Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cheaper to live in Barcelona and commute than rent in London

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
How one man worked out he’d be better off living in a three bed apartment in Barcelona AND commute to London than rent a one-bed flat in the capital

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/cheaper-to-live-in-barcelona-and-commute-than-rent-in-london-081937638.html

When Sam Cookney declared that it was cheaper to rent in Barcelona and commute to his job in London, his friends thought he was exaggerating, but it turns out he was bang on the mark.

The staggering costs of renting in central London, means it can actually be cheaper to rent and commute from the city of sun, sea and sangria – and live in a more spacious home to boot.

“I thought at least it would require some poetic licence or dodgy sums,” said the 30-year-old, who currently flat shares in Shepherd's Bush. “But the only assumption I’m making is that I work a four-day week in London, with a day at home (i.e. Barcelona).”

Here’s how he worked it out:

The cost of London

The cost of renting a one-bedroom flat in West Hampstead is £1,505, according to Zoopla.

“I chose West Hampstead because I know and like the area, and it doesn’t seem a stretch to suggest that a young professional may afford to live there,” commented Sam, a social media manager.

He then added in council tax at approximately £75 and a zone 1-2 travelcard to get to his job in the City (£116.80), making a total of £1,697 or €1,979 a month.

The cost of living in Barcelona

Hop across to Barcelona and a three-bedroom in the Les Corts district costs €680 a month.

“I used to live there, and being a fairly upmarket residential district, it’s a very decent and fair comparison to West Hampstead,” Sam said. “There are, of course, cheaper flats, but I was trying to compare apples with apples – even in spite of the three bedrooms.”

He found a three-bedroom flat, with three balconies, a stone’s throw away from the metro, in a nice, safe area. The cost? €680 a month – and there’s no council tax in Spain.

Getting to work

Of course, the cost of the commute from Barcelona to London would eat up all of the savings made on rent... Right?

Well, not necessarily - Sam found he could fly back and forth from Barcelona to Stansted via Ryanair nearly every day in November for €34 a trip.

Then throw in the €6 to get to from Barcelona’s el Prat airport and a £14 return to Liverpool Street, making €23 in total on transfers each day.

“I could walk to my desk by 9:30am, with time for a Pret coffee and bacon and cheese croissant en route,” said Sam.

That’s fixed commuting costs of €57 a day, 4 days a week, for 4 weeks a month, which gives us €912. Add on rent of €680 a month and the cost of living in Barcelona and commuting to London comes to €1,592 a month.

That’s €387 LESS than the cost of living in London and commuting from Zone 2. Oh, and he gets to live in a sunny city by the sea in a three-bed flat with three balconies.

"It's just beyond crazy, and completely unsustainable," commented Sam.

"I feel like it's reaching a tipping point. I've been discussing with friends this week, and several of us have said that we're going to have to consider leaving London. The sums just don't add up."

Crazy, not that I'd ever want to live in the City, but that is a real eye opener.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
As pleasant it would be to live there, i doubt i could live through Ryanair weighing and measuring my lunchbox (not a Linford Christie reference) to and from London each and every pigging day.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
But what time does the guy have to get up in the morning AND when does he get home ?

AND does he do this every weekday ?

Not exactly clear at all really.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Then throw in the €6 to get to from Barcelona’s el Prat airport and a £14 return to Liverpool Street, making €23 in total on transfers each day.

Unless he's talking about getting a coach then there's no way you could get a peak time return for £14.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I dont think he was actually saying he will be doing it, just that it's stupid that it is cheaper to live in Barcelona and work in London than it is in to live and work in London.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I dont think he was actually saying he will be doing it, just that it's stupid that it is cheaper to live in Barcelona and work in London than it is in to live and work in London.

This. Everyone seems to be missing the point.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
erm, does he realise why its expensive in central London? because people want to be close to work and play: roll out of bed at 8 for 9am start, out on the town until 11 back in bed before midnight and still catch 8 hours sleep. so if you are going to factor in a commute, why not live slightly outside of London, in the home counties or even further afield. i know people who commute in from Liecester or York, couple of hours on the train. with no check in, so probably alot more convenient than Barcelona. not quite as warm i'll grant you.

daft really.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
erm, does he realise why its expensive in central London? because people want to be close to work and play: roll out of bed at 8 for 9am start, out on the town until 11 back in bed before midnight and still catch 8 hours sleep. so if you are going to factor in a commute, why not live slightly outside of London, in the home counties or even further afield. i know people who commute in from Liecester or York, couple of hours on the train. with no check in, so probably alot more convenient than Barcelona. not quite as warm i'll grant you.

daft really.

small point i know but you don't have to check in anymore, just walk straight through security.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Since when did West Hampstead become central London? He's shot himself in the foot there looking to rent in the far-away grandeur of ponceville. Live up around me in the Dalston area and walk to work in 30 minutes or so whilst paying about £900 rent per month. Bargain! This man is a mindless buffoon!

Dec 29, 2011

Perhaps this reflects the super cheap flights you can get these days, rather than the house price disparity between London + Barcelona.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
It would certainly **** up your carbon footprint that's for sure, no amount of recycling will put 4 return flights a week right.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

This. Everyone seems to be missing the point.

It's a bit of a stupid and worthless point to make though. The point is that it's expensive to live in London, everyone knows that so he doesn't really need to waste his time concocting some bullshit story just to illustrate his point.

Spain is less wealthy than the UK and the property market hasn't recovered from it's crash, of course it's cheaper to live there :shrug:

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
It would certainly **** up your carbon footprint that's for sure, no amount of recycling will put 4 return flights a week right.

haha, oh yes, the carbon footprint. I lose sleep over mine most days.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Pretty stupid comparison, then, if it's not do-able. Of couse living in different cities is going to cost diferently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here