10156622.jpg

The Signalman, Ditchling Rise, Brighton

8124386072_a78747d4e6_z.jpg

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Tough tough group this one.

The Hand is the seed here, and deservedly so. But the Evening Star was always a pre tournament favourite and both the Robin Hood and the Signalman are very decent boozers too.

For those counting, there is just one group left after this, which I will put up tomorrow.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I went for The Signalman here. Strangely, none of these are really pubs that I've ever visited much. I'd imagine after everyone has voted Evening Star will come out on top, but I'm not a major real ale drinker which is really the unique selling point for the place. Kemp Town is a big gap in my pub visiting area so have never been in the Hand In Hand. Robin Hood I think I visited once, but I much prefer the Lion & Lobster in that part of town. Don't think I've ever been in the Alibi. I remember going to The Signalman on a works evening out and it seemed quite a relaxed place where you could sit down and have a conversation in an area of town short of good pubs.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Gah! Can't decide (but obviously not the Alibi)

The Alibi - It feels like the moment Melchet is offered Baldricks painting in Blackadder 4. Oh dear god no.

The Robin Hood - Lovely pub, non profit for charity, local, great pub quiz, BUT they can't serve decent beer. It always tastes shit. Shame.
The Signalman - like it and have spent many a night there but there's a lack of weaker beers, they seem to always have 4.8% upwards. And I saw us lose 1-6 there.

That brings us the to the brewers . . . .
The Evening Star & The Hand in hand. Bah. Can't decide. Oh go on, Evening Star. Shame the others had to go out.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
Small, cosy, friendly and run by an Amex STH - the Robin Hood gets my vote! For those that don't know, it's also a charity pub with net profit shared amongst local charities every year.

(And no, I don't work there but I am in there a lot! :thumbsup:)

Tough tough group this one.

The Hand is the seed here, and deservedly so. But the Evening Star was always a pre tournament favourite and both the Robin Hood and the Signalman are very decent boozers too.

For those counting, there is just one group left after this, which I will put up tomorrow.

:eek: What DO you mean - it used to be a Gay Pub many years ago.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I'm a bit worried that the stiff competition here could make it the first group to see the seed struggle.

The Alibi is the only one I don't know and all the others would be worthy entries into round 2 so this is seriously tough.

At this point I should point out that the eight group seeds were determined by the voting in the nominations thread. There was then a second pot made up of the second tier of pubs with multiple nominations and after this the rest were drawn at random.

If I had been fiddling it I'd certainly have given my own favourite, the Hand, a far easier ride. Here's hoping the good people of NSC see fit to vote it through

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
:eek: What DO you mean - it used to be a Gay Pub many years ago.

Most of the pubs in Kemptown are gay friendly. The Hand attracts a really eclectic crowd, which is one of the reasons it has such a great atmosphere. The Brighton Pub World Cup is a wholly INCLUSIVE competition, welcoming of all.

In the nominations thread the Bulldog did get a nomination and would have been included were it seconded by somebody. It misses out not because it's gay, but because it isn't a very good pub

I'm a bit worried that the stiff competition here could make it the first group to see the seed struggle.

The Alibi is the only one I don't know and all the others would be worthy entries into round 2 so this is seriously tough.

At this point I should point out that the eight group seeds were determined by the voting in the nominations thread. There was then a second pot made up of the second tier of pubs with multiple nominations and after this the rest were drawn at random.

If I had been fiddling it I'd certainly have given my own favourite, the Hand, a far easier ride. Here's hoping the good people of NSC see fit to vote it through

Oh stop it now ! Colossal Squid.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Evening Star for me. The Neptune is better than the Alibi IMHO.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
And that's voting CLOSED in group G.

A VERY tough group has seen the always fancied Evening Star take top spot with the Signalman edging out the Robin Hood and my personal favourite the Hand in Hand for second place.

Both of those unlucky pubs would have fancied their chances in some of the other groups but them's the breaks I'm afraid.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here