Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings v Watford (h)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
For me

First half I thought pretty much ever one was terrible. Passes going astray, no effort to get the second ball, standing off and letting them run at us.

Second half was mostly better. There was our now all too regular bad start to the second half where we should have gone 2-0 down, but then we got into it, found our passing boots, and were largely the more pressing (dare I say better?) team. Then Lita came on and we seemed to play out for a draw allowing watford more possession and more chances in the last 20mins, which is disappointing given how much we had been attacking that half and how, up until taking off conway and bringing on lita, we were more likely to win so should have gone for it. Especially at home.

Kuszczak 5 - No real chance with the goal, but not otherwise tested, so gets a team average mark.
Bruno 4.5 -
Greer 5 -
Upson 5 -
Ward 5 - Unlucky with the deflection
Andrews 5 - Seemed to try to organise the team a bit, but some bad passing.
Crofts 6 - For my money, he was man of the match. Worked hard, got a goal, seemed to be capable at passing.
JFC 5 - Saw a couple of promising runs, which is more than I've seen from him before. I still don't get why people think he should be getting picked ahead of the others when everyoeis fit.
Buckley 5 - To win the ball off buckley all you have to do is run across his path and he'll give it to you. I don't see how he made man of the match.
Conway 5 - Should have done better with his header, at least work the keeper. Some good corners (i.e. he managed to beat the first man, which we've been struggling with a while)
Barnes 5 - Must be amazing and fantastically quick in training. It's the only explanation for why everyone seems to pass so far away from him, or give him such awkward balls to control. At least once in each half he was in a good position in the box and the ball was played knee high behind him forcing him to take a touch giving opposition a chance to close him down.

Lita - Pointless substitution, can't mark him. He was seemingly brought on to the other ten players could sit deep and boot it up for him to run on to, but then no one actually bothered booting it up anywhere suitable for him. We played that last twenty minutes as if we were playng for the draw.
Calderon - Only on a few minutes and almost provided a winner

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I like the ratings.

It seems when most people give 5/10 they have had a shocker.

1 or 2/10 should be an abysmal performance, not 5 or 6.

My 5s are not intended as 'shocker' ratings. I didn't think anyone had a 'shocker' of a performance. More it was a middling performance overall. Bad in the first half, better in the second. My comments with the marks are more observations I made during the game.

I would agree that 1 or 2 should be reserved for shockers, but I've seen them given for mediocre performances by players the poster just doesn't like (e.g. Barnes, Conway, Dicker) rather than for particularly poor performances.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Kooshack - 6
Bruno - 6.5
Upson - 5
Greer - 5 - Could have potentially gifted them an own goal.
Ward - 7
Andrews - 6
JFC - 6
Crofts - 7
Buckley - 7
Conway - 6
Barnes - 8

Subs
Lita - 6
Calderon - 6

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Kuzsczak - 6

Bruno - 3
Greer - 5
Upson - 5
Ward - 5

Andrews - 5
JFC - 5
Crofts - 6

Buckley - 7
Conway - 5
Barnes - 4

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Kusz 6.5

Bruno 7 (bad first half, very good second)
Greer 5.5
Upson 6
Ward 6.5

Andrews 5.5
JFC 6
Crofts 6.5

Buckley 6.5
Barnes 7
Conway 6

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
For me

First half I thought pretty much ever one was terrible. Passes going astray, no effort to get the second ball, standing off and letting them run at us.

Second half was mostly better. There was our now all too regular bad start to the second half where we should have gone 2-0 down, but then we got into it, found our passing boots, and were largely the more pressing (dare I say better?) team. Then Lita came on and we seemed to play out for a draw allowing watford more possession and more chances in the last 20mins, which is disappointing given how much we had been attacking that half and how, up until taking off conway and bringing on lita, we were more likely to win so should have gone for it. Especially at home.

