Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Ashley Barnes...

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
... PLR?

Personally I don't think he is, or, indeed, ever will be. The Barnes lickers, before Ulloa was injured, were saying that he should be played as a striker, banging on that he would score goals if he was actually played in his right position. I think we can all agree he has been exposed as completely inadequate if he is played where they suggested. Absolutely unable to offer any threat at all. He can't shoot with his left, he can't shoot with his right and he certainly can't head the ball. In fact, really, I can't help but believe that maybe Mr Burns was right along?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So he scored FORTY ONE goals with his stomach, has he ? You might not like him but his goals record is fact and speaks for itself.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
He IS a striker but of course he isn't good enough for the Prem. Most of our squad aren't.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is lone striker his correct position? Best I saw him was when he played off CMS or Murray

Exactly, he is not a lone striker. Last season he played as midfielder supporting both the defence and the attack. This year he has been asked to play alone upfront. He is not big enough or strong enough to do it, in fact he is more useful playing as he did last season than alone upfront. I'd love to see him play upfront with Ulloa, as you say, he was very effective with Murray.

If he had the chance to play as part of a strike duo where his partner was of the Ulloa/Murray mould I think we'd see the best of him. As I 've said before, given our style, he'd be better off at a club who play with two strikers. I imagine he may feel the same, hence his apparent reluctance to sign a new contract.

One of the best players I have seen vilified by Albion fans, if I were him I'd want to go somewhere where I had a chance to shine by being played as I should be rather than the makeshift player that he has been asked to be since we were in League One. I feel bad for him when I see the unjustified shit he gets from so called Albion fans. People should take into account the problems our style creates for him before they slag him off.

I don't know if he could play at the top level because we have not seen him playing in his best position for a few years. Burnley obviously saw something in him, we probably should have sold him and got in another big awkward forward who can do a job upfront on his own. Barnes is wasted in our team at the moment and it does neither him nor us any favours.

Last edited:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Some people and this is especially true in football just need a figure to vent their frustrations towards, Barnes probably wouldn't cut it in the top flight, can be guilty of petulance and like many many players can go missing in games and miss chances but he has scored a lot of goals for us in his time here and is a key member of our team. An absolue bargain of a signing but sadly the sheep on here will only realise his abilities when he's scoring for another team.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
So he scored FORTY ONE goals with his stomach, has he ? You might not like him but his goals record is fact and speaks for itself.

hasn't gone in off any part of his anatomy for the past seven games when he needed to step up to the plate. I personally think he'll be off, he looks disinterested and to me, is just seeing his contract out, or he'll be away in January.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Barnes can be utility , Barnes can be a match winner . Bottom line is Barnes is a good squad player but proved is not the main man as had a chance to step up
And hasn't .

Dec 29, 2011
You can't judge him when he's played as a lone striker. He needs to work with someone upfront to have a chance of scoring. Even Ulloa struggles with the system we play, when he (or Barnes) receives the ball they're both about 40 yards from the nearest person they can pass to. Really needs to be sorted out soon.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
On recent outings, no way. He currently doesn't deserve to be in the first team. It's only because of injuries that he'll maintain his place sadly. But he hasn't earned it.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We signed him as a plodding League 1 club. We're now an ambitious Championship club. Is he good enough? Probably not for where we are going, but he's been a good player for us over time and that should be respected a lot more than it is being, and has been.

Not to mention the fact that he has achieved what most of us would have loved to, play for the Albion. And wear the number 9 for the Albion.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Exactly, he is not a lone striker. Last season he played as midfielder supporting both the defence and the attack. This year he has been asked to play alone upfront. He is not big enough or strong enough to do it, in fact he is more useful playing as he did last season than alone upfront. I'd love to see him play upfront with Ulloa, as you say, he was very effective with Murray.

If he had the chance to play as part of a strike duo where his partner was of the Ulloa/Murray mould I think we'd see the best of him. As I 've said before, given our style, he'd be better off at a club who play with two strikers. I imagine he may feel the same, hence his apparent reluctance to sign a new contract.

One of the best players I have seen vilified by Albion fans, if I were him I'd want to go somewhere where I had a chance to shine by being played as I should be rather than the makeshift player that he has been asked to be since we were in League One. I feel bad for him when I see the unjustified shit he gets from so called Albion fans. People should take into account the problems our style creates for him before they slag him off.

I don't know if he could play at the top level because we have not seen him playing in his best position for a few years. Burnley obviously saw something in him, we probably should have sold him and got in another big awkward forward who can do a job upfront on his own. Barnes is wasted in our team at the moment and it does neither him nor us any favours.

Some people and this is especially true in football just need a figure to vent their frustrations towards, Barnes probably wouldn't cut it in the top flight, can be guilty of petulance and like many many players can go missing in games and miss chances but he has scored a lot of goals for us in his time here and is a key member of our team. An absolue bargain of a signing but sadly the sheep on here will only realise his abilities when he's scoring for another team.

Both of these ^^^^

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Not good enough for the Prem but perfectly adequate in The Championship , if his contract is allowed to run down he'll still be playing at the same level at another club.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I think it's pretty obvious to anyone that he's been off-form since the injury and repeated Burnley interest.
He's certainly not the only player that can improve significantly.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
He was developing a cracking partnership with CMS during the 2011-2012 season, before Poyet inexplicably decided to play him on the left wing against Palace. He and CMS destroyed Leeds, and it was only our hopeless defence that cost us victory. This spell included two excellent penalties against Liverpool and Leeds. There were signs again at the start of last season. Clearly, though, he is a confidence player, a d his has gone. Sure, he doesn't help himself with his petulance, but why he is singled out I don't know. Why doesn't Greer get the same level of criticism? After all, he has been sent off three times, twice for punching opponents.

phazza

Aug 17, 2012

i keep hearing on here that he's not, a lone striker or a midfielder. they may not be his best positions, but that does not take away from the fact that he finds himself in many very good scoring situations (his best strength) and misses woefully all too often. it makes no odds that he's not playing in his best position in if your in front of goal with a good opportunity.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
but that does not take away from the fact that he finds himself in many very good scoring situations (his best strength) and misses woefully all too often.

Close to becoming Ashley Barnes-Door in the eyes of Albion fans.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
no league goals this season proves he is not good enough.

Or does it show that he has had f**k all support from other players all season ?

Cant score if you dont get a supply. Besides, Barnes isnt suitable playing as a lone sticker - he needs someone to play off - and vice versa.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Or does it show that he has had f**k all support from other players all season ?

Cant score if you dont get a supply. Besides, Barnes isnt suitable playing as a lone sticker - he needs someone to play off - and vice versa.
Hmmmm, I'm not convinced by that.

Buckley & KLL starting.
Crofts pushed forward.
The full backs allowed to roam forward, as usual.

CMS had to put up with 2 sometimes even 3 holding midfielders.
A holding left winger, in the shape of Barnes, and SD on t'other wing.
All in a team that slowly inched the ball forward.

Now THAT'S f**k all support.

We are a damn sight quicker moving forward, just pretty ineffective when we get there.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here