The Horse & Groom, Islingword Road, Brighton

SussexBrightonHorseG1_Oct07.jpg

Shakespeare's Head, Spring Street, Brighton

10156745.jpg

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Coopers Cask - crowd favourite but I've never found it cosy enough to really enjoy it.
The Earth and Stars - too crowded but like the roasts
The Great Eastern - I stepped in there last week and it stinks - the original smokers carpet?
The Horse and Groom - scary but every now and again they have an interesting gig on
Shakespeare's Head - great bangers n mash and now finally not a Hall and Woodhouse pub so I can now enjoy the beer without the guilt. Shakespeares gets my vote.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The Great Eastern for me, many a good night out has featured that fine establishment.

Poor form too start this poll before the chocolate bar championships have finished though, it's very much against NSC etiquette.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
If there every was any doubt on how I would vote in this group one look at the chicken pie has sealed it. Coopers.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I voted for Shakies, although The Eastern is one of my favourites, but it seems a little more ragged these days, the range of Bourbons is still great, but looking at the shelves on sunday it is a diminished selection. Also the new chef means that one of the best veggie roasts has disappeared from the menu.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
The Great Eastern for me, many a good night out has featured that fine establishment.

Poor form too start this poll before the chocolate bar championships have finished though, it's very much against NSC etiquette.

I must admit that did occur to me after I'd started. For some reason I'd totally forgotten that contest taking place at the time I planned this one out. However, if the Olympics and European Championships can live in harmony I'm sure our two NSC competitions can manage

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I voted for Shakies, although The Eastern is one of my favourites, but it seems a little more ragged these days, the range of Bourbons is still great, but looking at the shelves on sunday it is a diminished selection. Also the new chef means that one of the best veggie roasts has disappeared from the menu.

Actually I should declare an interest here as I know the new chef at the Eastern. Whilst I'm not a veggie myself I know he has gone to great lengths to offer a good quality veggie option, rather than fob them off with a boring nut roast. Have you tried his offering? If it's no good I'll pass on your feedback.

The guy also runs the burger bar in Market Square in the Lanes, which is a jolly decent burger if you're interested

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
actually i should declare an interest here as i know the new chef at the eastern. Whilst i'm not a veggie myself i know he has gone to great lengths to offer a good quality veggie option, rather than fob them off with a boring nut roast. Have you tried his offering? If it's no good i'll pass on your feedback.

The guy also runs the burger bar in market square in the lanes, which is a jolly decent burger if you're interested

ffffffffffffiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiixxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Actually I should declare an interest here as I know the new chef at the Eastern. Whilst I'm not a veggie myself I know he has gone to great lengths to offer a good quality veggie option, rather than fob them off with a boring nut roast. Have you tried his offering? If it's no good I'll pass on your feedback.

The guy also runs the burger bar in Market Square in the Lanes, which is a jolly decent burger if you're interested

It was a courgette gratin on sunday, which he helpfully veganised for me. The veg and trimmings were superb as always but sadly the courgette once it had been made vegan friendly was rather lacking, I'm sure the full version was very good. The nut roast there has been awesome in the past. Really I should have left and gone somewhere else but I do like The Eastern a lot, I have spent many happy times in there, so thought I'd stay.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I can't influence or alter the voting. I couldn't even add the poll to the first group!

It has been implied in some quarters that Sepp Blatter manages to be incompetent and corrupt at the same time (not by me obviously, I consider him beyond reproach)

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
This is the Group of Death surely. Not seen group A or B yet. I'm going for the Cooper's Cask.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The Great Eastern is one of the great Brighton pubs. Used to love the Sunday night quiz there back in the early 90s.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here