Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where were you for the storm of '87?

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
I was only small. Remember going out the next day and there was chaos everywhere - due to ill-preparation and a big tree had come down in the playground. They never removed it, and years later it was a log that everyone sat on/walked along. Such good fun.
I don't have any memory of the storm itself as I slept through it.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
in bed asleep during the storm as it happened over night as i recall...bathroom window ended up in next doors garden...frame and all
...i was more interested in the house i was due to move into.....they lost a single ridge tile

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
spent that night in Seaford,bit lively as they say

had a car crash next day,everyone assumed it was storm damage

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I was in a hotel in London and slept through it - I turned on TV in the morning and thought it was strange that they were in a temporary studio and look out the window to see trees on top of cars. I didn't get home that day as there were no trains or tube so I had to spend another night up there.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
In a cot taking a dump in my nappy, I imagine.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Living at home with my parents, went to Bensons nightclub on the Thursday and whilst walking home in the small hours noticed it was getting a bit windy. Then managed to crash out at home and slep through it, the miraculous thing was that it happened at 2-3am rather than 2-3pm when there might have been some serious casualties.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
St. George's Terrace, Brighton.

Exactly the same place I am now. Except the greenhouse has now gone and the roof on an outbuilding has been replaced. And the trees over the road that survived 1987 are much taller now than they were then.

willow147

Mar 16, 2011
Romney Marsh, Kent
I was staying at a hotel just outside Heathrow Airport, slept through the whole thing. The biggest problem was getting back to Folkestone as all the trains were out. Fortunately we happened to bump into someone else from where I work (also on a course unbeknown to us) who had driven up and was able to offer us a lift home.

The first I knew of the storm was going into the hotel reception and seeing it full of leaves and other random junk.

All week we'd been watching someone erecting a fairly long fence only to see it gone the next morning.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Slept through it in hollingbury, panicked when I woke up late for work. Spent the next couple of days helping clear the road on top of ditchling beacon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here