Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good point that tonight, showed a good togetherness and a lot of heart.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
i agree with the OP. To take on one of the best teams in the league with the amount of injuries we have, we did damned well.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Thought we were outclassed a bit last night. Watford clearly had more talented footballers. But everyone in Brighton shirt put in a shift and we got a draw.
Hopefully when our creative players return we will be okay.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
I came to the game thinking we were going to get hammered. Instead we dug out a good point. Barnes had a good game. Buckley worked harder than most of his other performances this season and it showed in that we were able to create chances. I thought Conway had a really good game - my MOM. I was frustrated by the midfield play - Watford consistently got to balls first and seemed to make their own luck. Passing and final ball still lacks the quality needed. Had the rub of the green on the goal that was not a goal. Bruno was agricultural at best but did what he needed to do, probably lucky to stay on the pitch. Great goal by Crofts. Great cross in late in the game by Leroy - deserved to be put in.

Overall I thought it was a better performance than injuries and form would have suggested. Good point.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
i agree with the OP. To take on one of the best teams in the league with the amount of injuries we have, we did damned well.

Totally agree. My wife and daughter, who were both with me last night for the first time, both thoroughly enjoyed it and were impressed by Bruno (My daughter in particular has played football at a decent level. her partner, who was watching it on the telly, and who is a part qualified football coach, commented that Barnes is a very clever player, holds it up well and "invites" the foul.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
That was the FIRST home game where I could SEE what Garcia is trying to do. There was a gameplan and none of this token long ball malarky.

It wasn't RUSHED either. People were making their passes stick.

A point at home against a very good watford team with such a changed team was a very good result. Even if we'd lost I'd have been happier with the performance in general.

Hopefully that's the corner turned.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
That was the FIRST home game where I could SEE what Garcia is trying to do. There was a gameplan and none of this token long ball malarky.

A point at home against a very good watford team with such a changed team was a very good result. Even if we'd lost I'd have been happier with the performance in general.

This.

It was very encouraging to see us go forward and try and win the game, the signs are there for all to see that with a fully fit squad we could have beaten Watford last night. I can not put my finger on it, but I already prefer the way we play under Oscar than Gus, but that is just my opinion.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Crofty (the machine) looks back to his old self

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Good post, I though the same re the game plan.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Even so it wasn't our best performance, I actually thought we were much better at closing down Watford than in previous games. We looked more like a team who will take a lot to break down. We intercepted so many Watford moves, it made us look like we can manage the more high tempo matches now. Last year, I don't think we would of had the fight to have come back. Our biggest problem last night is the need for someone big upfront whilst Ulloa is out. Too many hopeless crosses for the wingers to attempt.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There have been games this season when we've gone down with a whimper, devoid of ideas and seemingly spirit.

The most pleasing thing for me last night was the way in which they came out in the second half and fought for it, playing nice football using the wingers. If I'm honest, I thought the more technically superior players were mostly on Watford's side, but the fact that we held them, taking into account the vastly depleted team we're currently fielding, was encouraging.

Also thought Barnes had one of the best games I've seen him play in the line striker role. He seemed to be showing a bit of balls rather than just going down every time he was challenged, won plenty in the air, and a few of his touches under pressure were quite superb.

I'm full of Tuesday morning optimism, me :)

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Compare it to last season at home when we got ripped to pieces without the crippling injury list.

Watford are a very strong team, and I thought Brighton played really well last night.

Throw in the two controversial talking points and it was a thoroughly entertaining Championship contest.

The accepted wisdom seems to be 'we'll be fine once we get all the players back'. My fear is that we will have lost so much ground by then it will not be possible to get into the playoffs even with a decent run.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
An enjoyable game and very encouraging performance but I'm mindful that we were helped by Watford playing a very open expansive game, no sign of a bus being parked at any time, even when they had a lead. That left spaces for us to exploit - which we did. Part of that was due to us moving the ball forward at speed. OK some passes didn't come off but several were top drawer.

It's bizarre that we cannot unlock Yeovil (but then Forest found them no walkover either, te he) and then turn in a performance against Watford. I'm curious to see how we go against Doncaster, I hope we carry over some momentum from last nights game, they are coming off a hiding from 'Boro so I hope we are really positive.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The point about Watford's open approach is very relevant. Their wing-backs were very attack-minded, so with just three at the back Buckley especially got some joy on the flank with Barnes and Conway also keeping the others busy.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Yes we got a bit of luck too. I'd like to see greater options when we're in possession sometimes though, leaving 20-30 yard gaps. It often seems everyone runs away from the player in possession, whereas Watford almost always had a 10 yd passing option.

This is why I think we struggle on the break at times, they forget to leave an easy option as they are bombing forward.

D

Deleted member 22389

Yes, I'm well pleased with that. Considering most of our best players are out it's a good point. We showed guts and determination.

I thought we looked all over the place at times last night, but your right I can't fault the guts and determination from our players. The fact that our heads have not dropped on the field tells me there is more to come and nobody is panicking at the club. The only heads that are dropping are some of our own. Get our injured back and I reckon it will be a completely different story. It only takes two or three players to make that difference.

Cant wait to get Ulloa and CMS back, and get both those two playing all up front together, what a combination. Nobody in this league would want to face that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here