Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any Estate Agents, conveyancers or similar ?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
We're thinking of moving next year after being here since 2001. We've had a lot of work done to the place (some by me, some by contractors) but I'm pretty sure we haven't got all the required certificates for stuff like electrics, glazing etc.
Will this cause big problems when we come to move or is there a way round it ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes, likely. But you should be able to get someone to come round and check it and certificate against it, I would have thought. No Fensa certificate for the glazing?

Dusty_Fryer

May 12, 2009
Port Stanley
It depends how thorough the buyers' surveyor is. They will recommend which reports need to be carried out (if any). If these reports are negative, they may impact on the buyers' willingness to proceed - depending on a prospective remedial price or perhaps your willingness to negotiate on the price if they're that bad!

scouse23

Jan 30, 2008
If your buyers solicitors start to make demands for certificates, most issues can be covered by taking out insurance indemnity, it will only be a few hundred pounds at worst and will protect you from suffering financial loss due to a lawsuit.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Given what you do this might not go down too well BUT I've always lied and said the work has been done prior to me owning the property. Your choice obviously but I've never lost a sale yet by saying that !

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Given what you do this might not go down too well BUT I've always lied and said the work has been done prior to me owning the property.

agree up to a point. Electics would be of concern though, if you fitted and it fails, you would be liable. contractors should have provided a cert, if not you may have to pay another come and do so. (depends on work, consumer unit is the main area of concern)

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
agree up to a point. Electics would be of concern though, if you fitted and it fails, you would be liable. contractors should have provided a cert, if not you may have to pay another come and do so. (depends on work, consumer unit is the main area of concern)

Agreed - a part P will always help but it's close to impossible to tell when work was carried out and a Part P wasn't required around 10 (?) years ago.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
If your buyers solicitors start to make demands for certificates, most issues can be covered by taking out insurance indemnity, it will only be a few hundred pounds at worst and will protect you from suffering financial loss due to a lawsuit.

This is the only answer you need. I'm a lawyer.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Agreed - a part P will always help but it's close to impossible to tell when work was carried out and a Part P wasn't required around 10 (?) years ago.
Except that post part-P works would be done using the new colour scheme cables, so it's quite easy to tell when it was done.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Except that post part-P works would be done using the new colour scheme cables, so it's quite easy to tell when it was done.

I need a new consumer unit fitted, as I still have an old fuse box with fuse wires. I don't need the house re-wiring, just want the box replacing. Any idea of the kind of costs involved??

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

Unless I've missed another change I'm not aware the wire colours have changed for YEARS !

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I need a new consumer unit fitted, as I still have an old fuse box with fuse wires. I don't need the house re-wiring, just want the box replacing. Any idea of the kind of costs involved??

I think I paid £100 plus the cost of the box but that was to a mate who was a fully qualified sparkie.

Unless I've missed another change I'm not aware the wire colours have changed for YEARS !

The old, pre-part-P colours were Red/Black. The new colours are Brown/Blue, like plugs. I think this was done to bring Britain into line with Europe.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
The old, pre-part-P colours were Red/Black. The new colours are Brown/Blue, like plugs. I think this was done to bring Britain into line with Europe.

Not sure about aligning to Europe but the main driver for changing from black/red to blue/brown I always understood was to resolve colour blindness issues.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
This thread seems almost relevant, so let me hijack it. Am trying to buy a house and wondered if anybody had any thoughts on surveyors covering Eastbourne area. Are they basically all the same, as long as qualified, or are some better than others?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here