Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Discipline under Poyet.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
There are many reports of a drinking culture at Sunderland. One of the reasons the players were so unhappy with Di Canio was that he was quite rightly trying to do something about it. There are stories about the players celebrating into the early hours after Sunday's Derby win; fair enough to a point but drinking vodka straight from the bottle is no way for a professional footballer to behave.
Like many of our supporters I agreed with Di Canio's attempts to instil discipline into our squad. Obviously some of his actions were excessive but his general principles were spot on. Did B&HA have any off field discipline problems under Gus and if so did he appear to handle them successfully? Our players will take advantage of any weakness from their manager. Did Gus seem like someone who would make sure everyone knew who was boss?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I don't think there were any obvious problems, to be honest. The players would certainly know who was boss.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Did B&HA have any off field discipline problems under Gus and if so did he appear to handle them successfully?

Hmmm. let's see five of our players up in a court after a drinking session went wrong. One player fined for criminal damage after a night out and another (loan) player done for drinking and driving. It doesn't look good. However, it should be said these were isolated incidents and there are no regular reports of players out on the lash every week.

On the field discipline on the other hand ...

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I don't think you need to have any worries there ... he won't be the blunt instrument that Di Canio was, but he'll let them know who's boss for sure

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hmmm. let's see five of our players up in a court after a drinking session went wrong. One player fined for criminal damage after a night out and another (loan) player done for drinking and driving. It doesn't look good. However, it should be said these were isolated incidents and there are no regular reports of players out on the lash every week.

Don't forget the player in court for a nightclub brawl.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

To Poyet's credit, all that was kept inhouse and not aired publically. He still got the best out of the players he selected and the majority of those mentioned were in the development squad. They were also acquitted.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I don't think you need to have any worries there ... he won't be the blunt instrument that Di Canio was, but he'll let them know who's boss for sure

I tend to agree with this but unfortunately we still had some serious off pitch issues, so Poyet wasn't perfect in that respect. Unlike Di Canio I think Poyet knows there is value in allowing players a bit of down time provided it is not done to excess and doesn't bring the club into disrepute. He even used to take players and partners out for dinner, something he brought from his Chelsea days when he was very close with Zola, Di Matteo etc. Would he enjoy the same dynamics at Sunderland?

The players are still very young men with a lot of money (even more in the Prem) and plenty of spare time. All sorts of temptations are laid before them, as well as being easy targets for mischief makers.

To his credit Poyet did move a couple of players on who didn't sign up to his way of thinking but that was mainly because of football issues, not off the pitch stuff.

Ironically the Club laid down a marker when it dealt with Poyet's indiscretions in a very formal disciplinary process so the players would do well to take note. 'Comply or goodbye'.
After various off pitch events over the last couple of years I suspect the Club is very keen to keep it's community focus and would not tolerate behaviour by any employee that attracts the wrong headlines.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Splitting hairs, the loan player (I assume you mean Gonzalo Jara Reyes) was done for driving while disqualified when he was here. The drink driving episode that got him banned was prior to his arrival. He just decided to drive to a home game as his lift went AWOL. And got stopped.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Poyet tried to sign Monty Panesar , that should tell you all you need to know about the type of player he likes .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
To Poyet's credit, all that was kept inhouse and not aired publically. He still got the best out of the players he selected and the majority of those mentioned were in the development squad. They were also acquitted.
But our disciplinary record under Gus was in the second division.

Had it been under the spot light of 'The Greatest League in the World', which it now will be, Mr Poyet would have struggled to keep his job.

The fact that he did and remained successful only goes to prove the stupidity of the media circus.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
There are many reports of a drinking culture at Sunderland. One of the reasons the players were so unhappy with Di Canio was that he was quite rightly trying to do something about it. There are stories about the players celebrating into the early hours after Sunday's Derby win; fair enough to a point but drinking vodka straight from the bottle is no way for a professional footballer to behave.
Like many of our supporters I agreed with Di Canio's attempts to instil discipline into our squad. Obviously some of his actions were excessive but his general principles were spot on. Did B&HA have any off field discipline problems under Gus and if so did he appear to handle them successfully? Our players will take advantage of any weakness from their manager. Did Gus seem like someone who would make sure everyone knew who was boss?