Kuszczak 5 - No real chance with the goal, but not otherwise tested, so gets a team average mark.
Bruno 4.5 -
Greer 5 -
Upson 5 -
Ward 5 - Unlucky with the deflection
Andrews 5 - Seemed to try to organise the team a bit, but some bad passing.
Crofts 6 - For my money, he was man of the match. Worked hard, got a goal, seemed to be capable at passing.
JFC 5 - Saw a couple of promising runs, which is more than I've seen from him before. I still don't get why people think he should be getting picked ahead of the others when everyoeis fit.
Buckley 5 - To win the ball off buckley all you have to do is run across his path and he'll give it to you. I don't see how he made man of the match.
Conway 5 - Should have done better with his header, at least work the keeper. Some good corners (i.e. he managed to beat the first man, which we've been struggling with a while)
Barnes 5 - Must be amazing and fantastically quick in training. It's the only explanation for why everyone seems to pass so far away from him, or give him such awkward balls to control. At least once in each half he was in a good position in the box and the ball was played knee high behind him forcing him to take a touch giving opposition a chance to close him down.

Lita - Pointless substitution, can't mark him. He was seemingly brought on to the other ten players could sit deep and boot it up for him to run on to, but then no one actually bothered booting it up anywhere suitable for him. We played that last twenty minutes as if we were playng for the draw.
Calderon - Only on a few minutes and almost provided a winner
i disagree i dont think we were that bad in the 1st half

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Can't believe some of these ratings. 5s and 6s? We just drew with one of the best teams in the Championship with half a side missing. Every single player worked their nuts off. Nobody had a 'poor' game overall and several excelled. So glad I'm in the WSU now where you can really appreciate what goes on. The movement was excellent for the first half an hour or so and the odd misplaced pass in midfield only came from trying to play fast one touch football. A couple of worrying ones at the back but that settled down. The one big shocker was the dodgy start to the second half - otherwise, superb team performance that shows loads of promise once we slot in 3 or 4 of our most gifted players.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Thought we were ok at best.

Kuszczak - 5 - bit flappy
Bruno - 6 - lucky to stay on
Greer - 5 - over the line or not, why did he not swing his left at it?
Upson - 6
Ward - 7
JFC - 4 - disappointing, lost all his personal battles in first half
Andrews - 4 - if you are going to pull out of challenges, go back to Bolton!
Crofts - 6
Conway - 5 - used his left foot............ Once. Not good enough
Buckley - 8 - looked dangerous
Barnes - 6 - better when he replaced Conway

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Buckley - 7
Conway - 6
Barnes - 8

Buckley - 7
Conway - 5
Barnes - 4

Were you 2 watching different games?! Personally I thought Barnes was MOM in the first half and played fairly well 2nd half. Definitely worthy of a 7 or 8.

I honestly cannot see where you could get a 4 from, other than perhaps pre-judged hatred. It seems to be the done thing to slate Barnes - give him credit where it's due.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Were you 2 watching different games?! Personally I thought Barnes was MOM in the first half and played fairly well 2nd half. Definitely worthy of a 7 or 8.

I honestly cannot see where you could get a 4 from, other than perhaps pre-judged hatred. It seems to be the done thing to slate Barnes - give him credit where it's due.

I rate Barnes very highly, but to say he was MoM is stretching it a bit far, he lost possession on numerous occasions and although better last night, is still a shadow of his normal self. It's all opinions.

As for the apparent hatred, you are right, I don't get it either.....

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I rate Barnes very highly, but to say he was MoM is stretching it a bit far, he lost possession on numerous occasions and although better last night, is still a shadow of his normal self. It's all opinions.

It's a bit difficult to retain the ball when you only get the ball fired at you hard and high almost every time. Between Barnes and Crofts for MoM for me but definitely not Buckley.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

The commentary team were praising Barnes for his work rate and movement throughout the match. I actually thought Lita looked like he would win it for us. Seems to be able to take up good positions and has a good touch.With a bit more match time with the rest of the team could be really effective.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Kusczack 7
Bruno 6
Greer 6
Upson 6
Ward 7
Andrews 5
JFC 6
Crofts 7
Buckley 8
Conway 6
Barnes 6

Perhaps I need to sit where Oscar sits or in the WSU because I thought the first 45 was the worst I'd seen from us at the AMEX. Thankfully we were much better in the second half.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I don't get the low scores for Bruno. Other than the near penalty, he had a good game.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Thanks to the internet I got my first look at a whole game of Oscar Garcia's Brighton team last night.

