Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buckley targets international call-up [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
[h=3]Buckley targets international call-up[/h]3:00pm Monday 28th October 2013 in Albion By Andy Naylor
2676901.jpg
Will Buckley (left) in his Watford days wants to become another Albion international.
* Will Buckley wants to add his name to Albion's clutter of internationals.

* The Seagulls' squad is crammed with recent past or present countrymen.

* Gordon Greer, Craig Conway and Craig Mackail-Smith (Scotland), Matt Upson (England), Andrew Crofts (Wales) Adam El-Abd (Egypt), Tomasz Kuszczak (Poland) and Vitalijs Maksimenko (Latvia) have all been involved on the international scene.

* So too have Keith Andrews and Stephen Ward for the Republic of Ireland. Now Buckley is eager to follow suit.

* The Lancastrian winger qualifies as Irish through a grandfather. The Republic are out of the World Cup and looking for a new manager to succeed Giovanni Trapattoni, so opportunity knocks for the likes of Buckley.

* He said: "Everyone wants to play international football. For the last two years it has probably been a bit rare for Brighton to have as many players as we've had travelling on an international break to their respective countries.

* "It's good for the club and good for the lads. It's the key part of your career, the top really."

* Buckley's chances of an international breakthrough will depend on the wiry wide man recapturing his best form with Albion.

* He has, by his own admission, made a fluctuating start to his third season for the club at The Amex as he prepares for the 200th appearance of his career against former employers Watford tonight.
* Buckley admitted: "I didn't have a really good start, then I had a few good games where I felt I was getting back to my best.

* "It's difficult to assess yourself. I just want to be playing every week, which I am mainly.

* "I've got to create goals and score goals. That's what I'll be judged on at the end, so that's my aim."

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here