Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your first England match

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
We often ask debutants on the Roar about their first Albion/Goldstone experience - who took them?/which terrace?/who were the opponents?/what year? etc

This week's guest on The Albion Roar is Mark Raven, a well-travelled Brighton and England supporter, which got us thinking - do you remember your first England match? Either on the TV or in person?

I've only ever been to one England match - against Poland at Wembley in 1989. England won 3-0 (Lineker, Barnes, Webb). I can't say I enjoyed it - lots of racist cat-calling, lots of aggression amongst the England fans.

My first memories watching them on the TV were the Home Internationals of 1976, though I do have to mention beating Italy 2-0 at Wembley in 1977. We should have won 6-0, we were that good - with Coppell and Barnes totally unplayable, and the Italians resorting to hacking and elbowing (a mere ticking-off offence in those days).

What about you?

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
My first trip to Wembley was to watch England play Hungary in a friendly in 1996. We won 3-0.

My lasting memory is of seeing Sol Campbell come on and thinking "Blimey. That is one big *******".

My first, was the Last England - Scotland match at the old Wembely loosing 1 -0.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
England v Northern Ireland at the real Wembley. May 1974.

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
My first England match was 1987 against Brazil. 1 - 1 draw with Lineker scoring. Stood on the old terraces in a crowd of 92000.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Don't remember my first but do remember my son's. Against Switzerland at [new] Wembley. The stewards didn't open the turnstiles for a whole section which caused pretty close to a riot outside. Eventually got out of the crowds and round to another section to get in that way. Missed the first 10 minutes of the match despite being more than 30 mins early for kick off.

He was only 7-8 yo and hated the entire experience. Haven't been able to convince him to go back to Wembley since.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Luxembourg at Wembley 15th December 1982.

9-0. Scorers- Coppell/Woodcock/Blisset (3)/Mark Chamberlain!!!/Hoddle/Phil Neal (plus an OG).

And in front of a crowd of under 34k.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
First TV recollection, is the 1982 World Cup.

First game in person was England v Brazil at the old Wembley. No idea of the year. It was a 1-1 draw, with goals from Romario and Lineker.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My first England match was 1987 against Brazil. 1 - 1 draw with Lineker scoring. Stood on the old terraces in a crowd of 92000.

First TV recollection, is the 1982 World Cup.

First game in person was England v Brazil at the old Wembley. No idea of the year. It was a 1-1 draw, with goals from Romario and Lineker.

Same match, I guess.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
England versus Eire. Ron Greenwood was in charge, mid-week but cannot remember the year. Last game was Russia versus England in Moscow about 5-6 years ago.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
None at the old Wembley but been to a few at the new one...

Brazil 2007 1-1
USA 2008 4-1 I think
Croatia 1-3
Russia 3-0
Scotland in August just gone - that was the best one.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
My first TV recollection of watching England was the infamous 7-1 win against San Marino.

The first (and only) match I attended was Fabio Capello's first game in charge against Switzerland at the new Wembley.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
My LAST match was a 4-1 victory over Holland in the 90s. It wasn't very nice. Great swathes of fans, including dads with small children, turned on the Dutch (the Dutch!) from the start with their walls of jingoistic sound, shouting down the anthem, effing and blinding and w......-signing and all the rest and I thought bugger that, I'm not coming here again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here