Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Heather Mills aiming to represent GB in Russian Paralympics

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Maybe the divorce settlement with Paul McCartney was all part of her Olympic dream! Luckily she's not short of a bob or two so she can get lots of practise on the slopes. It fills my heart with joy to think she could take a place from someone who doesn't enjoy her level of profile.

Former model Heather Mills hopes to be selected for Great Britain's Disability Skiing team for the 2014 Winter Paralympic Games in Sochi, Russia.

Mills was offered a place in the development squad of the British team for a trial period in December 2010 before officially joining in 2011.

The 45-year-old former model had her left leg amputated below the knee after a collision with a police motorbike in 1993, but tells BBC Sport's Nick Hope she hopes a new prosthetic will aid her bid to to reach the Sochi Games.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/disability-sport/24316388

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Hats off to her. I like her and think she got a bum rap with all the negative publicity.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Hats off to her. I like her and think she got a bum rap with all the negative publicity.

Not at all. All merited and well earnt. I know two people who have had dealings with her on a professional basis. Neither know each other to have compared notes and both confirmed the same - She is obnoxious to deal with and an all round pain in the arse.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Good luck to her. I've met her, she's a prick but she's nicer than Paul McCartney by a country mile.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Having sold that god awful cafe to FatBoy, I no longer have anything against the woman. Given you can do very little actual skiing in this country she will have to f*ck off somewhere else to train... ultimately a win/win all round I think!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Whatever she's like personally, if she gets a place in the Paralympic squad then good luck to her. She'd have to meet the standard the same as anyone else.

And I also think it's a bit harsh to make three legged race jokes. She lost a leg in a car accident, FFS. I don't see anyone taking the piss out of soldiers who've had limbs blown off by landmines, or kids losing a leg to septicaemia.

Maybe she wouldn't be my cup of tea as a person (I have no idea), but her disability is pretty real.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Whatever she's like personally, if she gets a place in the Paralympic squad then good luck to her. She'd have to meet the standard the same as anyone else.

And I also think it's a bit harsh to make three legged race jokes. She lost a leg in a car accident, FFS. I don't see anyone taking the piss out of soldiers who've had limbs blown off by landmines, or kids losing a leg to septicaemia.

Maybe she wouldn't be my cup of tea as a person (I have no idea), but her disability is pretty real.

100% agree

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Just seems a shame she has the possibility of representing GB; in a sport that is clearly governed by an individuals ability to finance the life style and practise needed, after such an acrimonious and public slagging match about how much money she was due to gain and entitled to after her divorce. Thats the link i see.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Just seems a shame she has the possibility of representing GB; in a sport that is clearly governed by an individuals ability to finance the life style and practise needed, after such an acrimonious and public slagging match about how much money she was due to gain and entitled to after her divorce. Thats the link i see.

This. Winter sport in this country just comes down to money, she is able to compete because she can afford to spend every winter in Verbier. I can guarentee there are hundreds of better skiers in the country who wont ever get the chance to go to a paralympics because they don't have the money.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
If she's good enough and earned her place fairly, what's the problem ?

Not that I particularly like her, but fair play if it was a level playing field.

I am with you in not liking the woman, However how can it be a level playing field.

Yes she needs to meet certain standards to be considered but lets be honest if its a choice between an unknown athlete & Heather Mills its fairly obvious who will get the place just for the extra publicity its likely to generate.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I am with you in not liking the woman, However how can it be a level playing field.

Yes she needs to meet certain standards to be considered but lets be honest if its a choice between an unknown athlete & Heather Mills its fairly obvious who will get the place just for the extra publicity its likely to generate.

Publicity doesn't generate additional funding, winning medals would, so they'd always go with the better athlete. And let's face it, if you didn't have to be around her, you wouldn't do it by choice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here