Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gary Lineker take a bow.......

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
A couple of years ago Gary Lineker sued Charterhouse School because his son didn't get the grades to go to university. Pushy parents, eh?

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Take a bow indeed - at last someone who is prepared to say what is wrong with
football at all levels in this country - especially the young players

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
A couple of years ago Gary Lineker sued Charterhouse School because his son didn't get the grades to go to university. Pushy parents, eh?
Not heard this before - I can find links saying he complained, but none stating he sued, are you sure about this as it would seem pretty unusual?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

That's not even remotely related to what he's saying though, is it?

Did he actually sue them? There is no record of that as far as I can see.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
That's not even remotely related to what he's saying though, is it?

Did he actually sue them? There is no record of that as far as I can see.

Ah, my mistake. I remember hearing him say on the radio that he was considering legal action. He obviously never carried it out. I think the point is an interesting one though. He's blaming the school for his son not getting the grades. It seems to me to be the mark of a parent with a skewed view of his child's limitations.

I rather like George Lineker's response though: "Didn't get into uni... cheers school u massive knobbers!"

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
My 10 year old used to play for Mile Oak Wanderers and I have to say they had/have a terrific policy and charter regarding parent behaviour. Whenever a parent was out of order, the coach used to deal with it very well indeed.

On the other side of the coin, about 8 years ago I would occasionally 'run the line' when my former step son played for Worthing United. WUFC again were very well run and the coaches were hot about 'proper behaviour'.. although one race issue occurred which was rather distasteful.
Anyway I recall one game when I was given so much abuse from opposition parents and coaches that I approached the ref (who i didn't know) and suggested we call the game off. The ref (a mate of the opposition coach) declined funnilly enough, and spent the rest of the game ignoring my flag!

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I actually was dropped from my school team after a game because in the coach's words "You're just not big enough, you're good but not big enough". I told him to get out of the showers and hassle someoene else.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
My 10 year old used to play for Mile Oak Wanderers and I have to say they had/have a terrific policy and charter regarding parent behaviour. Whenever a parent was out of order, the coach used to deal with it very well indeed.

Yeah, coaches can get all the certification the FA require, but the most important skill is dealing with parents who think they know it all, are abusive and unhelpful. Our junior club has a code of conduct all players and parents sign up to, but it is only as good as the coaches are willing and able to enforce.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The worst single youth mentality I've ever seen was at the Albion when I was around 12 (around 1998). I went along to this open day thing for albion youth scouting. Basically a try out but I KNEW I wasn't good enough. Honestly, I only went because my school coach said I might as well have a kickabout.

So I went along to this thing with another kid who was basically the best in the school. We were on different teams for a friendly match at this event and my team beat his. I won a few headers. That was about it. I did nothing.

The coaches put our team through to the next stage and sent all the other kids home, irrespective of quality.

Phenomenal idiocy and lazyness on their part. I didn't even go back for the second round as I would just be wasting their time.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Where my son plays on Saturdays, one of the coaches from a different age group went to watch some junior matches in Spain in the summer while on holiday, nothing major just normal local club stuff. They played on vastly smaller pitches with smaller goals, about u9's or u10's he reckons, but they had a brilliant (IMO) rule for goal kicks. All the players had to be in their own half, i.e. the team taking the goal kick had to be in their own half and the opposition had to retreat back to their half. Consequently goal kicks were just rolled out and the kids played from there. He reckons it was great to watch and you just didn't see any 'long' balls at all. When a goal was scored, play re-started with a goal kick and off they went.

I've got kids in U17 & U14 this year and I've seem them all the way from U8's up and the amount of parents who constantly shout out 'get rid' or 'launch it' at every age group is quite staggering.

Coach_Carter_92

Apr 25, 2013
Home
Sounds about right... The company i work for run coaching sessions across Sussex, including a saturday drop-in session. This used to run at old boat corner in Patcham and I distinctly remember 1 parent constantly moaning about decisions I was making during the session and game at the end. Came to a head when he swore rather loudly and I had to remind him that there was no real competition, so whether I got some minor details wrong like who's throw in it should be or whether it was a corner or not was irrelevant.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Ah, my mistake. I remember hearing him say on the radio that he was considering legal action. He obviously never carried it out. I think the point is an interesting one though. He's blaming the school for his son not getting the grades. It seems to me to be the mark of a parent with a skewed view of his child's limitations.

I rather like George Lineker's response though: "Didn't get into uni... cheers school u massive knobbers!"

if you're paying the fees he has been and his son doesn't get the grades to ANY university, then I would probably be complaining about how that happened, wouldnt throw that into the realm of being a pushy parent - they have much smaller class sizes, its not like he 'fell through the cracks'

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
if you're paying the fees he has been and his son doesn't get the grades to ANY university, then I would probably be complaining about how that happened, wouldnt throw that into the realm of being a pushy parent - they have much smaller class sizes, its not like he 'fell through the cracks'

But it doesnt follow that paying money affords an academically below average student a pathway to an above average result in his exams.

Perhaps the school has already offered his son greater development than he could of hoped for elsewhere.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

..but Charterhouse is very near the top for overall grades and has been forever so it doesn't seem to be the teaching that's the problem. It would appear that it's more likely that George Lineker just wasn't very academic - or he p*ssed about in class. It's bound to happen that despite the best education money can buy, some kids just aren't going to pass the exams.

Dec 29, 2011

You can teach the kids all you want in 5 hours of school, if they don't pay attention or don't work at home there isn't much the school can do. I'd say 90% of the time a failing kid can only blame their attitude, the other 5% the school, the other 5% extenuating circumstances.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
I attempted, pretty feebly, to be ironic at an under 10 game when chirped "snap him" to the other parents (no in earshot of the kids) unfortunately they all joined in very loudly which caused some angst with the opposition..

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here