Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Online Backup Recommendations?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Anyone able to recommend a decent online back up service for me? Don't really know much about that sort of thing, but having just finished ripping all my CD's, vinyl and cassette tapes to my PC, I really don't want to lose any of it. It comes out at about 35Gb.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Dropbox is excellent and free up to 18gb,

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Dropbox seconded although I had no idea you could get as much as 18gb free - I thought it was only 2gb unless you refer lots of friends.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Dropbox seconded although I had no idea you could get as much as 18gb free - I thought it was only 2gb unless you refer lots of friends.

Yup you get 500Mb per referral added, but I've had several Gb added without doing anything! :)

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I've currently got 50gb for free on dropbox, came when I got my new Samsung phone.

For just music there are options from both Apple and Google.

iTunes match (http://www.apple.com/uk/itunes/itunes-match) is £21.99 a year to subscribe and allows upto 25,000 tracks to be stored in the cloud.

Google Play Music also offer a service which allows you to upload 20,000 tracks - I thought it was free but it may now be a subscription based services as well.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've currently got 50gb for free on dropbox, came when I got my new Samsung phone.

For just music there are options from both Apple and Google.

iTunes match (http://www.apple.com/uk/itunes/itunes-match) is £21.99 a year to subscribe and allows upto 25,000 tracks to be stored in the cloud.

Google Play Music also offer a service which allows you to upload 20,000 tracks - I thought it was free but it may now be a subscription based services as well.

The great thing about iTunes Match, is that you can upgrade any dodgy quality .mp3 files you have with their lossless format ones at no cost - it just replaces the files in your library. It was well worth the £21.99 for me to just do that.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've just started using copy.com - you get 15gb for starters plus 5gb for each referral. I keep all my digital photos backed up to it. There's clients for Linux, Android, Apple, even Windows.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The great thing about iTunes Match, is that you can upgrade any dodgy quality .mp3 files you have with their lossless format ones at no cost - it just replaces the files in your library. It was well worth the £21.99 for me to just do that.

Now that may well have sold it for me. Quite a few of my cassette and vinyl conversions to mp3 are not the greatest quality, so if I can replace them like that it could be well be worth it.

Cheers guys :thumbsup:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Now that may well have sold it for me. Quite a few of my cassette and vinyl conversions to mp3 are not the greatest quality, so if I can replace them like that it could be well be worth it.

Cheers guys :thumbsup:

The upgrade of the poor quality files only happens if the track is already in the iTunes library though. I suspect in most cases it will be fine but some of the rarer stuff in your collection may not be there.

Dropbox (as I work on PC and occasionally need to sync files with a laptop for meetings), iCloud for my music and Flicker for photos. I often muse where in actuality all my files are, if an asteroid takes out Silicone Valley will I lose it all? Is it all a conspiracy and all of my stuff is actually stored at the Pentagon and GCHQ and is being pored over by little grey men with tinfoil hats or am I just paranoid and should be on the "Conspiracy Theory" thread?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
My backup is in my home rather than online. PC World have a 1TB My Passport portable drive (£58) that plugs straight into your computer via USB. It automatically backs up everything. The WD My Book has a 2TB drive (£89). I use the My Book connected to my modem. It auto backsup not only my laptop, computer but also the Wife's and Daughters, all in password secure folders. It also backsup files when I'm out and locates the My Book from anywhere in the world.
I've quoted PC World but may be cheaper elsewhere.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My backup is in my home rather than online. PC World have a 1TB My Passport portable drive (£58) that plugs straight into your computer via USB. It automatically backs up everything. The WD My Book has a 2TB drive (£89). I use the My Book connected to my modem. It auto backsup not only my laptop, computer but also the Wife's and Daughters, all in password secure folders. It also backsup files when I'm out and locates the My Book from anywhere in the world.
I've quoted PC World but may be cheaper elsewhere.

So if you had a fire, or you were burgled, or you were incredibly unlucky and you're computer hd and portable hd packed up on the same day, you'd still lose all your data?

DanielT

I've just started using copy.com - you get 15gb for starters plus 5gb for each referral. I keep all my digital photos backed up to it. There's clients for Linux, Android, Apple, even Windows.

I've been using Dropbox for years. Tried many other options and always came back. So many good reasons to use dropbox including instant photo uploads from your phone, version history and undelete.

I shall be clicking your link though as I use Plex and they've just announced cloud streaming so the extra 15gb of media storage will be handy. You mentioning Linux and Android first got my vote!

braintree

Jan 12, 2010
I use amazon cloud player, I had to as I have more than 25,000 songs. Same cost as itunes match, but allows 10 times the amount of tracks (250,000). They also upgrade your tracks to 256 kbps audio, and any they can’t match are uploaded for you to stream and/or download anywhere. Also links up with sonos systems.

It has also got a good app and you can access the player from up to 10 different devices.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I have accounts with Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, iCloud, SkyDrive and Mega.co.nz but I think my favourite is SugarSync. It just makes things so effortless.

Dropbox is very good but you still need to tell it when you want something saved to it whereas SugarSync does it automatically, keeping you extra safe. I have it setup to mirror my work and home machines so I can always work on the same documents as need be, wherever I am. And because everyone else in the office is setup with it too, when they're working on files at the office these are updated in real time for me when I'm off site.

If I were near my limit I'd probably upgrade to the pro version but as yet I've not needed to.

For the biggest storage capacity however mega.co.nz comes out on top with a generous 50gb for free

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I use Drop Box, Google Drive, iCloud, all very good

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here