essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I was always under the impression that a goalkeeper
was not allowed to move before the ball was kicked in
a penalty.

If that is a true statement - then Friedel was in breach
of the rule last night for Spurs - he was almost three paces off
the line when he stopped the ball and certainly moved a long
part of that way before the ball was kicked.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
You can move sideways along the line, but not in front of it. Hardly ever gets picked up though, despite it being a relatively simple call for the linesman who is meant to monitor it

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Ta......the angles are narrowed so much even by a couple of paces..
they really should clamp down on it.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The rule is that the keeper can not move forward until the ball has traveled the distance of it's circumference as far as I can remember.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I was watching BT Sport a few weeks ago and when they questioned Mark Halsey about this he actually said "the keeper has to move forward", WTF?

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Badger,

Just shows - I don't think even refs know the bloody rules enough to
apply them. 30 years ago - you used to see penalties re-taken quite
a lot.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
I was always under the impression that a goalkeeper
was not allowed to move before the ball was kicked in
a penalty.

If that is a true statement - then Friedel was in breach
of the rule last night for Spurs - he was almost three paces off
the line when he stopped the ball and certainly moved a long
part of that way before the ball was kicked.

Shocking poem.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
The rule is that the keeper can not move forward until the ball has traveled the distance of it's circumference as far as I can remember.

Fifa say the keeper must stay on his line until the ball is kicked. (Page 44 of the following link)

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/footballdevelopment/refereeing/81/42/36/log2013en_neutral.pdf

The defending goalkeeper:
• must remain on his goal line, facing the kicker, between the goalposts until
the ball has been kicked

This is where the linesman should come in, although it can be difficult for him to hear when the ball is kicked in a noisy stadium it's surely possible for him to see a goalkeeper is off his line before the ball is kicked, especially when some take a big leap forward during the players run up.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
wasnt there a keeper wrongly booked for this foul, who took to deliberatly standing behind the line to avoid being accused again? this, and encrotchment from players, are simply rules, i dont understand why refs let go by so easily.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Fifa say the keeper must stay on his line until the ball is kicked. (Page 44 of the following link)

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/footballdevelopment/refereeing/81/42/36/log2013en_neutral.pdf

This is where the linesman should come in, although it can be difficult for him to hear when the ball is kicked in a noisy stadium it's surely possible for him to see a goalkeeper is off his line before the ball is kicked, especially when some take a big leap forward during the players run up.

Would make sense for the Ref to stand 3 or 4 yrds to the left or right of the ball but look at the keeper. He'll hear exactly when the ball is kicked and can decide on whether the keeper moved. The lino for that side of the pitch can be on the goal line by the corner flag to see if it goes over the line and the fourth official could be in line with the penalty area to ensure there is no encroachment. Alternatively, in the Premier League, the lino for that half can check on encroachment as as they have GLT to determine a goal or not!

Won't happen though.

Encroachment at most penalties hardly ever penalised and neither is forward movement by keepers.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
You can move sideways along the line, but not in front of it. Hardly ever gets picked up though, despite it being a relatively simple call for the linesman who is meant to monitor it

Indeed. Some keepers come so far off the line that it's almost a 50-50 ball.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Indeed. Some keepers come so far off the line that it's almost a 50-50 ball.

I'd like to see a striker stop as he was 'about' to kick it, and show up how far the keeper had already gone. That ought to focus the officals' minds to look for it properly, when the kick was taken. The ref would probably book the striker, mind.

briref

Aug 12, 2008
correct you can move along the line, but cant move forward till the ball is kicked.

rightly or wrongly the advice given to assistants at most levels of football is the keeper is allowed to make one step to save, if he takes the piss it be a retake

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
For any refs out there - why does this law get overlooked so frequently? A penalty is so crucial to a games end result. It's not like the 6 second goalkeeper rule or such like. It would also be fairly easy to officiate?

Is it because in a stadium environment, crowds would get overly agitated with repeat re-takes?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In fairness, the strikers often breach the rules when they take penalties, as do the other players when they encroach into the box before it's taken.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Ben Roberts always used to stand about a foot behind the line and then spring forward. I bloody loved that man.

Still my favourite keeper for the Albion. PIG not included as he is just too good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here