Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Managers that have given up.

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
Ian Holloways self imposed departure yesterday set me thinking.

How many Albion (or other Clubs managers) can you remember just giving up without having another Club or job to go to?

Steve Coppell gave up at Man City because it was too much for him.

Others please.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Pep Guardiola did at Barca in a sense - he walked away and took a sabbatical away from football because the pressure of it all was getting to him.

el punal

Ian Holloways self imposed departure yesterday set me thinking.

How many Albion (or other Clubs managers) can you remember just giving up without having another Club or job to go to?

Steve Coppell gave up at Man City because it was too much for him.

Others please.
Coppell again, at Bristol City. Peter Taylor (of Clough fame) left the Albion in 1976 claiming he had failed when not getting us promoted. Archie MacCauley in 1969?

Even dear old Mullers after a tiff with Mike Bamber over the transfer of Mark Lawrenson. Did Liam Brady leave because of the attitude of the board?

I'm sure there are loads more.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Peter Taylor for us in 2002 when he said he wouldn't be able to succeed in the Championship with the resources we had.

Holloway didn't just give up though did he he, he was hounded out by the HF.

They threatened his life while applauding the gimps that rolled over and allowed themselves to be anally raped by a Fulham side tipped for relegation.

Poor Ian.:(

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Didn't Dave Bassett resign or change his mind about 3 days after accepting the Crystal Palace job in 1984 prior to Steve Coppell getting the job the first time?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Both Alex Mcleish & Shhhteve McClaren dropped the then-poisened Forest chalice pretty damned sharpish. I'm not even sure if McCleish was in charge for a single game! I wish the same could be said after his ridiculous appointment at Villa Park. :annoyed:

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Wasn't there also some weird thing a few years ago where Leroy Rosenior was appointed manager of Torquay for about an hour before they then gave the job to somebody else?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Did Brian Horton walk out on a job once?

What about Clough at Leeds?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Wasn't there also some weird thing a few years ago where Leroy Rosenior was appointed manager of Torquay for about an hour before they then gave the job to somebody else?

I think it was ten minutes....sure he mentioned it on the Football League Show.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Peter Taylor for us in 2002 when he said he wouldn't be able to succeed in the Championship with the resources we had.

He was right. ( Although, had DK appointed Coppell from the start of the season, we would have stayed up )

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Coppell again, at Bristol City. Peter Taylor (of Clough fame) left the Albion in 1976 claiming he had failed when not getting us promoted. Archie MacCauley in 1969?

Even dear old Mullers after a tiff with Mike Bamber over the transfer of Mark Lawrenson. Did Liam Brady leave because of the attitude of the board?

I always felt that Peter Taylor knew that the door at Forest had been left open by Cloughie and sure enough, after leaving us, he walked straight into the City Ground.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sven stopped trying towards the end of his time with England and hasn't really bothered since. Strange as his record up to that point was really good.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I believe his contract had run out and he didn't want to renew which I'd say is somewhat different to giving up. He did what he was employed to do and won the Championship doing it.

Maybe if he'd been given the funds Coppell was, once things got dire, Taylor would have stayed.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
In retrospect, Peter Taylor could have been doing a Gus with the "hit the ceiling" bit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here