Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jake Bugg last night

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Anyone else go - thought it was strange gig - the bloke is uber talented and has a great voice - but I think he would be much better suited to smaller venues? If you think the amex catering is bad - spare a thought for the service at the brighton centre an absolute shambles and a truly terrible venue.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I don't understand what the fuss is about Jake Bugg but we all have different tastes. As for the Brighton Centre it has always been a monstrosity with shocking acoustics and poor catering. Nothing demolition couldn't cure though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't understand what the fuss is about Jake Bugg but we all have different tastes. As for the Brighton Centre it has always been a monstrosity with shocking acoustics and poor catering. Nothing demolition couldn't cure though.

He's a talented young man, with some VERY obvious musical influences. Hardly ground-breaking, but then the young folk listening to him now, are not going to relate to Dylan, or probably even to Oasis.

Agree with all you say about the Centre though. Awful place.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I would agree that his music isn't suited to larger venues BUT when the demand is that high a musician and promoter should just want as many people to see and hear the music as possible. As soon as you start booking smaller venues for popular artists they will sell out in no time at all and that leaves a lot of people disappointed, so then Jake and his promoters book another show at the same small venue so the people that missed out on tickets can come and see him but then that sells out so you book a third. Then the next town or city over want to know why he's playing three shows in a smaller venue so they want two of three shows at smaller venues and it goes on and on until your 30 day tour now goes over three of four months instead of 2.

Oh and us "young folk" can and will always relate to Dylan. The man was a genius and his music and lyrics are timeless.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Anyone else go - thought it was strange gig - the bloke is uber talented and has a great voice - but I think he would be much better suited to smaller venues? If you think the amex catering is bad - spare a thought for the service at the brighton centre an absolute shambles and a truly terrible venue.
Agreed , he was on top form and whilst the first warm up was utter shite the second one was pretty good mind.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Oh and us "young folk" can and will always relate to Dylan. The man was a genius and his music and lyrics are timeless.

Some will, of course. There are a lot of youngsters - girls especially - in Bugg's fanbase, that are drawn to the image as much as the music. My point is that he is introducing a style of music to some, who would otherwise not be into it. Simply in response to those questionning the POINT of Jake Bugg.

FWIW, I'm a 42 year old Dylan fan, AND have the first Jake Bugg album amongst the CDs in my car.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.

Would always prefer to see someone at the Brighton centre than the o2.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Oh, and whilst the Dylan / Oasis references are the easiest ones to draw, he reminds me the most of RYAN ADAMS.

(That's a good thing, btw)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Would always prefer to see someone at the Brighton centre than the o2.

The only time I've been into the O2 was in my lorry when it was being transformed so I can't judge it's qualities. I've always liked the Dome as a venue.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Some will, of course. There are a lot of youngsters - girls especially - in Bugg's fanbase, that are drawn to the image as much as the music. My point is that he is introducing a style of music to some, who would otherwise not be into it. Simply in response to those questionning the POINT of Jake Bugg.

FWIW, I'm a 42 year old Dylan fan, AND have the first Jake Bugg album amongst the CDs in my car.

Unfortunately I think you are right in regards to being drawn to the image rather than the music. Look at Mumford & Sons. When they became popular suddenly everyone was in to folk music and started dressing like middle class farmers but ask them to listen to Guthrie or Dylan they'd turn their noses up at it. Funny old world. Still I'd rather they listen to Bugg than One Direction.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Why is the Brighton Centre still standing? Did anyone looks at the plans and think "yep, that will suit Brighton's Victorian seafront perfectly and gladden people's hearts"? Has anyone ever left a gig there and thought, "what a pleasant venue"?

I thought the whole development was going to be torn down years ago and replaced by something better. Presumably the recession got in the way. Or was it a planning issue?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

What a load of cobblers. Styles went on a game show which is basically karaoke on TV and has had his "career" mapped out by him by people who know how to manipulate children and daft people. Their mentality is if you throw enough shit at people eventually some of it will stick. One Direction seems to be the one that is sticking at the moment. Good luck to them as that market will probably always exist. But to try and claim they are credible musicians is just an insult to the hundreds if not thousands of people with genuine talent who can't catch a break because the hit parade is full of disposable pop.

Bugg isn't really for me but give me a chart full of people who have had to work to get where they are and not just gone on telly show and got picked because they look pretty any day!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What a load of cobblers. Styles went on a game show which is basically karaoke on TV and has had his "career" mapped out by him by people who know how to manipulate children and daft people. Their mentality is if you throw enough shit at people eventually some of it will stick. One Direction seems to be the one that is sticking at the moment. Good luck to them as that market will probably always exist. But to try and claim they are credible musicians is just an insult to the hundreds if not thousands of people with genuine talent who can't catch a break because the hit parade is full of disposable pop.

Bugg isn't really for me but give me a chart full of people who have had to work to get where they are and not just gone on telly show and got picked because they look pretty any day!

To be honest, I think you miss the crux of the shit article. I think what he is saying (besides 'look how terribly clever I am') is that 'pop music now, has no credibility, therefore Styles, in embracing that, is somehow 'real', whereas Bugg, in challenging that, is 'fake'.

What a dick.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
To be honest, I think you miss the crux of the shit article. I think what he is saying (besides 'look how terribly clever I am') is that 'pop music now, has no credibility, therefore Styles, in embracing that, is somehow 'real', whereas Bugg, in challenging that, is 'fake'.

Yeah. But Bugg is no less tedious or cynically-created than 1D, in the same way any of the lowest common denominator distillations of genres - Plan B for soul, say, or Chase and Status for dance, or Bumford for folk - are. They're at that gatekeeper mark of indie and pop where they will momentarily draw an arena-sized amount of people who like the type of music they're approximating in, and then swiftly disappear, a lot richer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here