Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Really bitter Aussies

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How bitter do you have to be, to be a REALLY bitter Aussie?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Haha. What a prick. Preparing dry pitches (not that they even were especially, in most of the tests) is 'doctoring them' and 'cheating', is it? lolz

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
They moan about the dry pitches, moan about the rain, I thought it was us that were supposed to be the WHINGING poms?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They moan about the dry pitches, moan about the rain, I thought it was us that were supposed to be the WHINGING poms?

I love the way tha the article implies that but for the weather, the Aussies would have won at the Oval. That's the Test when Engand needed 20 to win with five wickets in hand, when the stupid rules forced the umpires to bring them off.

:lolol:

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I love the way tha the article implies that but for the weather, the Aussies would have won at the Oval. That's the Test when Engand needed 20 to win with five wickets in hand, when the stupid rules forced the umpires to bring them off.

:lolol:

To be fair, if it wasn't for the weather we wouldn't have had the sporting declaration from Clarke. How a non-weather affected game would've panned out is open for debate.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
To be fair, if it wasn't for the weather we wouldn't have had the sporting declaration from Clarke. How a non-weather affected game would've panned out is open for debate.

There were almost 900 runs in the first innings - a draw was always the most likely result, without the carrot of a sporting declaration. If anything, it was the series situation (3-0 down) that forced Clarke into a gamble. He really had nothing to lose.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Well well well, The Telegraph in Australia is obviously a lot different from The Telegraph in the UK. That is an incredible piece of whining, bitterness and mis-interpretation. Thats Cook's team talks sorted out.

Well well well, The Telegraph in Australia is obviously a lot different from The Telegraph in the UK. That is an incredible piece of whining, bitterness and mis-interpretation. Thats Cook's team talks sorted out.

I'm not sure it's that different - it's just in the UK version they employ the myopic writers as online 'columnists' rather than print journalists!

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

It's one of the great pot/kettle ones, the aussies calling us whingers. I remember the 1985 series when after going to 35-5 Australia were hanging on gamely until Wayne Phillips was out caught off short leg's boot heel. It was definitely out, unfortunate, but definitely out and they knew it, but they moaned and moaned and moaned. I mentioned it to Allan Border when I saw him once and he just laughed. But every time they have been on the receiving end they have moaned. Ponting in 2005. Warne and McGragh in the media this recent series. To his credit I think Michael Clarke has taken defeat better than any aussie captain i've seen. But their history shows them to be thw whingers.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It's one of the great pot/kettle ones, the aussies calling us whingers. I remember the 1985 series when after going to 35-5 Australia were hanging on gamely until Wayne Phillips was out caught off short leg's boot heel. It was definitely out, unfortunate, but definitely out and they knew it, but they moaned and moaned and moaned. I mentioned it to Allan Border when I saw him once and he just laughed. But every time they have been on the receiving end they have moaned. Ponting in 2005. Warne and McGragh in the media this recent series. To his credit I think Michael Clarke has taken defeat better than any aussie captain i've seen. But their history shows them to be thw whingers.

It is quite amusing, I was over there when the 2006/7 series was on and they had this huge advert on Oxford Street in Sydney with a continuously incrementing count of the number of "whinging poms". Imagine if we'd done that to them, they would be up in arms and kick up a huge stink.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I was in Australia in 2004 and lost no opportunity to Lord Mayor it over them about England beating them in the RWC final. I don't think I met anyone that, after a bit of banter didn't magnanimously concede that England were the better side all the way through and thoroughly outplayed them in the final (they also agreed that the ref for that match was a useless nob and that we should have won by more).
I've also found the average Australian to be similarly honest about cricket; they absolutely loved crushing us and hate getting beaten but will take a licking with good grace.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Another Murdoc rag, what do you expect? A lot of Ozzies are pretty knowledgeable about cricket and will cringe when they will this article..

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here