Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Were starting to press much higher up the pitch

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
We are really starting to press higher up the pitch and in numbers.

I lost count of how many times we forced an error from Watford defenders and regained possesion

Something we rarely did under the previous manager.

Our general movement of the ball is also much quicker.

Its coming together slowly but surely :)

And all this with 5 of our front 6 out :)

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
I agree, taking its time but definatly coming...
Showed some real guts last night.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
This is what pleased me most, we are playing much quicker, yes a few balls do go astray but we are still very much WIP.

Had the Croft's shot at the end gone in it would have been team goal of the season, best move that I have seen this season so far. Defence to attack involving 5 or 6 players in double quick time.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Totally agree about pressing higher. I think Oscar's style will be very exciting to watch once we get back our most talented players to execute it. As a certain ex-Albion Manager would say - Keep The Faith!

We are pressing higher, but when we inevitably lose possession it frightens the merry hell out of me when the opposition break.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Having Bridcutt, Ulloa and Orlandi fit again is going to transform the team. The trick is to not lose too much ground whilst they're out.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
We are in for some excellent football under Oscar, hopefully for a few years.

The passing and possession stats are amazing considering the perception is that we have played a much more direct style including more aggressive and longer forward passes this year.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
We are pressing higher, but when we inevitably lose possession it frightens the merry hell out of me when the opposition break.

Don't panic, Watford are probably the best exponents of the quick break, I don't think there are many teams in the championship as skillfull.

cjwoolven

Jun 4, 2008
Don't panic, Watford are probably the best exponents of the quick break, I don't think there are many teams in the championship as skillfull.

Agree with this. Watford are exceptionally quick on the break, probably the best in the Championship by a margin.

Expecting very good football once we get our key players back from injury. Can't wait.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Agree with this. Watford are exceptionally quick on the break, probably the best in the Championship by a margin.

Expecting very good football once we get our key players back from injury. Can't wait.

Yep. Just hope we are still in touch with the top six.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I share the optimism - Oscar's master plan seems to be coming to fruition nicely and once at full strength it should be exciting. But sadly also there won't be many teams like Watford who are prepared to play 3 at the back while everyone bombs forward leaving so much space, so often. We exploited it well - but most teams tend to park the bus. It will be interesting to see how we unlock those sides.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yep. Just hope we are still in touch with the top six.

Get a good haul of points from the next 4 matches and there is no reason to think we won't be in touch of a playoff place.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

Having said that, apart from the last 10 minutes when they threatened to rip us apart, I thought our defence dealt pretty well with their breaks.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Having said that, apart from the last 10 minutes when they threatened to rip us apart, I thought our defence dealt pretty well with their breaks.

They did have quite a few forwards on the pitch by that stage

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
A positive, interesting thread, thank goodness!

Absolutely agree with this, our movement is much quicker and we close down teams with more urgency.

Can't berate GP's methodical passing style, because it did win matches. BUT, I always felt this would have proved ineffective against Premier League teams (had we been promoted). We were vulnerable against 'hustle and bustle' teams who simply closed us down and forced us further and further back towards our own goal.

I like OG's emphasis on a higher tempo and pressurising opposition in their own half. Players seem to move quicker and find goid positions with more frequency. However, we are lacking a touch of quality and obviously, an outright goalscorer, which is hurting us. With the right personnel returning, I can see some real progress in the near future.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Doesn't mean we have to drop quite so deep though, we just need to retain possession instead of aimlessly lumping it upfield.

I thought that we looked as though we were starting to evolve into an OG team. The possession and passing is not on a par with Gus' team but we are moving the ball much quicker and there were glimpses of a much more exciting game plan than under Poyet. Have you forgotten how often we went deeper and deeper trying to sit on a lead under Poyet? That was my main frustration last season. I don't believe Gus would have made an attacking substitution and I applaud OG for trying to win the game. The aimless lumping is not as aimless as it was. All in all I was quite encouraged by the performance.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here