued from a burning building by 60 year old firefighter.

If the government are to pigheaded to see this after 3 years of negotiations then striking is sadly necessary.

Remember there are plenty of serving female firefighters (who do a great job) but when considering your scenario also bear in it could well be 60 year old female who rescues you.....................

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I thought they had called this off

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

isnt the point about the timing of the action to bonfire weekend, not the cause? funny how they pick this event for strike action, not for the first time.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Why would anyone not be?

A 60 year old bloke, kept in good condition (which he would be through the demands of his job) is more than capable of doing the job, in this day and age. A lot more so than a 50 year old of 30 years ago, I'd suggest. The rest of us will be working until we are 70. I've have no time for the assertion that 60 is too late for the firefighters.

And I say this as a good friend of a good number of Hampshire Fire and Rescue's finest. I know these blokes really well, as over the years they've all worked alongside me, as casuals, between their shifts.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

I know that the london fire brigade boys actually stay in the station and will respond to life threatening calls , not sure about sussex, I cant say i blame them for striking, nor the postmen , they're being screwed by the government , just the same as hey would've been had we had a labour government.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here