Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Please, please, please just think a little before you post

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Albion fans have a long and proud history of not being afraid to ask the difficult questions of those in the privileged position of running what is our football club, and NSC has been a big part of that. Without this approach, there might not be a Brighton & Hove Albion around for us all to support today. As such, as long as I'm involved in NSC, I will always try to ensure this forum allows discussion and debate to be conducted with a very light moderating touch.

There is a line however, and that line is crossed when people stray into libellous territory because that causes me grief. And when I'm in bed, naked (hold that thought) at 11pm on a Sunday night quietly watching MotD2, I could do without that grief.

That grief for me, however, could be nothing compared to the grief for you if you've posted something libellous and the subject of that libel is particularly litigious. Some people and organisations will have deeper pockets than you so facing them in court is likely to be an uncomfortable experience.

So criticise all you like - constructively if you can and pass all the opinion you care to, but please try to refrain from making unsubstantiated accusations, because it might not end well.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I feel sorry for you Bozza. This seems to be happening all too often lately.

Permanent bans for the guilty parties surely?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Sure was a shame that we didn't have NSC to get weather reports, train info and road closure information on the very day it was needed most.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
TBF (and I guess there are many exceptions) but I'm not sure many of us would know where the line was.

It's not black and white, so for example something said that causes someone offence isn't necessarily libellous but the individual or entity that was the subject of such a statement might believe it to be so and respond with the threat of action.

It's highly complex and also subjective, in the extreme it's pretty obvious but the closer to the line the more difficult it gets.

Policing, and even more, knowing when to make a stand in the defence of "freedom to express a view" must be a nightmare

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
TBF (and I guess there are many exceptions) but I'm not sure many of us would know where the line was.

It's not black and white, so for example something said that causes someone offence isn't necessarily libellous but the individual or entity that was the subject of such a statement might believe it to be so and respond with the threat of action.

It's highly complex and also subjective, in the extreme it's pretty obvious but the closer to the line the more difficult it gets.

Policing, and more importantly knowing when to make a stand in the defence of "freedom to express a view" must be a nightmare

I think the mods generally do an excellent job of looking after this board and despite the wind-ups, I do think that it is probably one of the best soccer related messageboards on the net.

Where I believe there may be a few blurred lines is when theres a difference between what's written on NSC and then what's written on social media sites such as Twitter and where there's a difference.

If someone is threatening legal action against a messageboard because of a statement made by a specific contributer, why then don't they threaten the same against Twitter or Facebook if a similar comment is made...After all, I've never seen threats on here compared to some of the hyper-psycho's on Twitter.

I for one would be willing to register for a more stringent set of Terms & Conditions for membership of NSC if it means that we can continue to have open and free discussions.

So well done Bozza and the other guys who police this board for free and in their own time.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Policing, and even more, knowing when to make a stand in the defence of "freedom to express a view" must be a nightmare

In short, if you doubt the accuracy of what you're saying, don't post it. If in doubt leave it out.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Probably doesn't help that the mods or at least one of the mods post tabloid-esq gossip asking people to speculate on it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Have you let the people who offended know? Obviously not by public explanation, but perhaps the people responsible think 'I trust the sauce of this, it is a true fact IMO so can't be libellous' so when closures like this happen don't realise they are responsible, and if you let them know, they won't repeat it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Have you let the people who offended know? Obviously not by public explanation, but perhaps the people responsible think 'I trust the sauce of this, it is a true fact IMO so can't be libellous' so when closures like this happen don't realise they are responsible, and if you let them know, they won't repeat it.

Yes, those discussions have been had.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Sorry to hear your naked enjoyment of MOTD was so rudely interupted, Bozza. It seems like another cautionary tale of what happens when egos; reputations; & opinions become confused within the abstract concept that is oft' referred to as 'the truth'.

Fair play for sticking with it bab & for the time you dedicate to this mighty fine ol' online mouthpiece. :thumbsup:

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Unfortunately, there are some right knobs on here who think it'll be a bit of a laugh to overstep the mark. I say ban them & stop giving the mods grief.It's not big and it's clever.

Oh, and btw Bozza, I'll be round later, say about 11pm?

D

Deleted member 22389

It's good to have alternative chat on NSC but I really don't want bozza to have to close this site down because someone says something silly. When NSC get suspended, I actually feel lost.
This site is my Albion lifeline whilst I am not at The Amex, so we all need to look after it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I guess it was the now heavily edited post where at least 2 people were defamed.

Thought at the time it was at best borderline, should have reported it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And when I'm in bed, naked (hold that thought) at 11pm on a Sunday night quietly watching MotD2, I could do without that grief.

Perhaps if you'd been wearing pyjamas, it might have helped?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Albion fans have a long and proud history of not being afraid to ask the difficult questions of those in the privileged position of running what is our football club, and NSC has been a big part of that. Without this approach, there might not be a Brighton & Hove Albion around for us all to support today. As such, as long as I'm involved in NSC, I will always try to ensure this forum allows discussion and debate to be conducted with a very light moderating touch.

There is a line however, and that line is crossed when people stray into libellous territory because that causes me grief. And when I'm in bed, naked (hold that thought) at 11pm on a Sunday night quietly watching MotD2, I could do without that grief.

That grief for me, however, could be nothing compared to the grief for you if you've posted something libellous and the subject of that libel is particularly litigious. Some people and organisations will have deeper pockets than you so facing them in court is likely to be an uncomfortable experience.

So criticise all you like - constructively if you can and pass all the opinion you care to, but please try to refrain from making unsubstantiated accusations, because it might not end well.

was that inside or outside the covers :lolol:

great job you do matey :bowdown:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It's good to have alternative chat on NSC but I really don't want bozza to have to close this site down because someone says something silly. When NSC get suspended, I actually feel lost.
This site is my Albion lifeline whilst I am not at The Amex, so we all need to look after it.

I similarly felt bereft when I saw the NSC closed message early this morning. And that is genuine - not sarcastic.

I appreciate the freedom on here, prefer to put up with the idiots rather than "ignore" anyone, hope that I am not one of the idiots at any point, butwould not be unhappy if it was felt the mods should be a bit more stringent...........

.......... as long as it doesn't interfere with the Infinite Jukebox.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here