Votes: 6 6.9%
  • The Station Hotel

Votes: 13 14.9%

• Total voters

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Here it is chaps. The last of the groups. If you've not seen your favourite pub so far then you'll be hoping to see it here. As ever, the top two will go through. Happy voting.

Brighton Rocks, Rock Place, Brighton

p194570060-3.jpg

The Farm Tavern, Farm Road, Hove

l.jpg

The Good Companions, Dyke Road, Brighton

10156743.jpg

The Spanish Lady, Longridge Avenue, Saltdean

2216037_b83a57c1.jpg

The Station Hotel, Hampstead Road, Brighton

1916_uploaded_pic1.jpg

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Not sure how its happened but there is some real shit in this group. Real bottom of the barrel offering for the final group, which is odd considering the draw was made at random after the seeds were determined.

Anyway, the seed here is the Good Companions, a pub much improved since its refurb in recent years.

The Spanish Lady is the contest's real wildcard. Very narrowly made it in despite being in Saltdean and I have to confess I know nothing about it. The images online are less than flattering however. Surely it's not going to make it beyond the group.

Brighton Rocks is more of a bar than a pub and is also lucky to be included.

Gutted this group has worked out so piss weak when the likes of the Hand in Hand and the Evening Star can end up drawn together

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
What group was The Bugle in?

EDIT: Just seen it in F. Funny, I didn't spot it the first time I opened that thread.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Good Companions, once a total no-go zone, is now a decent boozer with a very good range of beers and decent food. Brighton Rocks is also a nice place to go, but not a pub as such.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Out of interest, what happened to the Lion & Lobster? Someone nominated it, I seconded it, but it seems to be missing. I know a few other people criticised it but I was under the impression that if a pub got 2 votes, it was included.

Of the ones here, I'm giving this to the Good Companions just from the Farm Tavern. It used to be my local when I lived by the Dials and for a while, it was a bit of a no-go pub. I moved away from the Dials earlier this year, but went and had a drink with someone there in the summer and was really impressed with how it had changed for the better. The Farm Tavern is one of my favourite pubs in Hove and a good place to go for a quiet drink or two, but the Good Companions in its current incarnation just edges it.

Of the others, that Brighton Rocks place I don't think is even called that now. There's 2 pubs on that street from memory, one is called The Rock and the other is a gastro place on the other side of the road (something like the Busby and Wilds(?) named after the two architects that had designed a lot of buildings locally). I've not been in either, so have little insight. Not been in either of the other two pubs mentioned either.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Talking of pubs in Hove, can anyone recommend a good one near the station? Down on Tuesday night and been quite a long time.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Out of interest, what happened to the Lion & Lobster? Someone nominated it, I seconded it, but it seems to be missing. I know a few other people criticised it but I was under the impression that if a pub got 2 votes, it was included.

Of the ones here, I'm giving this to the Good Companions just from the Farm Tavern. It used to be my local when I lived by the Dials and for a while, it was a bit of a no-go pub. I moved away from the Dials earlier this year, but went and had a drink with someone there in the summer and was really impressed with how it had changed for the better. The Farm Tavern is one of my favourite pubs in Hove and a good place to go for a quiet drink or two, but the Good Companions in its current incarnation just edges it.

Of the others, that Brighton Rocks place I don't think is even called that now. There's 2 pubs on that street from memory, one is called The Rock and the other is a gastro place on the other side of the road (something like the Busby and Wilds(?) named after the two architects that had designed a lot of buildings locally). I've not been in either, so have little insight. Not been in either of the other two pubs mentioned either.

Brighton Rocks is still called Brighton Rocks. You're thinking of Rock Street and not Rock Place. The Rock is still there (Rock Street) and the pub opposite was a horrible dive called the I Go Inn, which got tarted up no end as Busby and Wilds.

