Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sending Ebay items by post, then getting scammed...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I recently sold an item on ebay, it was only a few quid so I only offered standard 2nd class post. An item of such low value it could not justify a trackable service.

I then get a mail from the buyer saying they didn't receive the item, they then appealed to Paypal and they got a refund, sh1t happens I thought.

Then the buyer gives me a positive feedback and confirmed they had received the goods.

Ebay's response to an appeal....

"As this buyer did not receive the item after your estimated delivery date or during the case, we are not able to overturn our decision"

Of course there is no proof of when the item was received as it was by standard mail, so they kept the goods and got their money back, the prefect scam.

Maybe I'm too trusting, I'll stick to car boot sales in future for such items...

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I always give the buyer the option of 1st Class recorded delivery. Nobody takes it as its quite a lot more expensive, but it weakens their case if things go missing.

Mungo_Jerry

Sep 27, 2011
Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago, although in my case he didn't have the bare faced audacity to leave feedback! Always send everything recorded now as eBay is definitely skewed in favour of the buyer in these cases.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I've had similar dubious buyers on eBay. PayPal is very biased to buyer protection and a lot of buyers know this and will exploit. I've found it helps to use the signed for rather than fully trackable or recorded delivery options as this is available on 2nd class postage. With this you can then at least defend by saying: "well I definitely sent it, so you [the buyer] need to work out who signed for it at your end."

As a seller, eBay won't even let you leave negative feedback against the buyer either. VERY one sided ...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Find it incredible that people can be bothered to scam for such small amounts of money, but if they do it enough it adds up...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Get proof of posting at the Post office when you sent it .

Problem is that still doesn't prove its been delivered, so unfortunately I don't think it would change anything.

Seems Ebay is not fit for purpose for selling cheap items unless its pick up only with cash. Paypal is great for the buyer but for the seller, they pay the Paypal fees but get none of the protection.

dandanutta

Mar 21, 2012
Same happened to me if you got the reciept you can claim compensation from royal mail, i sent a parcel 2nd class and the same thing happened said he didnt receive it then ebay refunded him. you can print a form off online i got 25 quid back

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Even recorded delivery is a waste of time,I have had 2 items that still say they havnt been delivered and that was months ago.1 item the person claimed and I lost the case and Royal Mail wouldn't refund me because they contacted the person to see if it had been delivered and he never answered them.
The other obviously got there because he left me positive feedback.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've sold about 200 items this year, prices ranging from 99p to £50. I always get proof of posting and if the buyer claims an items hasn't arrived (not had this happen so far) I would claim off the post office. Then if the buyer subsequently says that he did get it, pass it to the post office to investigate; they have a very active fraud investigation team and take a dim view of people claiming stuff has been lost when it hasn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here