Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Supporters club

Jan 30, 2008
are they a benefit to the general fan or just a body interested in their own agendas, what do they actually do? WASTE OF TIME OR A VALID GROUP what do you reckon???
regards
DR

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I think it's a valid question to ask. Personally, I hardly ever seen any communications from them or any membership drives, for that matter.

Similar to Spanish Dave, what exactly do they DO?

Jan 30, 2008
I think it's a valid question to ask. Personally, I hardly ever seen any communications from them or any membership drives, for that matter.

Similar to Spanish Dave, what exactly do they DO?
well Brian not many answers forth coming so i take it know one knows .............CLOSED SHOP SPRINGS TO MIND :shrug:
regards
DR

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
They are an odd one really. It appears that the only real thing yous ee from them is when their leader is interviewed on the telebox or radio once some news has broken.

They always go - 'Here is Eric, he is the chairman of Bagshot Town Supporters Club'

He'll then jabber on about something for a while and it'll go bac to the studio - 'Well as you can see all of the fans are outraged by this development' as if because they are the head of a club they are the fountain of all knowledge and speak on everyones behalf. Really annoys me that!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
well Brian not many answers forth coming so i take it know one knows .............CLOSED SHOP SPRINGS TO MIND :shrug:
regards
DR

Yep, they have become just a very small clique within the Club l think,, especially now that there are other supporters groups too, many of them with a higher membership than the official supporters club.

I was a member for a short time during the 1980's, a membership that came to and after an unsavoury incident during a pre-season club tour to Portugal in 1988.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yep, they have become just a very small clique within the Club l think,, especially now that there are other supporters groups too, many of them with a higher membership than the official supporters club.

I was a member for a short time during the 1980's, a membership that came to and after an unsavoury incident during a pre-season club tour to Portugal in 1988.

They're not 'within' the club.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
I've been a member for a few years now. While in exile the monthly almanac that Tim Carder compiles was a wonderful way to keep up with Albion news. There is a match report for each game written by a volunteer that usually goes beyond what you'd expect to see (say) in a newspaper and so not just the bare facts and stats.

They also used to have a club season ticket that allowed me to see my 1st match at the Amex, and also used to have 10% discount at the club shop. Although small in number (300-odd at the moment) were quite a voice in troubled times, and they run a good coach service to away matches. So, all-in-all yes they have provided the fan with valuable service.

Times of course do change. They no longer have club discount or season ticket. Information is much more easy to come by if you want a match report etc. So if they wish to survive I guess the supporters club needs to evolve and grow.

Why not get in touch with them and offer some ideas of what you'd like a supporter's club to porvide?

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
During the troubles Liam Brady said we could do with a larger and more powerful sc. I tend to agree with him. We should have a much bigger supporters club but things have fragmented. The supporters club are perceived as being cliquey - I personally don't have an opinion on this but perhaps there could be a broader variety of standpoints on football issues.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I've been a member for a few years now. While in exile the monthly almanac that Tim Carder compiles was a wonderful way to keep up with Albion news. There is a match report for each game written by a volunteer that usually goes beyond what you'd expect to see (say) in a newspaper and so not just the bare facts and stats.

They also used to have a club season ticket that allowed me to see my 1st match at the Amex, and also used to have 10% discount at the club shop. Although small in number (300-odd at the moment) were quite a voice in troubled times, and they run a good coach service to away matches. So, all-in-all yes they have provided the fan with valuable service.

Times of course do change. They no longer have club discount or season ticket. Information is much more easy to come by if you want a match report etc. So if they wish to survive I guess the supporters club needs to evolve and grow.

Why not get in touch with them and offer some ideas of what you'd like a supporter's club to porvide?

That's all very interesting, thank you for posting.

I really think the SC needs to push out more information about meetings and membership, as I can't recall seeing much in recent times.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The last time we had a thread on this I provided all the details and most posters said that the club should be bigger and that there should be more younger people involved. Then as is usual with the internet nobody joined or gave it a second thought. You can't rely on other people to get involved if you can't be arsed.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The last time we had a thread on this I provided all the details and most posters said that the club should be bigger and that there should be more younger people involved. Then as is usual with the internet nobody joined or gave it a second thought. You can't rely on other people to get involved if you can't be arsed.

I'm not saying that they necessarily are but if the supporter's club is viewed as irrelevant, why would people be inclined to join?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'm not saying that they necessarily are but if the supporter's club is viewed as irrelevant, why would people be inclined to join?

And if they don't join it will continue to be irrelevant.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

That's fair comment, but the club need to give people more information about what they do in order to attract interest.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
And if they don't join it will continue to be irrelevant.

Err...that's the point isn't it? You think it is relevant (I've no strong views on the this) so the onus must be on you and the Supporters' Club to overcome this apathy, surely? You can't expect people to join an organisation that they don't perceive to be of any benefit, surely?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Have you see who the Op is? Bet they'd love him onboard :lolol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here