Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lou Reed, Peter Hitchens and the ridiculous Daily Mail.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Hitchens, speaking for The Mail on the wireless now accusing Lou Reed of dangerously glamorising drugs. Really? One day after his death? How sensitive.

Yours,
Permanently Outraged of Hampton.

PWA

European Tour 2023/24
Jul 23, 2011
West Sussex
Eamonn Holmes on Sky News this morning:

"I didn't even know Perfect Day was about Heroin"

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I imagine Lou Reed would find it all rather amusing.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
BBC saw fit to use 'Perfect Day' as its Children in Need song a few years back in '97.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Hitchens, speaking for The Mail on the wireless now accusing Lou Reed of dangerously glamorising drugs. Really? One day after his death? How sensitive.

Yours,
Permanently Outraged of Hampton.

Check this out then

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ow-Lou-Reeds-excesses-finally-caught-him.html

The lyrics that they accuse of glamorising drugs both mention ill health/ death
They clearly don't understand that sexuality isn't the 100% Gay/ 100% Straight choice they think it is. Fair play at least they don't print open homophobia any more.
They can't resist having a pop at the BBC

This from the paper that was outraged about Thatcher's memory being besmirched by people celebrating their death.

Normally I won't click on a Mail article, knowing that I'm fuelling their advertising but I just couldn't resist this one.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I imagine Lou Reed would find it all rather amusing.

Indeed he would Nibs. I think I'll take a leaf out of his book too (as it were) & laugh at the stuck-up tosser that Hitchens is: & who he no doubt aspires to represent. :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Eamonn Holmes on Sky News this morning:

"I didn't even know Perfect Day was about Heroin"
Does he know what the song Heroin was about?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

life on mars 73

Oct 19, 2010
Where are the heroin references in Perfect Day ? I thought it was about celebrating spending a lovely day with someone, doing simple things like going to the zoo and stuff.

Mar 13, 2012
To be fair to Eamonn Holmes, Lou Reed did say a number of times that the song was not about heroin but about an obsession from a jilted lover (and it was not as so he tried to hide his addictions and the drug references in so many songs) – That said, easy to see how the lyrics can be thought to be about heroin and addiction generally.

Unfortunately clicked on the bile that is the Mail but will congratulate them on putting together some fantastic iconic images. RIP

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
So, he never saw Trainspotting then?

I've never seen Trainspotting, but I did know that Perfect Day was about Heroin. As indeed are a number of his songs, I heard "Waiting for the/my* Man" on the radio this morning too.

Song is called "Waiting for The Man", Reed sings "Waiting for My Man"

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here