Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Can anyone copy and past the article please ? I've exceeded my 20 free Telegraph online viewings for the month :rant:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That article seems to put the mockers on any more threads of when will TB pull the trigger and it would seem that OG and TB are working on the long term plan.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Can anyone copy and past the article please ? I've exceeded my 20 free Telegraph online viewings for the month :rant:

“I move my life by feelings,” says Óscar García, the man who has moved his life from Barcelona to Brighton. “Not for money. Not necessarily the best offer, or the best players, but if I feel I have to do one thing, I do this thing. Always by feelings. And I felt Brighton would be a good place for me.”
These good feelings endure despite Brighton’s indifferent start, which leaves them 16th in the Championship table as they prepare to face Watford on Monday night. Three months into the job, García believes his side have made genuine progress. Goalless draws at Yeovil and defeats to Newport have not dimmed the enthusiasm.
“We have difficulties with injured players,” he says. “But I am very proud of my team, because we are at the top of the stats for possession, passing accuracy and creating chances.”
This reveals a good deal about García, the 40-year-old with little senior management pedigree but who from the age of nine has been immersed in the Barcelona way. After spending six seasons there as a player, he returned in 2010 to nurture the latest generation of gifted La Masia graduates, spending two years working with the likes of Thiago Alcântara, Isaac Cuenca and Marc Bartra.
In this post-Barcelona landscape, with football still adapting to the seismic shift that Pep Guardiola’s team inspired from 2008 onwards, there is still no more attractive word to put on a manager’s CV.

And although García can claim little credit for the feats of Lionel Messi, Xavi and the rest, he understands the Barcelona philosophy intimately and is eager to spread the gospel. “Why is the Barcelona philosophy so strong? Because from the age of nine, everybody has the same mentality, knowing what they have to do in every game, with every situation,” García says.
“It starts with training. The under-nines team practise very similarly to the first team. The size of the pitch is adapted, but it is more or less the same exercise. The first team was a big example. We watched all their games and tried to do the same things.”
García’s own playing career never quite hit the heights, the attacking midfielder finding his path to the first team blocked by the likes of Luis Enrique, Hristo Stoichkov or Luis Figo. Pep Guardiola was another contemporary, and Garcia remembers: “He was different. He wanted to ask questions, he wanted to know everything. Why we are doing this, why we are doing that. You could see he wanted to be a coach one day.”
And so it was that a decade later, under Guardiola’s management, Barcelona developed into one of the great club sides in history. Yet what is still arguable is how much of this was due to culture, and how much to the serendipity of having so many outstanding footballers converge at once.
García acknowledges that the current generation may prove difficult to replace. “For me, a good player is born a good player,” he says. “But they can improve to a fantastic player. And this generation was born as good players, but altogether they improved, and one of the best things about them was their mentality. They have won everything, and still they want to win another year, another year, another year. It will be difficult to find a generation like this one. Barcelona can replace some, but not all. Not at this level.”
The fruit of García’s own labours will not ripen for a good few years yet, although there has already been much cooing over the likes of Rafinha, Jean-Marie Dongou and Gerard Deulofeu, on loan at Everton. In any case, García has long since moved on, and after winning the Israeli title in his first season with Maccabi Tel Aviv, has arrived on the south coast to answer the question that still exercises football’s greatest minds: to what extent is the Barcelona philosophy replicable at other clubs?
“It’s not easy,” says Garcia. “Barcelona, they’ve been playing like this for 25 years. All the people here know the problems we have with Financial Fair Play. Our budget went down, but for me it is a big success that we have full crowds every game, and most of the fans are enjoying how we are playing.”
Garcia rejects the idea that English players are less receptive to tactical advice than their foreign counterparts. But he accepts that communicating his ideas is the key issue. Ffor the more technical detail, assistant manager and Spanish speaker Nathan Jones is on hand to translate. The master plan will take time, but García is in this for the long haul.
“I had not much time, because I came here on the second day of pre-season training,” he says. “I couldn’t plan many things. But I watched every game of last season. Football is my life. I am watching games all the time, from non-League to Premier League. In every game, I can learn something.”
Monday night's game, live on Sky, may give us the chance to learn something. Results will have to improve, but whether the Garcia revolution succeeds or fails, it will be well worth watching.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I wonder if he took the job knowing this or whether he may have been slightly misled, that is if it has indeed gone down......

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Oscar Garcia aims to bring a bit of the Barcelona magic to Brighton's style of play
Oscar Garcia used to train Barcelona's youngsters and there is no better CV for a manager to have.

