Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

People cheering disallowed goals for up to 5 seconds after it's been disallowed.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Does anyone here admit to doing this? By the law of averages some must. It baffles me - ALWAYS the first thing to do if there's any question mark re: offside is to check the lino, check the ref, THEN go crazy.

You see people still celebrating AGES after it's obvious the goal has been disallowed, always confuses me that this happens.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Does anyone here admit to doing this? By the law of averages some must. It baffles me - ALWAYS the first thing to do if there's any question mark re: offside is to check the lino, check the ref, THEN go crazy.

You see people still celebrating AGES after it's obvious the goal has been disallowed, always confuses me that this happens.

Like a crowd catch at cricket!

What the hell are you people watching? Bat is 45 degs to the ground, ball hits ground, bounces up, caught by fielder, half the crowd goes mad. Players aren't doing anything, batsmen retaking his guard, crowd still cheering...:facepalm:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Ummm, I have to admit that I have done so.

The, not very logical I concede, thinking is: "The ball's in their net. That's a goal. I want to celebrate.", followed by "WTF?"

:ffsparr:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I remember a phantom goal at Withdean against Wimbledon/MK Dons, looked like it just dipped under the crossbar at the East end of the ground to us at the back of the singing section in the South. Celebrated for what seemed like ages before we realised that it hadn't gone in and was the game had restarted with a goal kick.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ummm, I have to admit that I have done so.

The, not very logical I concede, thinking is: "The ball's in their net. That's a goal. I want to celebrate.", followed by "WTF?"

:ffsparr:

Point to someone who says they've never done that at football, and I will show you a liar!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
When we were at the Goldstone standing in the North Stand, on one occasion a mate of mine deliberately did NOT go crazy when we scored in the south goal.

While we were leaping around going nuts, I noticed he was just standing there, arms folded, not celebrating at all. Whilst leaping around, I turned to him and said something along the lines of "WE'VE FCKING SCORED MATE WHASSAMATTER ??". He stood there nonplussed, shaking his head saying "nope, offside, its offside, look at the linesmans flag, he's offside". I looked at the lino - no flag. THEN he realised.

With his piss-poor eyesight, what he'd actually seen was a steward in a yellow flourescent jacket standing further down the touchline behind the linesman. With his poor eyesight and skewed perspective, he had somehow managed to interpret the steward standing in the background as a raised linesmans flag. Once the penny had dropped he was delighted at the goal, but gutted he missed most of the celebration.

We did used to drink quite heavily before kickoff.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I thought we had beaten Rushden and Diamonds. I was desperate for a pee, so celebrated my way to the toilet (half time stoppage), unaware that our goal had been disallowed.

I thought the atmosphere was a little subdued, despite our 'scrappy win' and mentioned that to my father, who politely informed me what had happened.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
I jumped up to very loudly celebrate a goal last season (it was away, deliberately forgotten exactly where) until my Wife and 7 year old calmly pointed out that it had actually gone wide. That's not happening again!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I thought we had beaten Rushden and Diamonds. I was desperate for a pee, so celebrated my way to the toilet (half time stoppage), unaware that our goal had been disallowed.

I thought the atmosphere was a little subdued, despite our 'scrappy win' and mentioned that to my father, who politely informed me what had happened.

Brilliant!

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I celebrated the goals Dean Cox scored from the half way line against Stockport a few years ago at Withdean. The two guys with me had to explain that the whistle has gone well well before he shot!

Also, I give you the winner -

All of Smeghurst when Clinton Morrisons goal against us was ruled out for offside in the 1-0 McShane win

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Yeah when sol Campbell scored the header v Argentina in World Cup 98 (France)the pub just went mental, beer going everywhere people crying with joy I was in a 4 man scrum on the floor but after regaining my composure & breath it took a while to sink in that it had been disallowed

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I celebrated the goals Dean Cox scored from the half way line against Stockport a few years ago at Withdean. The two guys with me had to explain that the whistle has gone well well before he shot!

Also, I give you the winner -

All of Smeghurst when Clinton Morrisons goal against us was ruled out for offside in the 1-0 McShane win

I did exactly the opposite because I was behind a pillar at Selhurst. I couldn't understand why Brighton fans were jeering and giving it large, because I couldn't see the linesman's flag. My mates had to tell me so I was a few seconds behind every one else.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Yeah when sol Campbell scored the header v Argentina in World Cup 98 (France)the pub just went mental, beer going everywhere people crying with joy I was in a 4 man scrum on the floor but after regaining my composure & breath it took a while to sink in that it had been disallowed

Identical reaction to the one I remember.

I have never made the same mistake again.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm like you in this respect @Mellotron... and it completely ruined the Millennium Stadium experience for me as I was convinced the ref was going to disallow Knight's penalty, so I didn't celebrate at first. Perhaps celebrating wildly without checking is the best thing to do?

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.

I immediately thought of this goal as pretty much the only time I hadn't noticed the goal was disallowed. There was a scotsman on the next table very vocally cheering Argentina I turned to him with raised arms, clenched fists and a huge roar. :ffsparr: I didn't give him the satisfaction of staying around for the penalty shoot out.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Chester v Brighton. Remember walking into the Deva stadium 20 so minutes late (got let in after banging on the door for a few minutes - paid some fluorescent jacket a fiver) and walked round the corner just as "Brighton" scored. Jumped around a bit, and realised it was a bit quiet, had that horrible sinking feeling, the fluorescent jacket had let me in the home end, wanker. Took me about 30 seconds of a) trying to get out of the "home" end (not good form to celebrate in the home end), and b) Couldn't recognise the fecker who had just scored for us.

Then realised Chester were in the Blue and White stripes - they had exactly the same kit as us, only sponsorship was different. Pretty embarrassed - went and stood in the corner for the rest of the match.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
A combination of my poor eyesight, usually being pissed at matches and my blind faith that somehow, the goal will still be given means I almost always do this.

At the last WC, I kept going mental for ages after Lampard's "equaliser" v Germany because I just KNEW it had to be given eventually... grrr

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here