Votes: 10 9.0%
  • Not bothered

Votes: 15 13.5%

• Total voters

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The Public Inquiry into the Rampion Offshore Wind Farm begins today.

Just reading through the correspondence (bored today), it seems most objections come from visual impact (use of public funds comes second), while people supporting the proposals appear to like the idea of the view of the wind turbines, usually because of what they represent (renewable energy). By the 212 pieces of correspondence on the website, I'd say there is about 60/40 split in favour of the scheme.

In terms of visual impact alone, will the 175 wind turbines bother you? Will they be an asset or hindrance to the view from the coast?

_65106658_rgb.jpg

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I like the view of wind turbines. There is something peaceful and calming about their slow and quiet spinning.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I would rather it was moved a long a bit. It would be better if it was further towards Peacehaven so it didn't ruin the view of Brighton beach, which could put some tourists off. But I do like the idea of having a wind farm.

Does anyone know how far this wind farm will stretch?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
They could be more visible than the photo suggests - cameras can lie depending on the distance, weather, zoom, focus, light etc. The wind farm from Crosby in Liverpool appears more visible here, but there are other photos where it almost disappears into the horizon

5598725_orig.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
sea views are, frankly, boring. not your view along the coast of course, they can be interesting and exciting. but looking out due south from the linear south coast is Dullsville.

Build it.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I like the view, and I'm in favour of increased investment in renenewables so it gets the thumbs up from me. If you ever visit the Kent coast there is a wind farm visible from Whitstable and it is quite impressive.

Also ours is a particularly windy part of the coast and would be ideally suited for such a venture.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I never understand the "they look shit" argument. I've driven through many parts in France and they look magnificent. The farm down near Rye looks pretty damn good as well. Get's the thumbs up from me just as long as the cost of the power generated from them is reasonable.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Anyone objecting to developments like this should have their electricity supply restricted intermittently, with power cuts of undetermined lengths every other day, so that they can experience what the world be like in the future for all our children, grandchildren etc. FFS the planet MUST change its reliance on fossil fuels, personally I'd put wind turbines all the way round the coast where it's possible to, it should be a global policy, for all nations. Screw the cost, tax those who object to them to pay for them.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
The view off of Brighton beach is hardly picturesque, a few wind turbines won't damage anything.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Anyone objecting to developments like this should have their electricity supply restricted intermittently, with power cuts of undetermined lengths every other day, so that they can experience what the world be like in the future for all our children, grandchildren etc. FFS the planet MUST change its reliance on fossil fuels, personally I'd put wind turbines all the way round the coast where it's possible to, it should be a global policy, for all nations. Screw the cost, tax those who object to them to pay for them.

Exactly this

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Quite like them, and as a poster above said - you would barely see them most days because of crap weather - what with them being 8 miles off the coast and all.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Not sure either way about the view. I can see how the novelty would wear off after a time, since they are effectively dozens of 100+ft high man-made windmills. But then people don't tend to give pylons a second glance these days, do they?

I think it's other issues that concern me about this project: what about boats and wildlife getting caught up in the area? Is it really economically viable when you break down the figures? Will it set a precedent to stick huge numbers of these things all over the place in the near future? Overall I'm not too bothered about it, but then again I'm always prudish about new schemes like these.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I like them personally.

This topic is right up my alley, I wrote my dissertation at Uni on the feasibility of constructing an offshore wind farm in Wales.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I live on a hill overlooking the Dee Estuary and the Irish Sea and probably could see upwards of 200 turbines if I could be bothered to count them. They have all been put up since I moved in but tbh I barely notice them and they certainly don't bother me.

They are there honestly!

u5ave8u9.jpg

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

Not just about the view though Phill and Seagull 27, although that probably doesn't bother you. This is an ancient inshore fishing site, there's wrecks so divers use it and recreational boat users also. There appears to be an assumption by, mainly the fishing and diving groups that it won't be a prohibited area and they will still have access. I personally doubt this, and E.on have not answered their questions concerning access.
Presumably any vessel, large or small, from Shoreham. Brighton and Newhaven will just have to go round, if they want to go due south to France. A lot of unanswered questions.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Won´t they be a danger to seagulls?

I think we should be told.

It needs a scientific study into seagull collisions , there have been fruit bats in South Africa flying into wind turbines.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here