Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The "enthusiastic but misguided" fans under the police box...

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
... surpassed themselves last night I thought.

Just before half-time with Albion pressing hard for an equaliser, the crowd trying to get behind the players, and what do we get treated to from our singing section...? Yep, a self-regarding chorus of "Go Left, Go Left". Brilliant.

And then later on it just became farcical when these "non-stop singers" refused to join in with the rest of the North Stand's very good "Barmy Army" type chant (not sure of words - was it just "Barmy Army" or something else?)... preferring to wait until it died out so they could start something else.

I sit towards the North end of WSU so unfortunately these goons are pretty much under our noses and hard to ignore.

Sussex By The Sea
Jul 21, 2011

Just before half-time with Albion pressing hard for an equaliser, the crowd trying to get behind the players, and what do we get treated to from our singing section...? Yep, a self-regarding chorus of "Go Left, Go Left". Brilliant.

And then later on it just became farcical when these "non-stop singers" refused to join in with the rest of the North Stand's very good "Barmy Army" type chant (not sure of words - was it just "Barmy Army" or something else?)... preferring to wait until it died out so they could start something else.

I sit towards the North end of WSU so unfortunately these goons are pretty much under our noses and hard to ignore.

Bore off mate, that's our hardcore singers, krispies rules.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
"Tony Bloom's Blue and White Army" they were singing much of the game, I don't blame them for not joining in the "Barmy Army" chant, what's that all about anyway

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

I'm in the same situation, I moved seats this season and have ended up near them. It's a real shame, because they mean well and they get some decent noise going, but they seem to want to do it in competition with the rest of the stand. Why? Nearly every time a song gets going on the left side, they either don't join in and wait for it to quiten down and then start something else, or, worse, they start a totally different song and try and get that going instead. They also have a couple of songs that nobody else joins in with, and they persist with singing them over and over again. If a song doesn't work, bin it, if it is going to catch on it will do quickly. Look at the Oscar Garcia one- pretty poor lyrics, unoriginal and mainly nicked from another club but it instantly caught on and it works. Same with the Ulloa one.

I don't understand the thinking behind these people, surely it would be better if the whole stand sang together? I'd love to know people's opinions who are part of that group, and why they want to be in competition with the rest of the stand. My guess is they'd claim they cant hear the songs coming from the left side, but this is bollocks because I sit about 8 seats away from them and I can hear them clearly.

There must be plenty on here who are in that group, so what's your story?

And yes, "Go left, go left" was a ridiculous song to sing when we were pressing for an equaliser. In that situation we just need NOISE. "Go left, go left" should be reserved for boring periods of the game or stoppages, like that awful "We're the North stand" song.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
There's a couple along WSL south roughly row X that out-do each other with their amazing insight of football endlessly through the game. One gem of out many last night was when a Watford corner in the second half was headered back to the corner taker level with the 6 yard box. The loudest of the two who has a voice that sounds like he's vomiting gravel 'suggested' this . . .

MOVE OUT!!!!!!

That would have worked, leaving 8 Watford players alone in the box level with the ball.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Had to watch it on TV last night, it sounded like the match was being played in an echo chamber. You could hear the Aaaaalbiiion chant a few times overall not bad. Did notice the amount of empty seats though.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
I'm in the same situation, I moved seats this season and have ended up near them. It's a real shame, because they mean well and they get some decent noise going, but they seem to want to do it in competition with the rest of the stand. Why? Nearly every time a song gets going on the left side, they either don't join in and wait for it to quiten down and then start something else, or, worse, they start a totally different song and try and get that going instead. They also have a couple of songs that nobody else joins in with, and they persist with singing them over and over again. If a song doesn't work, bin it, if it is going to catch on it will do quickly. Look at the Oscar Garcia one- pretty poor lyrics, unoriginal and mainly nicked from another club but it instantly caught on and it works. Same with the Ulloa one.

I don't understand the thinking behind these people, surely it would be better if the whole stand sang together? I'd love to know people's opinions who are part of that group, and why they want to be in competition with the rest of the stand. My guess is they'd claim they cant hear the songs coming from the left side, but this is bollocks because I sit about 8 seats away from them and I can hear them clearly.

There must be plenty on here who are in that group, so what's your story?

And yes, "Go left, go left" was a ridiculous song to sing when we were pressing for an equaliser. In that situation we just need NOISE. "Go left, go left" should be reserved for boring periods of the game or stoppages, like that awful "We're the North stand" song.

agree with this,its not helping that they seem to be in competition,very poor effort from the north stand,which was meant to be the place to go to get atmosphere going,it hurts me to say it,but palace with their one blockof ultras create a better atmos,they work together and put the efffort in,doesnt matter how the team plays either.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It never fails to amaze me why fans complain about other fans when they're trying to do something about the atmosphere. Sing if you want, start a song of your own if you want, but stop moaning.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It never fails to amaze me why fans complain about other fans when they're trying to do something about the atmosphere. Sing if you want, start a song of your own if you want, but stop moaning.

Or you could always actually read what has been posted and come up with an answer that makes sense. Nobody is moaning about them creating an atmosphere, they're moaning about them diluting the atmosphere by stopping songs getting going through starting up their own ones in competition to everyone else's.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I sat right in with them at the Forest match. I wil never sit there again. One of them was 45 yrs old going on 13 and what seemed to be an IQ of 3 at best.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
There certainly seems to be an element of 'we didn't start the chant, so we're not joining in.' It seems pretty childish to deliberately start another chant to compete with what's already being sung, IMHO. I don't buy that they can't hear what's going on at the other end of the North Stand.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

Agreed - part of the atmosphere has always been due to rival songs and banter among Albion fans. But as other posters have said last night was a classic example of when the team needed the whole stadium to give it a lift in some key moments with some real noise by singing the same song or just with a collective roar. Yet it was pretty limp for much of the time last night. When Watford fans (among the most timid fans around) make more noise than the home fans you know something isn't right. It certainly didn't sound like a 20k plus crowd could.

It's the same at many away games, there is a faction that seem to completely ignore the main chant and worse still seem happy to dilute the overall impact of our singing. Sounds amateurish.

There is nothing more impressive than a whole crowd giving it a collective song or roar at full volume. I bet it gives the team a lift too plus makes an impression on opposition teams and fans.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
From the vantage point of the East, the North seemed incredibly disjointed last night. The NW corner/control box mob and the more central singers seemed to be on completely different wavelengths. Real shame because the north in unison can be really loud and this year we should have even more volume with the extra people in the corners.

Quietest atmosphere for a long time.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

People aren't saying that though, are they? The general gist seems to be...

1. It's great we've got a group of people together prepared to get songs going.
2. It's a shame that their energies don't seem to be quite directed in the right direction, because
3. The Amex atmosphere can fall flat and they could be great at helping to pick it up.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Surely someone on here is part of that group? Come on, explain yourselves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here