Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer Station Improvements: >> Ready December 13th

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
If they had started at the same time as the guys building the stadium it would have been finished two years ago. Unimpressive

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Would be nice if they could put an extra set of double doors out of the Falmer station ticket hall while they are at it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I can see it will help those travelling between Falmer and Brighton before and after the game but it will make zero difference between Falmer and Lewes

I suspect that changes to the signalling will be more help than a slightly longer platform. Anyone in the know as to what the signalling will allow, extra train per hour perhaps but that then begs the question is there a gap in the timetable somewhere for it to turn round?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I suspect that changes to the signalling will be more help than a slightly longer platform. Anyone in the know as to what the signalling will allow, extra train per hour perhaps but that then begs the question is there a gap in the timetable somewhere for it to turn round?

I'm sure I read they will be able to double the amount of trains per hour before and after the game

This bit of the Sussex Express story is interesting (and may surprise some people):-

Meanwhile, off-peak passengers travelling on Southern have paid up to 13 per cent less to travel on its services since privatisation, an independent source shows.

Passengers using Super Off-Peak tickets are paying 13 per cent less in real terms than at the time of privatisation of the railways in 1995, and those travelling on Off-Peak (Saver) tickets are paying 7 per cent less in real terms. Commuters with season tickets have also benefited, with those on both standard and first class seasons, paying the same as they would have done 18 years ago.

The figures were revealed by Rail Magazine journalist, Barry Doe, a leading rail fares expert.

In Rail Magazine (issue 731) he said: “It’s time for some facts. Look at the old SuperSavers and Savers (today’s Super Off-Peak and Off-Peak Returns) - Southern alone has lowered them, between seven per cent and 13 per cent.”

I know Barry Doe and can certify that he is very thorough in his research (and genuinely independent of the rail industry). If he says off-peak promotional rail fares have fallen in real terms, he'll be right. And he's not saying that ALL rail fares have fallen in price.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I posted this a while back but confirmation is good.

As Norman Potting says:- provided there is somewhere to turn the trains round at Brighton and Lewes. Eight coach trains present particular problems at both ends.

With hindsight Lord B perhaps singling the Seaford branch beyond Newhaven wasn't such a great idea in the long term.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here