Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arsenal v Borussia Dortmund

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What the hell, I'll take the abuse if people want to get titsy and jingoistic about 'this being a Brighton board'.

In the meantime this should be a good game, and slight more worthy of the competition name, than the usual dross.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - GROUP F
Venue: Emirates Stadium Date: Tuesday, 22 October Kick-off: 19:45 BST
Coverage: Live text commentary on the BBC Sport website and live commentary on BBC Radio 5 live

Arsenal will be without defensive midfielder Mathieu Flamini for their Champions League group game against Borussia Dortmund on Tuesday.
The 29-year-old suffered concussion in a 4-1 win over Norwich on Saturday and will be rested.
Winger Theo Walcott has had a minor setback in recovering from an abdominal problem and remains sidelined.
Arsenal v Dortmund head-to-head
In four previous meetings, Arsenal have won twice, Dortmund once and the other game was drawn.

Yaya Sanogo (back), Lukas Podolski (hamstring), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Abou Diaby (both knee) are out.
"Flamini is doing well. He has practised normally but we will not play him," said Wenger.
"There is a five-day rule which we will respect, not to take any chance. It was concussion and the doctor advised us not to play him."
Arsenal are top of the Premier League and lead their Champions League group after two wins from their opening two games.
Dortmund are three points behind the Gunners after one win and a defeat.
"It's not a decider but an important one. It's an 80% game for the qualifying," added Wenger.
"If we win the game, we know that if we win the other home game we are there."
LINEUP, BOOKINGS (0) & SUBSTITUTIONS (0)
Arsenal
01 Szczesny
03 Sagna
28 Gibbs
16 Ramsey
04 Mertesacker
06 Koscielny
07 Rosicky
08 Arteta
12 Giroud
11 Özil
10 Wilshere

Borussia Dortmund
01 Weidenfeller
19 Großkreutz
29 Schmelzer
06 Bender
04 Subotic
15 Hummels
16 Blaszczykowski
18 Sahin
09 Lewandowski
10 Mkhitaryan
11 Reus

D

Deleted member 18477

Arsenal missing Flamini. Wilshere on the right, Ozil on the left? Not sure thats working...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wenger needs to go 4-4-2 and get the ball up to the big man as quickly as possible.

That is the only way to win football matches, right?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Hope they get well beaten in this and every other game so they miss out non going further in the competition.

Why do you not support English clubs in Europe then ?

Personally think the Gooners will kick on from here and win 3-1

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's an awful lot of Germanic hair on display, not just from Dortmund.

Is that how the kids are wearing it these days?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
So what's wrong with watching competitive BAKING?

Dandyman

In London village.
Predictable whining from the Goons.

D

Deleted member 18477

Arsenals formation 2nite didn't work. Yes they kept the ball but Ozil on the right in the 2nd half? Get him in the middle for god sake!

Hopefully they SPANK palace!

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Not a happy birthday for Arsene Wenger then. Same old story with them, qualify in second place and then draw the toughest side in the last 16, who have p1ssed their group.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Arsenal had the bulk of possession, but it's still goals that win matches. Although Cazorla was unlucky with his effort that scraped the bar when it was 1-1.

Hopefully they will be wanting to keep their top spot in the premiership, and won't take their foot off the gas against Palace.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why do you not support English clubs in Europe then ?

BG is Spurs, innit.

If he is a Spud why bother watching BHAFC ?

From the early 50s I was impressed and attracted by the 'push and run 'style of football from Spurs and as such have followed them ever since. I support BHAFC there is a big difference. As regards following a British team in Europe I think that went out of the window when they opened up the competition to the four places not just the league winners, which I disagree with. So yes I hope that Arsenal get knocked out of the competition.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Flamini was a big miss for Arsenal tonight. He does an unglamorous job for them very effectively, shielding the more creative players in the side. Arteta performed that role tonight, but he is not quite as disciplined at performing it. If Arsenal are to win any silverware this season, they need to ensure Flamini stays fit for the majority of the campaign.

For all the talk of whether Lewandowski should still have been on the pitch when he scored, I'd be asking why Bacary Sagna was jogging back from a forward run, leaving Lewandowski with a hectare to run into down Dortmund's left when they broke.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here