Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Numbers on shirts ... again!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Looking at the numbers on the shirts in tonights European game made me even more pissed off at what we have on our home kit.

The blue and white striped team had plain blue on the back of their shirts with a very large number in off-white. Eminently sensible and eminently readable.

The red team (the one from Manchester) had enormous white numbers on their red shirts.

Why did our highly paid back-room team not insist on something similar? It would have been so so simple. Why do players have numbers on their shirts? So the fans can identify them ... and of course the officials. Therefore rule number one is .... ensure the numbers are large, bold, readable, and on a solid background. We have failed spectacularly on all four points.

I don't even think we have had an apology from the club, just a comment that they won't be changed this season. NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Am I right in thinking that the current Albion shirt is for this season only? Please correct me if I'm wrong or if you have more info.
Spot on.

Like the fact we have a striped back of shirt BUT feel that red numbers would've suited it better.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Thought the same. Socieadad shirts looked great.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Spot on.

Like the fact we have a striped back of shirt BUT feel that red numbers would've suited it better.

I agree. Some players look very similar when in front of the South stand from my view at the back of the North stand. It would be nice if I could read their numbers. Whoever decided to put yellow numbers on white is an idiot. And the people that agreed with this person are even more stupid.

Hopefully the new kit next season will have numbers that are visable from a distance on it. And hopefully it will be made by Umbro.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I really don't like half striped shirts. If you are going to have stripes it needs to be front and back otherwise it just looks crap. otherwise you might as well just have a plain blue shirt.
As for this seasons shirt, yes the numbers are a little difficult to read but not that bad. I do have to admit that I've taken to identifying players by the colour of their boots more than their number.
Also can't help but think of the commercial impact to the club. Not sure how much they make out of shirt printing but last seasons with the plain box on the back probably meant more people got something printed that this years which doesn't need it.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Crikey, how many threads have there been over the years complaining when we've had solid back shirts, demands for stripes on the back, and now we have stripes on the back and there's complaining.
:shrug:
Having said that I agree, this current combination is not good. I'd be happy to see a panel like we had on the 1999-2004 shirts, ie a bit of stripes top and bottom with a clear number area. If you go back through the 90s and 80s they would apply a white square Onto the shirt before applying the number which would surely be a simple solution to do right now. That said, if the refs can read them at pitch level, I guess that is all that is required from an official pov.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Crikey, how many threads have there been over the years complaining when we've had solid back shirts, demands for stripes on the back, and now we have stripes on the back and there's complaining.
:shrug:
Having said that I agree, this current combination is not good. I'd be happy to see a panel like we had on the 1999-2004 shirts, ie a bit of stripes top and bottom with a clear number area. If you go back through the 90s and 80s they would apply a white square Onto the shirt before applying the number which would surely be a simple solution to do right now. That said, if the refs can read them at pitch level, I guess that is all that is required from an official pov.

Never ever had an issue before but do with this shirt. Ridiculous in wsu with everyone having difficult opinions on who tackles , plays a good pass etc.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
I think part of the reason why they're hard for spectators to to read is not so much the colour but the fact that there's an outline. If it was a solid block of yellow it would be easier to ready (other colours may be easier still to read).

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Who actually gives a shit what colour the numbers are? Anybody who goes even occasionally should be able to distinguish the players quite clear based on physical attributes and I've not heard the referees complaining so why on earth does it matter to anybody?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Spot on.

Whilst l agree that the yellow numbers are somewhat difficult to make out on a blue and white striped background, l don't think ANY colour numbers would make any difference, be they red, black, green or sky blue-pink.

The only answer is to make the back of the shirt all one colour, or revert to putting a blue or white patch on to the back of shirts.

Hopefully with the new kit next season the problem will be rectified.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Who actually gives a shit what colour the numbers are? Anybody who goes even occasionally should be able to distinguish the players quite clear based on physical attributes and I've not heard the referees complaining so why on earth does it matter to anybody?

I do - and yes as a season ticket holder I do go regularly to both home and away games but still find it difficult to distinguish players in a crowded penalty area at the far end of the ground.

In any case it's not only our fans who are interested in our players - have you never checked an opposition player's number against the team sheet?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I wear glasses to the game as my eyesight isn't brilliant for distance. The likes of Bruno/Buckley/KLL/Ulloa are easy enough to spot (although Bruno/El Abd can be challenging at a glance). But it certainly ain't that easy instantly distinguishing between the likes of Ward/Crofts/Andrews from the WSU. So yes, I relied on shirt numbers for SOME of the players to instantly recognise them. But the current numbers are invisible. Its a mild irritant from a stupid mistake by whatever DOLT thought this colour/design combo would somehow be a good idea.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
Surely its just a way of creating demand for Albion themed binoculars. If nothing else, Paul Barber is a marketing genius!!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

I can assure you that from WSU it is often VERY difficult to distinguish the players because you can't see the numbers clearly. This is not just me (and there's nothing wrong with my eyesight), but also the people sitting around me.

The problem is not the colour ... I couldn't care what colour the numbers are as long as THEY ARE READABLE FROM WSU.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here