Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bob Dylan

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've recently bought the Best of Bob Dylan and really like it so looking to get a bit more.

Which albums would NSC's resident Dylan experts recommend to get started with ?

bernster

Sep 5, 2012
ye olde east sussex
I've recently bought the Best of Bob Dylan and really like it so looking to get a bit more.

Which albums would NSC's resident Dylan experts recommend to get started with ?
i only became interested in Dylan a few years ago. i have a friend who is a fanatic and he set me on my way with the following three classics
highway 61 revisited
blonde on blonde
blood on the tracks
these will give you a good start then go where the flow takes you

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
An Album originally called "Bringing it all back Home", which I think might have come out with another title. I bought it in the mid (?) 1960's, with tracks like Mr tambourine Man, It's all Over Now, Baby Blue, Maggie's farm, She Belongs to me. Fantastic

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Give The Basement Tapes a listen. Dylan recorded this with The Band; fantastic stuff. Greil Marcus wrote The Old, Weird America (previously titled Invisible Republic) about these bootleg recordings: a great, if geeky,read.

Country Seagull

Jan 11, 2013
61n-bXWdmsL.jpg :jester:

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
So many to choose from..... Oh Mercy is a classic in more recent years. Blood on the tracks is a timeless album as are the basement tapes. Quite partial to Slow train coming....

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Even the worst Dylan albums have one or two great tracks and frankly his mediocre stuff makes most everyone else look a bit silly. If you are really getting a taste for the man the issue won't be what you buy so much as what order you buy it in. I envy you the journey ahead and if I had the opportunity again I would buy and listen to them in chronological order...they're cheap and birthdays and Christmas come every year...the challenge will be not to rush. Enjoy the ride.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Cheers, Just ordered Blonde On Blonde,Bringing It All Back Home,The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan & Highway 61 Revisited

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Cheers, Just ordered Blonde On Blonde,Bringing It All Back Home,The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan & Highway 61 Revisited

You will love them all, may need a few listens but you will love them. You do need to add Desire to that list though.

After these give Nashville Skyline a listen. Dylan goes country, excellent album and very different to his early stuff. It was about then that his voice changed after a motorbike accident and a long layoff,

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Highway 61 Revisited - to check out whether you get 'Desolation Row'. If you don't, you should maybe rethink.

It does Lord B, it does indeed.

I'm looking forward to all these. Funny how your music tastes broaden with age, 30 years ago I would have (and probably did) write Dylan off as a "whining hippy".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here