Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advice appreciated - puppy or rescue dog......

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
We have decided after many years of being cat owners to bring a dog into the household. (Cat gone).
Not sure whether to look at puppies or go down the route of taking on a rescue dog from Dogs Trust or similar.

At the moment I am leaning towards the rescue option but I am worried that the dog will come with baggage and with a six year old as well as two teenagers in the house it may be too much for the dog to cope with.

Any one had any experience with rescue dogs?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS - anyone know of a small/medium size dog that needs a home?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Christmas is a great time to buy a dog. Or something like that.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
We got a rescue dog from Raystede about 4 years ago, when she was about a year old. She is a jack russell cross, but we're not sure (nor were were Raystede) what she is crossed with! She was originally in Battersea, but was moved down here as Battersea was getting too full. She was given up apparently because she used to fight with her sister, but we have not had a single problem with her at all behaviour wise. She is the most georgeous loving dog - but then all owners say that!

Misty.jpg

http://www.raystede.org/

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don't think either the Dogs' Trust or the RSPCA let them get re-homed unless they're pretty confident that there is no nasty 'baggage'. Certainly EVERY person I know who as had a rescue dog the dog as been fantastic; although I'm sure someone will come on here and say they've had a different experience.

Also they do grade them (and they'll inspect you) and let you know which ones are suitable. For example they'll say that dogs A, B and C don't like sharing a home with cats or kids; or dogs X, Y and Z don't like sharing a home with other dogs, etc. That's not necessarily breed-specific btw, it all depends on the individual dog. Not all Staffies want to fight all the time and I've known Cocker Spaniels that can be a bit snappy.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
We got a rescue dog from Raystede about 4 years ago, when she was about a year old. She is a jack russell cross, but we're not sure (nor were were Raystede) what she is crossed with! She was originally in Battersea, but was moved down here as Battersea was getting too full. She was given up apparently because she used to fight with her sister, but we have not had a single problem with her at all behaviour wise. She is the most georgeous loving dog - but then all owners say that!

View attachment 47966

http://www.raystede.org/

I think he wanted a dog, not a Meercat!

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
We have decided after many years of being cat owners to bring a dog into the household. (Cat gone).
Not sure whether to look at puppies or go down the route of taking on a rescue dog from Dogs Trust or similar.

At the moment I am leaning towards the rescue option but I am worried that the dog will come with baggage and with a six year old as well as two teenagers in the house it may be too much for the dog to cope with.

Any one had any experience with rescue dogs?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS - anyone know of a small/medium size dog that needs a home?
As said by someone else, greyhounds make great pets. I've got 4 retired greyhounds and a lab that we had from a puppy. The puppy took a lot longer then the greyhounds to train. The biggest benefit of getting a retired greyhound over a puppy is that they are a lot easier to house train. If you do decide to get a retired greyhound, feed it outside. They tend to go to the toilet straight after their dinner because of the routine they have when in kennels.

Greyhounds are also very good with children. My niece (she's 4) had great fun when playing with the dogs last weekend.

When picking the breed, think about what different needs they have. For example, a spaniel will need hours of exercise but a greyhound only needs about an hour before they will sleep for ages. There is a breed to suit everyone.

Enjoy owning a dog, you've made the right decision to move over from cats.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
rescue every time
my daughter has had many over the years and all have turned out ok
I also know people who have had rescue greyhounds and they are adorable and really do not need as much exercise as you might think

BarnhamBlue

Feb 15, 2012
Yapton
I was offered Cocker Spaniel last weekend, desperate need of a home. Female / 3 years old / Spaded. I could find out if still available if you're interested.

I couldn't take as my Springer Spaniel is not that friendly with other dogs.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The only advice I can give is:

Any breed of dog can have issues.

If you go down the route of a rescue dog, you must ensure that the organisation you get one from knows it's history, especially as you have a young child. Depending on the age of the dog you get, they can be difficult to train.

With Puppies, you must go and see the breeder and see the pups with it's mother and siblings if you can. Do NOT buy one from a puppy "shop" or similar and do not buy one younger than 12 weeks old.

Either puppy or rescue, make sure they are vaccinated. Rescue dogs should be neutered, so check.

I have had and still have both - we rescued one dog (German Shepherd) and she had issues. She was fine with us but would not let strangers in the house and got aggressive with our other dog. She had to go, sadly, as we could not trust her. We currently have 4 dogs, 3 rescues and 1 from a puppy - no issues with any, other than general naughtiness and gluttony.

If you have never had a dog before, you may find it easier getting a puppy and training it, but up to you.

Good luck - dogs are great!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We're looking at getting a dog just after xmas. Have been to Patcham and the Dogs Trust. On Sunday, all the signs at the Dogs trust were saying dog suitable for kids over 12. Not sure if that is always the case but they might just be covering the back. Think we will check again after xmas to see if they have an influx of puppies otherwise we'll probably go for puppy from a breeder. Bit more expensive but you'll have a better idea of what you are getting. Looking for a beagle or similar size or even a cross breed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here