Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train Alert - Tomorrow morning (Monday)

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
FCC have announced that they will be running NO service before 9AM tomorrow, then a revised service after that. Does seem a bit over the top.

ALL Southern/Gatwick Express services tomorrow will be suspended until "declared safe to run".

Travel tomorrow should be avoided at all costs - take a day off with the kids or work from home !!

Last edited:

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Was that just now? Probably based on the current reports from the South West that the winds are stronger than expected.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
thats fking pathetic. does this mean no trains will run whenever the temperature drops below 2deg this winter?

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
****ing brilliant. I've got to be in Potters Bar by 08:30. My own stupid fault for selling my car and believing that I could always make journeys like that on public transport.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
What a ****ing joke. This country is pathetic.

I wonder if the game might be postponed tomorrow?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
They are going to look a bit daft if the wind relents.

Actually it's totally sensible. I lived in Taiwan for three years where they have regular typhoons in the summer. I've been through quite a few. Normally the day before it's due to hit a "typhoon day" is called and everything shuts down (apart oddly from the bar in our road that I've ridden a couple out in but that's another story). The closure remained even if the storm turned out to be less severe than expected. That way everyone knows where they are a day in advance an no last minute panicky decisions are made. Plus I'd not really fancy driving a train in 80mph winds.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Actually it's totally sensible. I lived in Taiwan for three years where they have regular typhoons in the summer. I've been through quite a few. Normally the day before it's due to hit a "typhoon day" is called and everything shuts down (apart oddly from the bar in our road that I've ridden a couple out in but that's another story). The closure remained even if the storm turned out to be less severe than expected. That way everyone knows where they are a day in advance an no last minute panicky decisions are made. Plus I'd not really fancy driving a train in 80mph winds.

Absolutely. I don't think anyone on a train to Brighton tomorrow morning having it hit by a tree causing exen more delays and possible injuries or death would fancy it either. Inconvenient. And Michael Fish has said it won't be as bad as '87. so we're definitely f*cked.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
South West Trains suspended before 8AM with a 50mph restriction all day.

Southern will run after 9AM with major disruption until 12PM.

Very strong risk of falling trees and power lines - major risk to safety.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
South West Trains suspended before 8AM with a 50mph restriction all day.

Southern will run after 9AM with major disruption until 12PM.

Very strong risk of falling trees and power lines - major risk to safety.

Well edited that last line there!

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Normal Amex service should run according to someone I know from Southern - depends on conditions though.

Police will decide whether it's on or not though.

There is a row of big willow trees out the back of our house that, for years, we have defended against the threat of the axemen employed by the railway. Fortunately the wind direction at the moment is such that, if they do come crashing down - and they are already swaying mightily - they look like they will fall away from the railway line rather than across it. But that can't be guaranteed.

Don't underestimate the power of the wind to blow either whole trees or the debris from big trees into the path of moving trains. The railway's caution on occasions like this seems to me to be wholly sensible.

Tulip

May 3, 2008
Brighton
There is a row of big willow trees out the back of our house that, for years, we have defended against the threat of the axemen employed by the railway. Fortunately the wind direction at the moment is such that, if they do come crashing down - and they are already swaying mightily - they look like they will fall away from the railway line rather than across it. But that can't be guaranteed.

Don't underestimate the power of the wind to blow either whole trees or the debris from big trees into the path of moving trains. The railway's caution on occasions like this seems to me to be wholly sensible.

traintree.jpg

Agreed - inconvenient, but probably for the best...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here