Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever tried to cancel a mobile phone contract?

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Just spent 1 hour 15 mins on the phone to several indians ( 4 different passed from one to one) reference cancelling my mobile phone contract. I am in my last 30 days of a 2 year contract so it should be straight forward.

but no......i have to listen to very polite people bullshitting me about new phones and new deals....I only want a sim only 30 day contract so I dont want a new phone and 24 month deal, why can they not understand.?

I get very irate as it really is a waste of my time all I want was the PAC code.

Then they question me about who I am going to use, and (very politely) put down every other phone company. ie virgin is slow, giff gaff is unreliable etc.

The last girl was saying the PAC code takes a few minutes to generate and while I am waiting I can tell you about new deals WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Kin hell, I shouted at the girl , I lost my rag and shouted JUST GIVE ME THE PAC CODE!!!!!

now I feel bad.....Oh well

3 worst customer services ever and NO native English speakers....

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If I get through to a offshore call centre I always ask to be re-directed to a UK based one. Most companies have a UK based one but don't want to admit it.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Won't your new supplier sort it for you?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

As bad as their signal then. I have 3 on my iPad and it's pretty awful a lot of the time.

I once rang them because I wanted more data allowance and I couldn't log on on-line :
He said he'd send me a text with the new password in.
Ok, a text to where ?
To the contract number
But the contract number is an iPad - I can't see the message
He actually said, can't you take the chip out of the iPad and put it in an iPhone ?
Er, no I can't

on and on and on ad infinitum. No wonder it's cheap.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i wish they had made an effort with me, TMobile just let me leave. i had no problem with them except charging £24 for 60 min and no data (an old tariff that had crept up over the decade. i want them to persude me to stay on around the same £, include data and a new phone... nope, whould only offer me new phone on £30. bugger that i said, and they gave me the PAC. 10 min call.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean

Funny you should start this tread because my wife had exactly the same problem with trying to cancel her 3 contract yesterday, she is normaly quite clam on the phone but after 40 mins of going around in circles, and getting more and more pissed off she just gave up and phoned her bank up to cancel the direct debit. she was trying to explain to them on the phone that the reason she wanted to pay up her contract was her business but they were having none of it. (oh and yes it was an Indian call centre)

D

Deleted member 22389

Just spent 1 hour 15 mins on the phone to several indians ( 4 different passed from one to one) reference cancelling my mobile phone contract. I am in my last 30 days of a 2 year contract so it should be straight forward.

but no......i have to listen to very polite people bullshitting me about new phones and new deals....I only want a sim only 30 day contract so I dont want a new phone and 24 month deal, why can they not understand.?

I get very irate as it really is a waste of my time all I want was the PAC code.

Then they question me about who I am going to use, and (very politely) put down every other phone company. ie virgin is slow, giff gaff is unreliable etc.

The last girl was saying the PAC code takes a few minutes to generate and while I am waiting I can tell you about new deals WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Kin hell, I shouted at the girl , I lost my rag and shouted JUST GIVE ME THE PAC CODE!!!!!

now I feel bad.....Oh well

3 worst customer services ever and NO native English speakers....

Very irritating. On PAYG myself and I don't think I would have it any other way. I survive on texts, and a couple of calls for £10 a month.
Not being funny but as soon as I hear that I am using an indian call centre, I just know things are going to be really difficult. Bring them back to the UK, at least they can't understand what you want and vice versa.

TopCat

Jun 17, 2011
3 once sent multiple SIM cards to my old address which they tried to say I hadn't changed... despite the fact they had managed to bill me successfully for 2 years at my current address. When I explained what a massive inconvenience it was not to have a phone, they suggested I went to my old address and demand the occupants give me the SIM cards....

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
The last time I cancelled was because I no longer needed a personal mobile as I had a company provided one. They did this with relatively little fuss as there isn't really anything they can do to keep you in that situation. So I'd recommend trying this excuse/reason in future.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I phoned Virgin Mobile to get International calls enabled on my handset. The call centre in India sorted this straight away and cut my tariff by 50% and I didn't even have to ask. Just saying like.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Have you ever tried to cancel a mobile phone contract?

No. I had kidney stones once though. I hear they are very similar?

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
I had the same with three. At one point I had three separate 3 contracts and cancelling them was a nightmare, once they find out you seriously DO want to cancel it the customer service goes down hill and you end up on hold for an eternity.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Very straight forward to leave O2.

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
Orange wouldn't let me do it mid contract despite admiting that I would not get a signal where I was located. I ranted on Facebook about it several times and then out of the blue someone on my friends list contacted me to say that their sister used to work there as a PA at senior management level and that the people at the top actually do care about how the company is perceived but that they had too many middle managers in the organisations with only limited power and a "book of rules" to follow.

I got an email address from them and the contract with full apology was cancelled within 48 hours with a number port mid contract with no ongoing penalty.

Go to their business site, find the most senior person that you can and email them. Customer Services is a waste of time.

Oh and and it helps if you are telling the truth. I didnt realise that they can actually find out how many times your phone drops a call each day with minimum effort. I'm guessing the fact that every call was dropped in my case at least once helped my cause.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Cancelled mine with Vodafone a few weeks back, they were very helpful, asking if I wanted to transfer this over to a family memeber, I had informed them I had a work phone and had just taken out a new contract as my phone had broken, they offered to fix it, but there really wasnt much point.

Never had a problem with them, wish I had stayed now.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here