He seemed to be a good mix to be fair. From what I gather he was pretty sensible in this regard and would allow the players a bit of freedom. Make no mistake though, the players who let him down off the pitch very quickly found themselves black balled (Dunk, Lua Lua (to an extent), Dickenson.) He seems to take unprofessionalism very personally and will not suffer fools at all.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
But our disciplinary record under Gus was in the second division.

Had it been under the spot light of 'The Greatest League in the World', which it now will be, Mr Poyet would have struggled to keep his job.

The fact that he did and remained successful only goes to prove the stupidity of the media circus.

I'm not sure it works like that. I mean, much was made of Arsenal's disciplinary record in Arsene Wenger's first few years in the job, but it wasn't as though he was ever likely to lose his job because of it, not least because that competitive edge that sometimes spilled over also resulted in Arsenal winning trophies regularly at that time.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He seemed to be a good mix to be fair. From what I gather he was pretty sensible in this regard and would allow the players a bit of freedom. Make no mistake though, the players who let him down off the pitch very quickly found themselves black balled (Dunk, Lua Lua (to an extent), Dickenson.) He seems to take unprofessionalism very personally and will not suffer fools at all.

What has Dickenson done? Or do you mean Liam Dickinson ?

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007

I'm pleased to read that. Poyet could hardly have chosen a more difficult first venture into The Premier League, other than following Sir Alex.
The fact that we are in such a desperate position in the table is only half the battle. Many of our players have seen off two managers for being too weak to sort them out (along with other shortcomings) and one manager for being too tough too soon.
Poyet is going to have to walk a fine line between allowing the players to continue in their unprofessional fashion and going too far down the Paolo way. Sunday's win was wonderful but we've seen this before. Players who were pumped up and giving their all slip very quickly back into going through the motions if they can get away with it.
If Gus Poyet can keep us up and change the underlying attitude of so many of our squad he'll have done an amazing job. Both pre and post match he talked about the importance of the result to HIS career; he's stepped on a very wobbly rung of the managerial ladder so he'll certainly have earned it if his next step is higher.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I'm pleased to read that. Poyet could hardly have chosen a more difficult first venture into The Premier League, other than following Sir Alex.
The fact that we are in such a desperate position in the table is only half the battle. Many of our players have seen off two managers for being too weak to sort them out (along with other shortcomings) and one manager for being too tough too soon.
Poyet is going to have to walk a fine line between allowing the players to continue in their unprofessional fashion and going too far down the Paolo way. Sunday's win was wonderful but we've seen this before. Players who were pumped up and giving their all slip very quickly back into going through the motions if they can get away with it.
If Gus Poyet can keep us up and change the underlying attitude of so many of our squad he'll have done an amazing job. Both pre and post match he talked about the importance of the result to HIS career; he's stepped on a very wobbly rung of the managerial ladder so he'll certainly have earned it if his next step is higher.

Interesting. What players are the leaders of this drinking culture, and are they dispensable to the club? Is it the Man Utd reserves of Bardsley, O'Shea and Brown? If so, I'd say they'll be gone before too long, can't see Poyet taking the challenge to his authority.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
A small player left the club after being spotted drinking in haywards Heath on a Friday night before a game!! Also face book can be dangerous !!!!!

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
A small player left the club after being spotted drinking in haywards Heath on a Friday night before a game!! Also face book can be dangerous !!!!!

Indeed, can't see him standing for it, BUT, he is a pragmatist and I'm sure if the player in question is absolutely crucial to his success (Fletcher) then he might turn a blind eye!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not sure it works like that. I mean, much was made of Arsenal's disciplinary record in Arsene Wenger's first few years in the job, but it wasn't as though he was ever likely to lose his job because of it, not least because that competitive edge that sometimes spilled over also resulted in Arsenal winning trophies regularly at that time.

The English football world has changed so much even in that comparitively short space of time.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Indeed, can't see him standing for it, BUT, he is a pragmatist and I'm sure if the player in question is absolutely crucial to his success (Fletcher) then he might turn a blind eye!

Funny you should mention him!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here