Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moving to Eastbourne, Need advice please...

chicogil

Oct 28, 2013
Dear all,

We are moving to Eastbourne and would like to know of good primary schools and nice areas for accommodation.

I heard Old Town and Meads Town are good as well as St John's C of E school, Motcombe, Pashley and Ocklnyge are good ones as well. I have also been warned to stay away from Shinewater and Langney.

Can anyone please give us further advice on it please.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Old Town is starting to become a bad area around Victoria Drive, but Meads is a nice area - as is the Harbour.

The schools you mention arent bad either and Shinewater isnt a great place to be, neither is Willingdon Trees or Hampden Park - but Langney isnt bad, good transport links and the shopping centre nearby. Stone Cross is a nice area and the school is good too, though transport isnt the greatest.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
nothing wrong with Langney as long as its at the point or near there and today its very windy.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I KNEW somebody would mention the Old Trip to Jerusalem. But the landlady of The Lamb once told me that certain parts of The Lamb pre-date the Trip. Guess she would say that tho eh?

Well you did say arguably.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Langney is okay. Well some of the newer parts to the east of Friday Street are decent. I have two cousins who live there and they've had no bother. Langney primary school is very good as well. I live in Roselands, my kids have been at nearby Tollgate, which we've been pleased with. Roselands is a slightly cheaper option than old town but has decent older housing stock than the marina, Langney Point, other parts of Langney.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I was in Eastbourne the other day and ended up in The Curzon Cinema. Although they show the latest films it is a bit like going back fifty years. The old style tickets, decor, seating etc. Shame there were so few people there. Much better atmosphere than the out of town multiplexes and a few quid cheaper.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
From a couple of months ago:

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...-Advice-please&highlight=moving+to+eastbourne

Everyone has their own opinions of course. However, most will agree to avoid Shinewater and Kingsmere and anywhere within spitting distance of those two areas. The Northern part of Langney around Eastbourne Borough isn't too bad, but the surrounding parts around the shopping centre aren't all that fantastic imo.

Ratton, Meads, Old Town all okay, but that is reflected in the house prices of course. I think the area around the harbour is overrated and overpriced, but thats just my personal view. There's been a lot of development around the Stone Cross area over the years. Pleasant enough around there, but a fair distance from shopping or train facilities.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Dear all,

We are moving to Eastbourne and would like to know of good primary schools and nice areas for accommodation.

I heard Old Town and Meads Town are good as well as St John's C of E school, Motcombe, Pashley and Ocklnyge are good ones as well. I have also been warned to stay away from Shinewater and Langney.

Moshe Jnr is at St John's and we have friends at the other three schools you name. All are excellent. St. John's is pretty much filled by families with church references so it's "on your knees, avoid the fees" if you fancy that...

The new kid in town is the Gildredge House free school. Too early to say exactly what it will be like but it doesn't seem probable it will be anything other than very good.

You get what you pay for housing-wise in Eastbourne. Meads is by far the nicest area and by far the most expensive. Parts of Old Town and Upperton are next and so it goes on. There are two areas with unusual characteristics that don't quite fit the pattern and they are Sovereign Harbour and the Ratton Estate. Neither are for me but you might decide you like them.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I was in Eastbourne the other day and ended up in The Curzon Cinema. Although they show the latest films it is a bit like going back fifty years. The old style tickets, decor, seating etc. Shame there were so few people there. Much better atmosphere than the out of town multiplexes and a few quid cheaper.

Although this has bugger all to do with the Thread Question, GRF is spot on takes you back in time at the Curzon I'm pleased it not over busy myself .... less munching to listen to.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Dear all,

Budget-wise, you can't really compare Old Town with Meads.

Meads is posh, with fine schools and some lovely period properties. It's also adjacent to the seafront and attracts a number of older (and richer) residents. St John's is an excellent primary school. There are two pubs and a small high street with some decent independent shops. Meads is also expensive so not very popular with younger families or students.

Old Town is a good mix of younger families, couples and oldies. Something for everyone but a much younger vibe than Meads. Again, some great period dwellings (hence the Old Town) and more facilities than Meads. This includes a supermarket and a few pubs. With the younger demographic also comes a few hot-spots for trouble, mainly around Victoria Drive and Albert Parade - but it's hardly the Bronx!

Motcombe and Ocklynge are also highly rated schools.

Ocklynge is also a good compromise. The lower end towards St Anne's Road and The Avenue isn't great (there are loads of HMOs) but further north there are some great properties. It's relatively quiet and it's got good access for town centre too.

Rodmill is quiet too - but mainly attracts older residents to its large stock of bungalows.

Langney is a very large estate to the north east of the town, lots of affordable homes but lacking in any real character. It's mainly a development which sprung up in the 1970 and 80s. It's where Eastbourne Borough is located (formerly Langney Sports FC). Shinewater is a bolt-on to Langney and even more downmarket. Does attract a fair bit of bad press for ASB and crime. I'd avoid.

I'd also avoid Hampden Park and Willingdon Trees (both estates).

The harbour area is up and coming and offers something different. Lots of rental properties but if you like the sea, it's worth a look. Not terribly accessible for town centre so you can feel a bit isolated but a fair option. Next to the harbour is Kingsmere - stay well clear. This is the former Kings Country Club site and is now...er...less desirable....

For school info I'd check the latest OFSTED reports.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Budget-wise, you can't really compare Old Town with Meads.

Meads is posh, with fine schools and some lovely period properties. It's also adjacent to the seafront and attracts a number of older (and richer) residents. St John's is an excellent primary school. There are two pubs and a small high street with some decent independent shops. Meads is also expensive so not very popular with younger families or students.

It was revealed the other day that the Meads area is the first in Britain to have an average age of more than 70.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Ocklynge is a big school but it has a lot of resources, it's one of the few junior schools to have decent playing fields and an indoor swimming pool.

Old town is a nice area but avoid the bit round Royal Sussex Crescent, Cavalry Crescent, Downs Avenue etc. There are a few decent pubs (Don't be put off by the fact that the Landlord of the Prince Albert is currently serving 4.5 years for GBH - it was a "misunderstanding") and Albert parade has a good Chippie & Indian takeaway.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
He only got 4.5 years? Wow. I thought it was more!?

Definitely can't go wrong with the lower end of Old Town, Meads, Ratton, Willingdon, parts of Hampden Park are nice, parts of Friday Street are okay too, new build, private houses mainly. Stone Cross, North Harbour, some of Sovereign Harbour.

Stay away from town centre, Langney, Shinewater and the area of Hampden park around the Hydeneye.

Motcombe, Ocklynge, West Rise, Pashley are good schools that I know of. The kids of this new free school! Gildrege House are very smart and looks like the makings of a nice school.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Willingdon. 2 good schools, local shops, a couple of parks and right on the foot of the downs. 5 min drive or 20 min walk to polegate station. Good bus service. 4 pubs nearby, the Wheatsheaf being the best Imo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here