Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Piglets On The Road

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
My better half and I had the pleasure of spending the day of the Yeovil match with Jo from Piglet's, and her fella.

On the train to London, she pitched an idea and asked me what I thought. I thought it could work. So, over to NSC...

Piglet's Pies for Brighton awaydays.

Basically, you pre-order pies (minimum of 4, in any combination of the flavours of the week) from her website, pay for them online and choose your collection point. You'd also give your name on the pre-order, so they know whose is whose. The collection points would be, say, the Amex for the coaches (BHA Blues Away already do this), car park at Brighton Station, and a spot, as yet unspecified near the A27/A23 junction. This hopefully would cater for people on coaches, trains and in cars. Not everyone would be catered for, of course.

There would be a window of time to collect the pies - determined by where the away game in question is.

I'm told she'd charge £3.00 each (min 4) or £20 in total if you order eight. I'm also told she might make the pies slightly larger than current ones (though not confirmed - I may be wrong about that). Naturally, this is all done with people travelling together (rather than on their own) in mind.

It's all still in the planning, and subject to tweaks, but do you think it could work? Would you use this?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why should people want to pre order a pie when going to an away match, when half the fun is a breakfast on route and the fish and chip / curry take awa y to eat coming home. The idea is a non starter for me.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Sounds like a massive ballache just to collect a pie that you can eat every other week at the amex. It's a decent homemade pie, it's not kobe beef from a michellin star kitchen.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
I don't think it needs to be a 'massive hit', just enough to make it worthwhile, collected from a place you were probably going to in the first place.

fair point however

i dont eat pies so its completely irrelevant, however, when choosing something to eat, it all depends on mood, i dont sit at home thinking im going to get a BLT for lunch, cause by lunch time, i may change my mind, so to fork out £20 or however much on something you then HAVE to eat, cant see many people signing up considering theyre at the AMEX every week

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
Im not understanding this idea.

Are the pies cooked and ready to eat? Don't think a pie would be my choice early in morning as usual departure time is AM.
Are the pies uncooked? Not really sure I would want to carry it around all day to eat at some point in the future.

Better idea, why not open a pie shop?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
TLO is on a percentage I reckon.......... Blatant advertising ..........BOZZA !

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Don't think a pie would be my choice early in morning as usual departure time is AM.
Are the pies uncooked? Not really sure I would want to carry it around all day to eat at some point in the future.

Have to agree with this. You would either have a cold (or uncooked) pie later in the day, or be eating a steak pie for breakfast.

Would be a no from me, however I would be interested in buying the pies to eat at home if they had more outlets nearer to me. I know they sell in coop Western road however I wouldn't go that far to get the pie.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Of course the pies would be cooked. They wouldn't expect you to take your own oven.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
So you'd collect a cooked pie before leaving for an away game and presumably, given the majority of departures are in the morning, have to eat it for breakfast?

Can't see it taking off to be honest. I like their pies as much as the next man but they aren't that good that I'd want to divert to Brighton Station car park or pull my car over on the side of the road to collect one. It's just a pie after all.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I think the only way this would and perhaps could work is if they travelled to the away game destination and set up some sort of stall or a mobile catering unit and served the pies at or near the ground. I am sure fans would pay a tad more to enjoy their favourite pie, but only at the right time. Serving pre-lunchtime is probably not going to work.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not that I travel on club coaches or anything, but can't see it being a massive hit. As others have mentioned, most departures are early doors I imagine for away games, so means having a 'lunch' pie for breakfast.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Probably the stupidest idea I've ever heard. A variation that might have the tiniest amount of traction would involve people pre-paying for pies and Piglets somehow turning up at the away turnstiles with them freshly cooked to give out to them that ordered one. The practicalities would likely render such a scheme unfeasible for many reasons, but it's the least stupid option. The whole suggestion smells of greedy pseudo-hippy capitalists who don't have the tiniest effing clue about football culture. Might as well have Grubbs inviting people catching a flight to the Dubai World Cup to pick up a double Malaysia at Pease Pottage to eat on the plane. Idiots.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
It works on the BHA BluesAway coach very well, but we get 30 or so pies, enough for one each basically, depending on the departure time depends on what we get, we've been having the breakfast pie recently which is great, although they do collect them the preceding day and they get cooked up early a.m, and kept in a heat box so they are actually hot when we eat.

It would work on coaches, I like the idea, stopping at services there and back can put another £15 on the budget for the day so £3 for a pie on the way up is great.

For people travelling by car I don't see it as viable, but for coaches it is.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here