Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rather interesting programme about end of the '70's

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Watched this the first time round. Just shows even more clearly what a conniving bitch Thatcher was.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Well quite, that's a given (for us lefties :) but lots of other stuff as well.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Watched this the first time round. Just shows even more clearly what a conniving bitch Thatcher was.

thats one (myopic) view. if you watch the whole series, it shows how we were destroyed as a nation by union demands after union demands, and once proud, successful industries were turned into basket cases. '78 was the last straw, the unions no longer represented the typical common man. if it hadnt have been Thatcher, someone else would have had to deal with the same problems.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
thats one (myopic) view. if you watch the whole series, it shows how we were destroyed as a nation by union demands after union demands, and once proud, successful industries were turned into basket cases. '78 was the last straw, the unions no longer represented the typical common man. if it hadnt have been Thatcher, someone else would have had to deal with the same problems.

Well said. A slightly more balanced viewpoint than just jumping on the anti thatcher bandwagon. Im sure people just repeat what is fashionable to say even when they were too young to have the slightest interest in politics at the time as in my age group. Dominic Sandbrook has written two great books about the 70's which go into great detail about the political and social state of the country during that decade. He was only a kd in the 70's like me

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

you watched this programme and even after the author/director who ever he was clearly gave a good case how the unions ****ing ruined this country you still come away with thatcher is a bitch
you are mental

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Watched it last night and it was like an NSC binfest wet dream. In just a few clips we had football violence, race, race in football, The Specials, the unions, Thatcher and some utterly appalling fashion. If it had been shown prime time and we live posted like our matches it would have run to 30 pages at least.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Spot on....this is from someone who worked through the 70s and watched as the Unions destroyed company after company....Mrs Thatcher was a godsend to this country...at the time, before she took over Britain was branded the 'Sick man of Europe'...we had inflation over 21%,bins were not emptied,transport on strike,dead left unburied...much to the left's delight...if that's how they want to live....let them go to a communist state and live in squalor...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
you watched this programme and even after the author/director who ever he was clearly gave a good case how the unions ****ing ruined this country you still come away with thatcher is a bitch
you are mental

My dad has always said the unions got Thatcher elected. It seemed to back that view up.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
You have no idea what you babble on about...typical leftie...has to resort to calling out that she was a a bitch....because she had more intelligence than you and knew how to get the country back on it's feet.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

I'm not sure anyone could seriously argue that there weren't problems to deal with at that point in this country. She went too far, too fast though. Like all politicians, she was aware of her legacy more than the impact her policies had on real people.

This to me is the problem of the the left right balance in UK politics. One come in, shifts us too far one way, needs another party to come in to sort it out, who in turn shift it too far the other way. Repeat, ad infinitum.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
You have no idea what you babble on about...typical leftie...has to resort to calling out that she was a a bitch....because she had more intelligence than you and knew how to get the country back on it's feet.

Funny. I didn't realise you had a monopoly on opinions.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm not sure anyone could seriously argue that there weren't problems to deal with at that point in this country. She went too far, too fast though. Like all politicians, she was aware of her legacy more than the impact her policies had on real people.

been listneing to Ed Balls too much :wink: jking, at least you are debating it sensibly. i'd include unions in that "all policitians" as they dont really consider the impact beyond their members. there's an argument to be made for how policy was applied, all too often though the whole history of the 70's is ignored. there are also broader economic factors involved that get missed. people didnt want British made anymore because it became shit, people want cheap which wasnt available with a "made in britain" tag on it. meanwhile automation made jobs redundant and entire industries died off as new technologies replaced old. you cant expect businesses, public or private owned, to run forever subsidising jobs on ever increasing wages and associated costs.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

This to me is the problem of the the left right balance in UK politics. One come in, shifts us too far one way, needs another party to come in to sort it out, who in turn shift it too far the other way. Repeat, ad infinitum.

That post, in my opinion is absolutely spot on. Its all about legacy and getting in the history books rather than doing the right thing. No doubt the unions needed sorting but she went much too far in later years and it is still going on today.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I am of the opinion that we need more women in positions of power and heads of state. Which is why I get so baffled that the only one we've had in the UK was such a haridon. She was pretty much told what to do by her male cabinet though. They were the ones that told her to go to war in the falklands as it would guarantee another term in power, before that, no-matter how strong people think she was, or she retrospectively liked to make out, her opinion on the falklands was "Leave it, it's an island halfway around the worlf I'm not defending it" until she was told otherwise.

Having said that, Britain needed somebody to do summat in the 70's/80's.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Spot on....this is from someone who worked through the 70s and watched as the Unions destroyed company after company....Mrs Thatcher was a godsend to this country...at the time, before she took over Britain was branded the 'Sick man of Europe'...we had inflation over 21%,bins were not emptied,transport on strike,dead left unburied...much to the left's delight...if that's how they want to live....let them go to a communist state and live in squalor...

You are Nigel Farrange and I claim my prize.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Germany has very strong trade unions but also strong economic growth, as the unions work with management rather than fight them all the time.

The problem in the 70's was not the Unions per se, but the leadership, which was politically motivated rather than focussed on the long term interests of their members. Similarly management techniques employed by UK companies during the period were outdated and confrontational, with egos and being 'right' taking precedence over goalsetting and problem solving.

Thatcher succeeded because there was a vacuum where there should have been an opposition, and the only dissenting voices to her were Prince Charles and Spitting Image.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here