As for the Lion & Lobster I only counted the one nomination. If it was seconded and I missed it then I can only apologise. I did think it was a shame it got such a slating in the nominations thread because I quite like the place. I'd assumed that nobody else piped up in favour of it because it had received such a bashing.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Brighton Rocks is still called Brighton Rocks. You're thinking of Rock Street and not Rock Place. The Rock is still there (Rock Street) and the pub opposite was a horrible dive called the I Go Inn, which got tarted up no end as Busby and Wilds.

As for the Lion & Lobster I only counted the one nomination. If it was seconded and I missed it then I can only apologise. I did think it was a shame it got such a slating in the nominations thread because I quite like the place. I'd assumed that nobody else piped up in favour of it because it had received such a bashing.

Just looked at the original thread. Bad Fish nominated the L&L. You seconded him and I then also seconded him in another post, although I guess you may have discounted your own vote. Maybe you should give the L&L a play-off against the worst runner-up for a place in round 2. ;-)

And sorry on Brighton Rocks. I must admit Kemp Town pubs are a bit of a gap in my knowledge as I've just never found myself drinking round that way much for some reason.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I must apologise then. Don't know how I've missed it but in my big spreadsheet of votes I only had one down for the Lion and Lobster, so it didn't make it into the list of those for the group stage.

In principle I am up for the play-off idea but I can imagine a lot of people would moan.

As things stand the worst performing runner up has been the World's End but of course this is still pending results in the last three groups, which won't close until tomorrow.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I was only joking with regards to the play-off!

It's annoying I didn't come and post on the morning the voting closed as there's 1 or 2 other pubs I'd have seconded which I think would have provided sterner competition than Wetherspoons pubs and the like which escaped the net.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
To be honest I should have employed some more quality control measures. There were actually several nominations for the Allen Arms which I included in my draw only to discover it hasn't existed for a very long time.

Furthermore I have no doubt that some of the votes for the Cliftonville were entirely facetious but of course it's very difficult to take this into consideration.

East Brighton in general has performed poorly with the Ranelagh already having been knocked out and the Hand in Hand struggling in Group G. I feel a little sad that the Eastside seems to be sorely underrepresented

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Perhaps for future renewals of the competition, the groupings could be done on the basis of each area, e.g.:

Hove
Western Road/West Street
The Lanes
Seven Dials/Brighton Station
Hanover
North Laine
Kemp Town and East Brighton
Lewes Rd/Ditchling Rd/London Rd and vicinity

That way, you ensure representation in all parts of the city with the cream in each area advancing.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
When I lived in Seven Dials, I never once went to The Good Companions - just had the look of one of those pubs that you'd have an uneasy time in. Glad it seems to have changed.

Jimmy Grimble

To be honest I should have employed some more quality control measures. There were actually several nominations for the Allen Arms which I included in my draw only to discover it hasn't existed for a very long time.

Furthermore I have no doubt that some of the votes for the Cliftonville were entirely facetious but of course it's very difficult to take this into consideration.

East Brighton in general has performed poorly with the Ranelagh already having been knocked out and the Hand in Hand struggling in Group G. I feel a little sad that the Eastside seems to be sorely underrepresented

You need to find a way to include the Lion & Lob.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
And that is that. I'm calling time on the final group of this competition.

No surprises in Group G with the Good Companions and the Farm Tavern easily taking first and second, over some pretty weak competition.

Tomorrow will see the first two draws in the knockout phase to see who will win a coveted place in the quarter finals.

See you then everyone

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Perhaps for future renewals of the competition, the groupings could be done on the basis of each area, e.g.:

Hove
Western Road/West Street
The Lanes
Seven Dials/Brighton Station
Hanover
North Laine
Kemp Town and East Brighton
Lewes Rd/Ditchling Rd/London Rd and vicinity

That way, you ensure representation in all parts of the city with the cream in each area advancing.

I rather like this idea, although in practise it could be a little difficult to get right. For instance The Lanes hasn't contributed any pubs to this competition whereas Hanover is a hotbed of quality boozers.

And apologies once again over the Lion and Lobster mishap. I'm sure that next year it will grab its chance

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here