Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Energy tarrifs clearly listed!!

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Does anyone know of a website which lists each company's Electric/Gas tarrifs. e.g British Gas 12.84 per Kw/Eon 13.13 per Kw, rather than the usual ones, all telling you how much you can save if u switch based on your usage, like most people I can do the sums myself.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
They'll never let you see it like that, because then you are in a position to make an educated choice, and that is one thing they don't want you to do. It's a cartel, always has been, and recent political promises of freezing prices has screwed us all. I managed to get on a fixed tariff so I guess for now I won't be paying any more.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Does anyone know of a website which lists each company's Electric/Gas tarrifs. e.g British Gas 12.84 per Kw/Eon 13.13 per Kw, rather than the usual ones, all telling you how much you can save if u switch based on your usage, like most people I can do the sums myself.

It's probably the time consuming way of doing it but you could just call around and ask for the tariff rates? They're really not likely to say no.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It's pretty well impossible in my (limited) experience. You get one that charges a lower per Kw rate and then find that the daily charge is much higher. I think you'd need to know exactly what you were consuming over time and then work it out from there.

Not easy and I do wonder what the Regulator does to earn his money

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its frsustrating isnt it, you'd think Uswitch could present the basic tariff information in a table (maybe they do, buried away somwhere?)

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
It's pretty well impossible in my (limited) experience. You get one that charges a lower per Kw rate and then find that the daily charge is much higher. I think you'd need to know exactly what you were consuming over time and then work it out from there.

As soon as you've got an idea of your consumption (over a year if at all possible) it becomes much easier (and accurate). Multiply the unit rate by units used for the energy cost and multiply the standing charge by 365 (assuming you have a years consumption).

Add 'em together and you'll have a good idea of what's coming over the year :)

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
its frsustrating isnt it, you'd think Uswitch could present the basic tariff information in a table (maybe they do, buried away somwhere?)

I thiink it's a bit more complicated (probably deliberately) beacuse not only are there different standing charges, some charge differnet rates depending on your usage. ie they charge 1 rate for the first x KWH used, and another rate for the remaining KWH.

So if you have very high usage you would be better with a tariff that has a higher standing change and higher rate for 1st KWH used, but then a cheaper rate for the remainder

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
It's probably the time consuming way of doing it but you could just call around and ask for the tariff rates? They're really not likely to say no.

It would be far quicker to check each supplier's own website.

The thing is, they all work it out with different price breaks, useage rates, daily charges etc. A basic tarif table won't work because supplier A charges 'x' for the first number of KWh, then a different rate for the next number of KWh, whereas supplier B charges 'y' for the first number of KWh then a differnet rate, at a different break point for the rest. The U-Switch lot just tell you how much you will pay, based on past useage, but none of them give you a like for like tarif comparison.

Get a wind generator, some solar panels, and **** the lot of them.

Thinking about it, how come every one of the hundreds of thousands of houses the government is set on building does not have, by law, a bank of PV panels on the roof? The cost, over such large numbers, is negligable per unit, and surely it would reduce the demand for electricity*

*Of course, the power companies would just put the price up to compensate.

Sadly, no government any time soon has the balls to renationalise any part of the energy sector, we're all screwed.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Thinking about it, how come every one of the hundreds of thousands of houses the government is set on building does not have, by law, a bank of PV panels on the roof? The cost, over such large numbers, is negligable per unit, and surely it would reduce the demand for electricity*

*Of course, the power companies would just put the price up to compensate.

instead we have a tax on our regular bills to pay for all those using solar on FIT. different topic. i'm also mystified why they didnt mandate solar installation on all new builds, that really would have made something happen in the market, rather than bribe those with some spare cash/willing to take a loan to fit them. (opps, off again). the main cost of solar is in the fitting, the panels, inverter and mounts can be brough for around £2k for 2KW power.

anywho, i still dont see why a table can be compiled and published, so that those with a calculator can workout their best deal themselves. maybe theres a niche here.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I've also found that tariffs vary according to where you live, there's probably a perfectly reasonable explanation for this but it does make it even harder to find out the tariff details.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I've also found that tariffs vary according to where you live, there's probably a perfectly reasonable explanation for this but it does make it even harder to find out the tariff details.

The tariffs seem to be cheaper where they are competing outside of their traditional regional area. Not so much true competition as "cherry picking".

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
1/1/2014 is the deadline for every energy provider within uk to have standing charge and one unit rate and comply with Ofgem.

British Gas was first to go and new pricing kicking in 23/11/2013 removal of nline discounted tariffs and prompt pay discount already removed to simplify and therefore now have one fixed price and one standard.

Every energy provider must follow suit and will be in place no later than 1/1/2014, ofgem have also dictated standing charge CANNOT be written off so people who don't like it can kick off and shout but it won't be taken off, the only way to have standing charge removed is removing the meter, a bit like BT line rental.

I was thinking of switching it's actually pointless really, all energy providers are following ofgem regulations and although Cameron says switch to make savings, I can't be arsed for the few pounds a year it will save me if any.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
, I can't be arsed for the few pounds a year it will save me if any.

Just switched ours. Not including any changes of tariffs and/or standing charges, I estimate we will save around £550 in the first year.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Just switched ours. Not including any changes of tariffs and/or standing charges, I estimate we will save around £550 in the first year.

Really? I can only assume you were paying a total rip off price before. Where were you and where have you switched to?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here