Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Off Topic: Broken PS3 Advice

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
So I was watching a blue-ray movie on my PS3 with Mrs Scoffers when the movie just ground to a halt. I thought it was a dirty or scratched disk, so cleaned it up, still didn't work, so i put my GTA V disk in, doesn't work. So my amazing powers of deduction conclude that the disk drive is knackered.

I brought up the hidden menu and selected "rebuild database" as a friend told me to try that, but it made no difference,

I can still play games that I have downloaded and I can get online.

Anyone else seen this? What options do I have except sending it back to Sony?

Last edited:

Apr 12, 2011
Re: Off Top: Broken PS3 Advice

Sounds like the bluray drive might be knackered. Quite common with old 'fat' models, not so sure about the new ones.

If you're reasonably tech savvy it is something you might be able to replace yourself but in all honestly you're best going to Sony for a swap out if it's still under any kind of warranty.

You might want to get Playstation Plus for a month though so you can upload all your save games to the cloud and get them all back on the new machine otherwise you'll lose them.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
PS4 is being released on November 29th , a coincidence ?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Sounds like the bluray drive might be knackered. Quite common with old 'fat' models, not so sure about the new ones.

If you're reasonably tech savvy it is something you might be able to replace yourself but in all honestly you're best going to Sony for a swap out if it's still under any kind of warranty.

You might want to get Playstation Plus for a month though so you can upload all your save games to the cloud and get them all back on the new machine otherwise you'll lose them.

Thanks, that a good idea with the save game stuff.

The other question is, will I be able to play GTA V on the new PS4?

Apr 12, 2011
I don't think there's gonna be backwards compatibility built into PS4s, so you'd have to pick up a PS4 copy.

Some places are doing reduced price trade ups on certain games I think but I don't know the details off the top of my head.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
What options do I have except sending it back to Sony?

If it is still in the warranty period just send it back, as pishing about with it could knacker the warranty.
When my sons one went wrong I rang Sony and they picked it up by courier the next morning, I thought it would be a couple of weeks before I heard anything. That afternnon there was a knock at the door and another courier turned up with a new one. I was impressed.

Apr 12, 2011
There are a number of people out there on Gumtree and Friday Ad or similar who do console repairs if you wanted to avoid Sony.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I got it in 2008 so the warranty is presumably done by now, I might try and just replace the drive myself

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
had the same problem as you on the old ps3,turned out the jigglymathing that reads the discs was dirty,i cleaned it with a high jet whatyoumacallit aerosol and hey presto worked fine.

well only for a couple of weeks then back to issues,so i watched a youtube video on how to clean the reader,that was my first mistake!

to cut a long story short i think your problem is easily fixable,sounds like the "eye" needs a good clean take it to a local fix it bloke though rather than have a go hero at doing it yourself

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Like rockstar are going to want to harm current gen sales with information about next gen projects

Rockstar could place a steaming hot turd in every single GTA V box and it wouldn't harm current-gen sales one iota.

drop dead fred

Mar 8, 2011
Rockstar could place a steaming hot turd in every single GTA V box and it wouldn't harm current-gen sales one iota.

So if six months ago rockstar came out and said we are working on ps4 and xb1 versions you don't think it would of harmed sales ??
Thousands would of held back to purchase on the new hardware

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Well the way I look at it buying GTA V again for PS4 will be cheaper than replacing the drive on my PS3 (assuming that I will buy the PS4 anyway)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It might be something simple like dirt or dust on the lense.

You can activate a strong internal "fan blast" that goes for about 10 seconds by switching the PS3 on at the back, whilst holding your finger down on the eject button.

Might not do anything, but its worth a try.

drop dead fred

Mar 8, 2011
Well the way I look at it buying GTA V again for PS4 will be cheaper than replacing the drive on my PS3 (assuming that I will buy the PS4 anyway)

New laser caddie is about £20 to £30 off the bay
It's not as hard as you would think to replace
Just need to buy the torq screw driver to open the thing up
Done mine 3 years ago still going to this day

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
New laser caddie is about £20 to £30 off the bay
It's not as hard as you would think to replace
Just need to buy the torq screw driver to open the thing up
Done mine 3 years ago still going to this day

Umm, ok, sounds interesting!