By Jonathan Liew

6:06PM GMT 27 Oct 2013

“I move my life by feelings,” says Óscar García, the man who has moved his life from Barcelona to Brighton. “Not for money. Not necessarily the best offer, or the best players, but if I feel I have to do one thing, I do this thing. Always by feelings. And I felt Brighton would be a good place for me.”

These good feelings endure despite Brighton’s indifferent start, which leaves them 16th in the Championship table as they prepare to face Watford on Monday night. Three months into the job, García believes his side have made genuine progress. Goalless draws at Yeovil and defeats to Newport have not dimmed the enthusiasm.

“We have difficulties with injured players,” he says. “But I am very proud of my team, because we are at the top of the stats for possession, passing accuracy and creating chances.”

This reveals a good deal about García, the 40-year-old with little senior management pedigree but who from the age of nine has been immersed in the Barcelona way. After spending six seasons there as a player, he returned in 2010 to nurture the latest generation of gifted La Masia graduates, spending two years working with the likes of Thiago Alcântara, Isaac Cuenca and Marc Bartra.

In this post-Barcelona landscape, with football still adapting to the seismic shift that Pep Guardiola’s team inspired from 2008 onwards, there is still no more attractive word to put on a manager’s CV.

And although García can claim little credit for the feats of Lionel Messi, Xavi and the rest, he understands the Barcelona philosophy intimately and is eager to spread the gospel. “Why is the Barcelona philosophy so strong? Because from the age of nine, everybody has the same mentality, knowing what they have to do in every game, with every situation,” García says.

“It starts with training. The under-nines team practise very similarly to the first team. The size of the pitch is adapted, but it is more or less the same exercise. The first team was a big example. We watched all their games and tried to do the same things.”

García’s own playing career never quite hit the heights, the attacking midfielder finding his path to the first team blocked by the likes of Luis Enrique, Hristo Stoichkov or Luis Figo. Pep Guardiola was another contemporary, and Garcia remembers: “He was different. He wanted to ask questions, he wanted to know everything. Why we are doing this, why we are doing that. You could see he wanted to be a coach one day.”

And so it was that a decade later, under Guardiola’s management, Barcelona developed into one of the great club sides in history. Yet what is still arguable is how much of this was due to culture, and how much to the serendipity of having so many outstanding footballers converge at once.

García acknowledges that the current generation may prove difficult to replace. “For me, a good player is born a good player,” he says. “But they can improve to a fantastic player. And this generation was born as good players, but altogether they improved, and one of the best things about them was their mentality. They have won everything, and still they want to win another year, another year, another year. It will be difficult to find a generation like this one. Barcelona can replace some, but not all. Not at this level.”

The fruit of García’s own labours will not ripen for a good few years yet, although there has already been much cooing over the likes of Rafinha, Jean-Marie Dongou and Gerard Deulofeu, on loan at Everton. In any case, García has long since moved on, and after winning the Israeli title in his first season with Maccabi Tel Aviv, has arrived on the south coast to answer the question that still exercises football’s greatest minds: to what extent is the Barcelona philosophy replicable at other clubs?

“It’s not easy,” says Garcia. “Barcelona, they’ve been playing like this for 25 years. All the people here know the problems we have with Financial Fair Play. Our budget went down, but for me it is a big success that we have full crowds every game, and most of the fans are enjoying how we are playing.”

Garcia rejects the idea that English players are less receptive to tactical advice than their foreign counterparts. But he accepts that communicating his ideas is the key issue. Ffor the more technical detail, assistant manager and Spanish speaker Nathan Jones is on hand to translate. The master plan will take time, but García is in this for the long haul.

“I had not much time, because I came here on the second day of pre-season training,” he says. “I couldn’t plan many things. But I watched every game of last season. Football is my life. I am watching games all the time, from non-League to Premier League. In every game, I can learn something.”

Monday night's game, live on Sky, may give us the chance to learn something. Results will have to improve, but whether the Garcia revolution succeeds or fails, it will be well worth watching.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He says budget, not transfer budget. I believe he meant the clubs operating budget went down, which is not news. Barber and Bloom have said efforts were made to cut the budget elsewhere so the playing budget would remain unaffected.

Good point.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
“But I am very proud of my team, because we are at the top of the stats for possession, passing accuracy and creating chances.”

really?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
“But I am very proud of my team, because we are at the top of the stats for possession, passing accuracy and creating chances.”

really?
I find that very hard to believe.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Was this sort of article not what the Poyet haters wet themselves about?

Should be an interesting response to it. Our budget isn't the problem, the injuries are.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Thank you Bob! and Acker79

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here