The obvious difference between last year and this is the speed. The team certainly play a more direct uptempo game yet still concentrating on the short pass. Is this better? Well, its better on the eye certainly as it makes the game more exciting..... and more risky. perhaps when weve got all the injured players back this tactic will take off but last night I could not but wince at the mischosen passes (completed but the wrong pass), the rushing around occasionally like headless chickens and our truly awful set pieces (a major step back from last year).

I thought Gus style of play was initially dictated by the quality of players at our disposal..... better to take care with possession and passing with our level of players.... an idea which may have outgrown itself by last season when the quality of the team was much higher.... with the eleven we have playing now though this quicker direct style may cause ourselves problems against teams like Watford that can punish us.

The team (no numbers as numbers mean nothing)

PIG - always one of my favourites did fine last night but he is a bit of a moaner.No chance with the goal OOPs forgot the flap,,,,, will forgive him that for being PIG
Bruno - lucky to stay on.... very reckless last night and although ocassionally a danger in the opposing half. One or two good tackles so a mixed bag from him
Ward - unlucky with the goal... couple of good crosses and generally did ok... hope injury isnt a problem because then its..... Chicksen !!!
Greer - lucky man!!! Needs to play with BOTH feet! Generally dependable but tricky quick wingers do undo him
Upson - quiet but did his job
JFC - I am probably in a minority of one but do think its B2B midfielders we need (ie a quicker forward passing Hammond) and JFC does fit that bill. You wont see that much of him in a game but everything he does is tidy and with experience the chances and the goals will come..... his set piece taking needs serious work though. Not a finished product but like the look of him.
Crofts - Good game, dangerous probably our MOM and the second of our needed B2Bs
Andrews - of the three I thought he was the least impressive. Ok but...
Buckley - also a very good game. Really dangerous and seemingly back to his best.... no better crossing and shooting and the old Buckers is back. BTW him and Crofts for MOM
Barnes - hes not strong enough for the Ulloa role and he is definately having a porblem scoring but his harassing and link up work was excellent. Afraid though for his future at the Albion as I suspect he is the wrong type of player to hold down a place. Soemwhere he is goign to do very well, though
Conway - patchy, good at times at everything but not consistent

Lita - he is so obviously not match fit (the danger so loans... by the time they are fit the loan is over) but is the closest to Ulloa well probably find right now. Good cross to set up Crofts chance but needs time and perhaps hasnt got it.

Calderon - fizzed and buzzed int he time remaining but to no real avail

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It's a bit difficult to retain the ball when you only get the ball fired at you hard and high almost every time. Between Barnes and Crofts for MoM for me but definitely not Buckley.

Fair enough, all opinions. Buckley put a serious amount of crosses in last night and looked dangerous throughout, hence my feeling that he was MoM.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton

I said MoM first half. His task was a thankless one last night and he performed it very well.

I'd say Crofts edged MoN for me overall.

Stumpy Tim

Kooshack - 6.5. Dealt with everything he needed to well & a couple of decent saves
Bruno - 4. Flashes of genius, but largely an utter liability
Upson - 6. Quietly effective
Greer - 5. Been better
Ward - 6. Solid enough
Andrews - 6. Solid
JFC - 4.5. I'm a big fan, but he was poor. Much more talent than he showed last night
Crofts - 7. Back to his best from a couple of seasons ago & well taken goal
Buckley - 7.5. Threat all night. Lucky considering our other attacking "threat" was pants
Conway - 5. Barely noticed he was playing. No pace, poor delivery. Why?
Barnes - 7. Good display upfront though doesn't look like he's scoring. Lita should have come on for Conway earlier as Barnes looks better in the inside left role

Subs
Lita - 6. Looked like he could score given the chance. Great setup for the late chance
Calderon - too late to rate

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here