Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Changes to Brighton in the last 20 years

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
Reading the 'I miss Brighton thread'

How has Brighton changed for the worse in the last 20 years?

Anything small or big?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
The county hospital has turned into a behemoth.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is going to be an interesting thread.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
For the worse:
- homeless people sleeping all over the place. Went to the theatre royal on tue evening and the streets around there are full of them. Makes the town centre look like a tip. They should be forcibly removed to hostels.
- parking charges which are a disgrace.
- bus lanes
- 20mph speed limit
- least car friendly town in the UK
- the state of Volks Railway. The stations are in desperate need of refurbishment. It's an embarrassment.

On the positive side the western end of western road is looking a lot better with some interesting independent shops and the walk from Hove along Church Road and Western Road to Brighton is now a very pleasant one.

AlbionKebabs

Sep 23, 2005
Hove innit, you mug.
What a shame these disgusting people with no place to live ruined your trip to the theatre.

For the worse:
- homeless people sleeping all over the place. Went to the theatre royal on tue evening and the streets around there are full of them. Makes the town centre look like a tip. They should be forcibly removed to hostels.
- parking charges which are a disgrace.
- bus lanes
- 20mph speed limit
- least car friendly town in the UK
- the state of Volks Railway. The stations are in desperate need of refurbishment. It's an embarrassment.

On the positive side the western end of western road is looking a lot better with some interesting independent shops and the walk from Hove along Church Road and Western Road to Brighton is now a very pleasant one.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Changes -

Negative
Western Road in Brighton has become a lot more chavvy
Too many cars
Expensive bus fares
House prices

Positive
Increased and improved public transport (see 'negative' for the cost of that)
New stadium
North Laine (a dump in 1993)
New sculpture 100 yards off the beach

Same
Intangibles
- Sense of optimism
- Sense of creativity and entrepreneurialism
- Sense of sticking two fingers up at convention

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
The homeless issue is an interesting one.

I can't tell if I just notice it more or if the numbers really have swelled in recent years but it seems to me to be impossible to avoid hoardes of beggars wherever you go in the town centre these days.

Last weekend a homeless guy on the Steine told me to go **** myself after I politely declined to give him any change. I was minding my own business, heading off to meet a friend and I get abused in the street. Completely unnecessary. I am sympathetic to those who have nowhere to stay and I try and help where I can but I can't just dish out money to every one of the thousands of beggars pestering me on the street, it's not realistic. Why does this make me a target of abuse? It does nobody any favours as I'm now even less likely to spare a bit of change or a cup of tea as I cross the road to avoid these people.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

I can't tell if I just notice it more or if the numbers really have swelled in recent years but it seems to me to be impossible to avoid hoardes of beggars wherever you go in the town centre these days.

Last weekend a homeless guy on the Steine told me to go **** myself after I politely declined to give him any change. I was minding my own business, heading off to meet a friend and I get abused in the street. Completely unnecessary. I am sympathetic to those who have nowhere to stay and I try and help where I can but I can't just dish out money to every one of the thousands of beggars pestering me on the street, it's not realistic. Why does this make me a target of abuse? It does nobody any favours as I'm now even less likely to spare a bit of change or a cup of tea as I cross the road to avoid these people.

It doesn't make you personally a target of abuse necessarily. There's a reasonable chance he'll say the same thing to the next person.

Bear in mind that that it's not uncommon for a lot of homeless people to also have mental health issues. Whether that's the case here is another issue, of course.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I make perfect sense.

The thread title asked about 'changes to Brighton in the last 20 years'. Parking has been a problem in Brighton for 30 years or more - whether by cost or availability.

So 'parking' as an issue is a similarity, not a change.

No, it's a lot worse. I use to drive into Brighton and park for free above the station and get any clothes shopping along Western Road. Now I would have to queue for a multi-storey and pay, so I street park in Eastbourne instead. Do you drive?

Oct 25, 2003

yeah but the worse bit is that they ruin theatre trips...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here