Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Apple Help

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Between 2 of us. We have an iPhone 4, iPhone 5S and a Windows laptop.

Is there anyway we can sync or send photos easily between our phones or to the laptop?
All we're doing at the moment is sending emails from the phones (with attachments) which are then picked up on the laptop, but it'd be so much easier if we could just sync our photo libraries over the air.

chiefkickass

Jan 19, 2012
To send / share photos between phones you can airdrop them (on iOs7), iMessage them or sign up both phones to the same apple account and share in photostream. As for your PC - Haven't got a clue sorry as I use a Mac which syncs all my photos on photostream

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
iCloud. Download it to your laptop, link it to your itunes account. Select what bits you want to sync to icloud on your device, and you will find it all on the laptop. Photos, notes, calenders, reminders, email, find my phone all available to link to the icloud.

Of course, that might require signing in under multiple names if your devices are in different names. Drop box also works in pretty much the same way, but you have to create a dropbox account, but then both phones can sign in to the same account, and so can the laptop.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Dropbox offers free photo uploading to the cloud from iOS, which your PC would then automagically download.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Cheers guys, the Missus is updating (iPhone 4) to iOs 7 now so we'll have a look at Airdrop.
If that doesn't work out, Dropbox seems the way forward as the photos will also go on the laptop.

All this cash spunked on Apple devices but barely get £20 use out of them!

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Cheers guys, the Missus is updating (iPhone 4) to iOs 7 now so we'll have a look at Airdrop.
If that doesn't work out, Dropbox seems the way forward as the photos will also go on the laptop.

All this cash spunked on Apple devices but barely get £20 use out of them!

iOS7 runs like a dog (or should I say tortoise) on an iPhone 4.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Surely you can just use iCloud for this, photo stream and have access to all the images

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
If you want to do it fast / have loads of data to move, the internet will not be the fastest.
Create a network share on one of them and then transfer too / from.
Or stick it on a USB pen drive.
Cloud is a world-wide sharing solution - in the same house, just create a simple network.
Set the windows machine up as the sever as Apple don't do servers.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Dropbox all the way. You can share folders so photos will be uploaded to everyone you have shared with. If your Mrs does the same, then anything taken by either of you will appear on every device you want it to.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
If you want to do it fast / have loads of data to move, the internet will not be the fastest.
Create a network share on one of them and then transfer too / from.
Or stick it on a USB pen drive.
Cloud is a world-wide sharing solution - in the same house, just create a simple network.
Set the windows machine up as the sever as Apple don't do servers.

Could you do it with a NAS (Synology?) box attached to your Wifi router?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Could you do it with a NAS (Synology?) box attached to your Wifi router?

Yep a NAS device can also be used - same as an external USB hard drive but can shift at 1GB per sec via RJ45 [network dependant] connector whereas USB 2 is only 480MB per sec [20 times slower]. If you go cloud, even with Broadband N, you'll only get 300MB per sec max through your WiFi and this may be slowed further by your connection speed. B/B 802.11B WiFi is only 54 MB per sec.

All comes down to, is it wide accessibility you require or a straight [fast] copy from one device to another? If you have Gb of data, I'd suggest not using any Internet solution unless you are happy to leaving running all night.

Note; all speeds quoted are theoretical maximum throughput.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Assuming you have iCloud setup and on iOS7:
Select photo(s)
Click on icon with box and upwards arrow
Select iCloud
Give the stream a name
Set who to send to.

Bingo.

Doesn't send the actual photo but rather a link to it I think, i.e. a webpage with the stream where you can view/download etc. Try it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Assuming you have iCloud setup and on iOS7:
Select photo(s)
Click on icon with box and upwards arrow
Select iCloud
Give the stream a name
Set who to send to.

Bingo.

Doesn't send the actual photo but rather a link to it I think, i.e. a webpage with the stream where you can view/download etc. Try it.

...is the easy out-of-the-box way to do it.

You need to turn on Settings > Photos & Camera > Photo Sharing

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here