Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have to say well done Saints

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I am sure there are many who will not agree but I thought that they were mad to fire Adkins but that looks to have been a good move.

They must have the best academy in the English football leagues hopefully we are going to be like them in a couple of years. 3rd in the league FFS!

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Saints are doing fantastically well and whilst I'm no great admirer of them as a team I'm pleased they are up there and bringing something different to the top of the premiership. Sometimes teams just click and get some confidence and I wish it would happen to us sometime soon. They deserve all the plaudits they get at the moment.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I hold my hand up to laughing when I read in the middle of last season that their next goal was to be a top 6 team. I felt the sacking of Adkins was harsh, it seems it wasn't.

Very impressive progress from our South coast neighbours.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
They've done it right, still got a decent percentage of the players who played in league 1 in the squad, adding quality rather than quantity. This is unlike other teams who have tried to change everything too quickly and got in a load of foreign players who don't give 2 hoots. My hate has turned to admiration of their set up. I hope they make the top 6.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I don't mind seeing them up there at all. It'd be great to see them top a few bigger clubs.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Shame their manager hasn't bothered to learn the language yet but fair play to them they have certainly become a lot better set up than previously.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Shame their manager hasn't bothered to learn the language yet but fair play to them they have certainly become a lot better set up than previously.

He speaks good English but uses the language excuse to avoid yabbering to the press, and instead just gets on with his job, extremely well too IMO.

They have spent a lot of money, but bought well.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Nice to see a little club punch above its weight, but a long season ahead.

Agreed, and we have seen the likes of Burnley, Blackpool and Hull start well before but then slide down the table in the past.

What Saints seem to have done right is invest in the stadium and the academy, waited for those to bear fruit and then reap the rewards. For that you need a patient chairman and fanbase.

HoveSaint

Nov 19, 2011
It took them 11 seasons, since St Mary's was built, to get to the Prem and we are only in our 3rd at the Amex if it helps to put it into perspective.

Errrmmm... just like to point out we were founding members of the Prem in 1992, moved into St Mary's in 2000 and were relegated from the Prem 5 years later in 2005...

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
What's really noticeable is how their most influential player for much of last season, Jack Cork, is now a peripheral player there. The defensive reinforcements Pochettino has made, and also how he has organised the defence as a former international defender himself, has made a big difference. Lovren has been a very good signing and Boruc is having a fine season in goal. They play a very astute and disciplined pressing game and that makes them difficult to play against, especially for the top teams.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
There were 6 English players in their starting line-up today and a 7th replaced one of them, if only this wasn't the exception rather than the rule in the EPL. Pochettino certainly doesn't distrust 'our' players like some managers seem to.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I've always liked Southampton, apart from a small blip with Adkins.

It was wonderful to see them escape the drop (almost every season) with a late rally lead by Le Tiss.

I can look past the arrogance of some of their keyboard warriors, who were exceedingly er arrogant.

I don't like Cortese, but he doesn't give me sleepless nights.

Lots of players I wish had played for us. Benali, Van Gobbel, Le God, Dia.

HoveSaint

Nov 19, 2011
Some nice comments here. It certainly is good times being a Saints (and Lewes!) fan at the moment. When you think that at Old Trafford, Anfield and at SMS today the following were playing at the Withdean against Albion in league 1 only 4 years ago: Schneiderlin, Lallana, Fonte, Lambert, Guly. Just goes to show that the secret is not to do what Sunderland, Palace and QPR have done which is to get to the Prem and then change the whole team. Very rarely works.

Shall be having a little flutter on the Albion against Watford. Who is top scorer at the moment?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I was one of those that though they were crazy to fire Adkins but it was clear very early on, this guy has got a great plan. The signings have been brave but excellent to add to an already fantastic academy.

It's a long season but the key for me is that they have the best defensive record in the league by a clear distance. It's good news for all clubs that want to try and do things the right way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here