Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Be seen or pay the price !

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Police target Brighton and Hove cyclists riding without lights
Cyclists who ride in the dark with no lights face being fined £50 from Monday (28 October) in a crackdown by Sussex Police.

The force said: “Cyclists spotted using their bikes without lights could be stopped and fined in a road safety crackdown.

“From Monday officers will be on the streets of Brighton and Hove from when it begins to go dark looking for anyone cycling dangerously.

“People seen cycling in the dark or in gloomy conditions without lights will be stopped, told that they are breaking the law and issued with a cycling warning notice.

“If officers are particularly concerned by a cyclist’s behaviour they will issue them with a fine for £50 for failing to use their lights.

“However, anyone issued with a fine for not having lights in the week-long campaign will have it cancelled if they prove within seven days that they have subsequently had lights fitted to their bike.

“The campaign is aimed at educating riders about how they can make the streets safer for themselves and other road users.

“Many young people and students do not have lights on their bikes and believe the street lights in the city centres are bright enough for them to not need the equipment, despite the law saying they must have it.”

Inspector Gareth Davies said: “We don’t want to criminalise people. We just want them to cycle safely.

“Our message is all about seeing and being seen.

“Using lights on your bike makes it easier for drivers and pedestrians to see you and for you to see your surroundings, meaning the roads are safer for everyone.”

http://www.brightonandhovenews.org/...817?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Don't get me started

One Nation under CCTV
Jul 24, 2007
A bit nanny state!

Why do we have society telling us what to do all the time is my issue, if the police have come down to this they are plainly overstaffed.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
A bit nanny state!

Why do we have society telling us what to do all the time is my issue, if the police have come down to this they are plainly overstaffed.

Brilliant! I don't think they are going to have dedicated patrols just officers more likely to take action against the offenders. It's sensible. If you drove your car and night and the lights didn't work you would get a ticket so cyclists should too.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Brilliant! I don't think they are going to have dedicated patrols just officers more likely to take action against the offenders. It's sensible. If you drove your car and night and the lights didn't work you would get a ticket so cyclists should too.

Precisely this. I wonder if motorists will retrospectively have tickets revoked in this way ? Answer, no chance. Every day I see cyclists routinely ignore red lights and cycle up and down pavements without lights with impunity.

Dec 29, 2011

It's not illegal to drive without lights though

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
A bit nanny state!

Rubbish. This is a great initiative. It makes me mad, when I'm driving at night and I come up behind some tosspot cyclist with no lights. If it were to hit him, no doubt it would be me as the driver who was blamed. Tosspots.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
I cycle a lot and drive but it bugs me so much, that when I'm on my bike and stopped at the traffic lights waiting for them to go green someone on there bike has seen that the lights are red and just skips up onto the pavement. It totally annoys me and there should be punishments for this too. I always have my bike lights on me just in case. So this is a good move by the police to crack down on that the lights.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Rubbish. This is a great initiative. It makes me mad, when I'm driving at night and I come up behind some tosspot cyclist with no lights. If it were to hit him, no doubt it would be me as the driver who was blamed. Tosspots.
Of course you would be to blame. If you crashed into a parked car it would be your fault, or into a tree on the side of the road you could'nt blame the tree..
Does'nt excuse the stupid cyclist for being to tight to buy lights though!

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It's not illegal to drive without lights though

That's not quite right, is it? It's illegal to drive without lights on, unless the road has street lights, during the hours of darkness.

I'm amazed that cyclists do not use lights. I bought some very good lights for less than a tenner. Very easy to put in your pocket if you wish to leave your bike somewhere.

I'm with the ginger Mod here.

I live on the outskirts of Burgess Hill and the amount of times I get yoofs on their BMX's kerbing (if thats the word) in front of me at night when i'm driving so they can see themselves is frightening.

One day soon, and I hope beyond hope it's not me, it will happen, and the driver will be blamed.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here