Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TV Reporters "on location". Why?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
On the TV news they frequently switch to, for example, a reporter standing outside Number 10 when there is an item about the PM.

Why? What does it add to the news item to have the reporter talking outside Number 10 when he/she could say exactly the same from the studio? The latter would be much much cheaper and, in the case of the BBC, keep licence fees down.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
On the TV news they frequently switch to, for example, a reporter standing outside Number 10 when there is an item about the PM.

Why? What does it add to the news item to have the reporter talking outside Number 10 when he/she could say exactly the same from the studio? The latter would be much much cheaper and, in the case of the BBC, keep licence fees down.

You work in IT & not Marketing right?

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
It throws into the subconscious that no.10 (ala the PM) is the place where all is decided / the place of power.

The news use talismanic images into the sub conscious.......most don't see it.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
You realise those outside No.10 also go in No.10 and other govt buildings for briefings, talk the people in and around parliament.

Not true - they are told what to say and then they say it. They are "repeaters" not journalists. If they start 'doing any journalism' they are removed and replaced with a repeater.....but you repeat what the repeater tells you to repeat....so peeps like me will then get insulted by the likes of you (see above).

funny huh.

Mew

Aug 16, 2011
The same reason why people travel hundreds of miles to watch a football on a tv screen that they couldn't get a ticket for..........

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
Not true - they are told what to say and then they say it. They are "repeaters" not journalists. If they start 'doing any journalism' they are removed and replaced with a repeater.....but you repeat what the repeater tells you to repeat....so peeps like me will then get insulted by the likes of you (see above).

funny huh.

Your posts are very funny I agree

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
On a similar theme, do you think the BBC has a specially trained cameraman who goes round filming the midriffs of large people for items about the NHS and obesity ? There also seems to be one who snaps pensioners at tea dances for items on ageing population etc. I object to this as, being close to that age, I am usually just back from my daily 20 mile cycle ride.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It's as bad when they start reading out viewer's tweets and e-mails. I don't care what Thicky from Stupidtown thinks about an issue. I want to know what somebody who actually knows and understands the issue has to say

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
OBs exist so that Sky News can use that absurd, tabloidy 'whooosh' sound effect, to warn their terminally stupid viewers that the next shot will feature someone from far beyond the studio. Then, to make quite sure, the screen is split into halves labelled 'Studio' and 'Beirut'. Sometimes it must be very hard to tell the difference.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I suppose it is a trick to lend some weight to the garbage they spout. The implication is: "I was there, so you should listen to me".

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I am only bothered when its the BBC.
My favourite is when they send a reporter out because there has been a biblical snowstorm overnight yet the reporter is standing there in a couple of millimetres of snow and the odd flake blowing about.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The reporters have spent most of the day inside The Houses of Parliament so they are there anyway. It also adds variety to what would otherwise be a dull, studio based programme. As for not being journalists but "repeaters" they are neither really, they are reporters, there to report on the happenings of the day.
Plus being underneath a studio ceiling blocks radio waves from Lizard control on Blargon 5.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Yes but you have to expect this. The commie BBC reporters, stifle the free press. No BBC, no problem and we can all enjoy Sky News doorstepping the PM just before Sure Men say do more.

On my one visit inside Number 10 (for a transport seminar, hosted by Cherie Blair, followed by nibbles), Roz and I were invited by the doorkeeper to wait a few minutes before leaving, so as to catch the opportunity to emerge from the front door at precisely the moment that some journo or other was doing a live item to camera. A Forrest Gump moment.

... and then there was the time that the BBC's John Young insisted on doing his regional news story about NSC's campaign against Ann de Vecchi by sitting in front of my computer at home, with the offending image on screen. Quite what it added to the story, I'm not quite sure. My desk was a real mess.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here